Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
PcolaBill
0 Kudos

New User not in US

I bought my wife and each a Nook (I also have a Kindle).  I wanted to share books with my wife and the Nook seemed easier.  So here is my question.  I work in Afghanistan and have no wireless or 3G connection available.  I bought a few books from the BN bookstore and got some from Project Gutenberg.  I downloaded the books to my Mac and copied the .ebub files to my Nook in the BN Download folder.  They do not show up for me to read.  I did the check for new content but there is not any wireless available, so no new content. 

How do I get the books to be available? 

This was so easy on my Kindle, just copy them over and ** POOF ** they were available.

Thanks for the help!

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: New User not in US

PcolaBill wrote:

I bought my wife and each a Nook (I also have a Kindle).  I wanted to share books with my wife and the Nook seemed easier.  So here is my question.  I work in Afghanistan and have no wireless or 3G connection available.  I bought a few books from the BN bookstore and got some from Project Gutenberg.  I downloaded the books to my Mac and copied the .ebub files to my Nook in the BN Download folder.  They do not show up for me to read.  I did the check for new content but there is not any wireless available, so no new content. 

How do I get the books to be available? 

This was so easy on my Kindle, just copy them over and ** POOF ** they were available.

Thanks for the help!

The problem is that you can't buy ebooks while using an international IP adress.  BN only sells to US and Canada.  You should check your CC.  Chances are high that you didn't actually purchase the books.  The only way you can do this is to have your wife purchase the books from the US and then you download them and sideload them.  This is exactly why my husband refused to get a nook and stuck to his Kindle.  He is deployed more often than not and wanted to be able to buy books whenever he wanted without waiting for me to do it for him.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

All you need to do is put these books, which you indicate that have already downloaded (which means that yes, you did purchase them), in the "my documents" folder, not the B&N download folder - the "my documents" folder is where all sideloaded content goes.  Then go to the "my documents" folder on the nook (if you're in your B&N library, it will show up as a button option on the touchscreen) and check for new content.  

New User
PcolaBill
0 Kudos

Thank you. I moved the books over to My Documents and now I see them.  I can use a US based proxy to download from BN.

Thanks for your help.

New User
PAU1234
0 Kudos

Re: New User not in US - B&N Sell nook but not ebooks!

How come B&N sell the nook and books through an International IP address, with and international credit card, but don't sell ebook? How are you supposed to use it? I want my money back!!! In Amazon you don't have that problem, you can just download any book that you want!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: New User not in US - B&N Sell nook but not ebooks!

How did you buy the nook?  It's only sold in US, not international.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 251 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: