Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
realtorgirl
0 Kudos

New User with an idiotic questions

My screen won't light up or the backlight won't work...what am I not doing? Just got this puppy in the mail and I would like to read on it - soon :smileyhappy:

New User
Agent781
0 Kudos

Re: New User with an idiotic questions

The E-ink screen is not back lit.  Your touch screen is if its the touch screen you should check the brightness on it.

New User
realtorgirl
0 Kudos

So the screen that you read from doesn't light up?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

No, you will need to read it in an area with adequate lighting, just like a paper book.

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

eInk displays are meant to mimic the book reading experience and reduce eye strain which is caused by the backlighting and glare of normal electronic screens.  Most dedicated eReaders (nook, Kindle, Sony, etc) all use eInk. 

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Do people seriously throw down 250+ dollars on a device without doing any research?

The only eInk device that had an internal light was a Sony and the model was discontinued due to lack of sales.  Light should shine down on the text, not up, into your eyes.

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

I agree with you entirely....but given the number of uniniformed postings and ridiculous assumptions in this forum.....it is my considered opinion that, yes, most people do seem to through down at least $300 without having a clue...on what is basically a product in its Beta Stage. Though less so now with the 1.2 update.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

If you want to read a book with an illuminated display, read it on your laptop. If you want to read a book like we, as humans,  have for years, read it on a nook or kindle.

The advantages to using a nook or kindle are being able to carry lots of books with you, being able to buy books when you are unable to go to the store or don't want to wait for delivery and the ability to change fonts, so if you need large print books, you have them readily available.

This device is not magical, but it is a terrific device for all the reasons above. Of course my favorite reason is that I can eliminate bringing smelly, dirty library books into my home. There is nothing worse that getting a library book that you have been dying to read, bringing it home and discovering that it reeks of cigarette smoke or whatever.

I love my device, have had no problems whatsoever with it.

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
0 Kudos

Well, at least the thread title was accurate.

Frequent Contributor
Trial_and_fire
0 Kudos

lol@pidgeon92...

When I read this last night, I just thought it was a facetious poke at some of the other stuff posted lately... 

Frequent Contributor
xtina72
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I had said this in another thread ........dont be pissed that you dont have a back light, BE THANKFUL! You would have such an enormous headache if you read with back light all the time. Its so bad for your eyes!

HERE, do yourself a favor and buy the booklight, it works great, you can buy ANY booklight actually, your eyes will thank you.

Contributor
jwave

Seriously guys take it easy on the OP.  You are being kind of brutal.

Contributor
mountainkimmie
0 Kudos

jwave wrote:

Seriously guys take it easy on the OP.  You are being kind of brutal.

I agree.  Not all of us have the opportunity to become as familiar with techie gadgets as others.  Mabye someone gets a gift that they wouldn't have bought for themselves, or they decide to try something new that they haven't done before.  Most of us learned what we know by asking others or by being fortunate to find an answer that someone else provided.  The only reason I have the modest degree of computer literacy that I do have is because I work in an industry that uses them and have used my work experience to further my knowledge for my own recreational purposes!  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I can certainly vouch for the issue with the backlight.  I had some eye surgery two weeks ago and the computer and the TV really irritated my eye, but I had no problems while reading the Nook.  I was seriously glad there was no backlight.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

and you guys think i troll :smileytongue:

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Frequent Contributor
TogTogTogTog
0 Kudos

'realtorgirl' is a troll who has posted this question multiple times. Can we please stop answering this?

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

TogTogTogTog wrote:

'realtorgirl' is a troll who has posted this question multiple times. Can we please stop answering this?

realtorgirl only has two posts total associated with her account and they are both in this thread.  Is there another user with a similar name or something that I'm missing?

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
TogTogTogTog
0 Kudos

You are correct. I should have stated that she or someone with the same name (I have sometimes seen it with a 1 or a space) has posted this question on other websites before. I could be incorrect and it perhaps could be someone unlucky enough to have chosen the name of another person trolling boards.

And though some people have also stated above peoples' comments are harsh in answering this question. You must remember... It took me literally three seconds to type in 'nook backlight' the two major qualifying words, into Google and get an immediate answer. It took me about 14 seconds to use the search feature associated with these forums to also find the same answer (many times). So you can understand why some people would write some 'harsh' comments.

Contributor
Urbanitra
0 Kudos

TogTogTogTog wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance, but please define "troll" when used in this context. Also, someone was referred to as the "OP". Again, please define.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Urbanitra wrote:

TogTogTogTog wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance, but please define "troll" when used in this context. Also, someone was referred to as the "OP". Again, please define.

OP would be the "original poster."

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 268 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: