Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Tiss
0 Kudos

New problem with Nook!

I bought my Nook in May--have had it barely 2 months and the 3G is not working.  I called customer service  Nook support last night and suggested I take it to the store today and get it replaced--not with a NEW Nook, but a refurbished one.  I told them I had a problem with that and they said that either I could keep my 259.00 Nook with the 3 G not working, or, I could get a refurbished one.  Does this sound right?  Not in my book!  Bad customer service to say the least. If I'd had it a year I could understand but this makes no sense.  I have a friend wanting to buy a Nook to we can lend each other books but I am going to warn her about this.  I'll let you know what happens after i go to B&N today.

Contributor
Odiee
0 Kudos

Re: New problem with Nook!

My 3G is not working either!  They need to fix it on their end.  There is NO WAY I'm trading mine for a refurbished Nook.  That's BS!  I found that mine stopped connecting via 3G when I updated to 4.1.  How about you?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@All (Not addressed specifically to Tiss or Odiee, but to the community in general)

We're seeing more and more objections -- often strident ones -- to receiving a "refurbished" Nook in place of a defective one that doesn't work.

Does anybody besides me have trouble with that objection?

To me, "refurbished" equipment means that someone who knows what s/he is doing has diagnosed the original problem(s), replaced any defective components with brand new ones, performed a 100% test on the finished product (more than new Nooks receive, I'm sure), and ok'd  it for shipment.

After a process like that, I'd probably be inclined to trust the "refurbished" unit at least as much as a new one, maybe even a little more.

And if the casing appears pristine and the Nook works to spec, how would you even know it was "refurbished" anyway, unless someone told you.

By now, B&N has accumulated a lot of returned Nooks -- and given the liberality of their return policy, I'm sure that some percentage of them have no faults anyway, and were returned for user error.  It's not reasonable to expect B&N to scrap units that are already good or can be returned to spec.  And I don't think it's reasonable either to automatically expect a factory-fresh unit when a Nook that's been in service for a couple of months fails.

If I'm off base on that, I'm sure someone will tell me.  At length. :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
Tiss
0 Kudos

Yes!  that is when is happened!  I didn't put it together.  I am going to raise cain to get a new one--I refuse to take a refurbished one when it there is obviously a bug somewhere!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

To me, "refurbished" equipment means that someone who knows what s/he is doing has diagnosed the original problem(s), replaced any defective components with brand new ones, performed a 100% test on the finished product (more than new Nooks receive, I'm sure), and ok'd  it for shipment.

After a process like that, I'd probably be inclined to trust the "refurbished" unit at least as much as a new one, maybe even a little more.

And if the casing appears pristine and the Nook works to spec, how would you even know it was "refurbished" anyway, unless someone told you.

Count me in this group, that is exactly my thinking....  Not to mention if it "happened in a year" you wouldn't get a replacement at all unless you purchased a warranty...

Frequent Contributor
Tiss
0 Kudos

ABthree, I respectively disagree.  If you view other posts it seems that downloading the 4.1 update may be the cause of the problem.  If I'd bought a new phone that was defective I would be provided a new one.  You do make some good points about the bugs being worked out of the old ones but I think for me it's the principle of the thing. I spent 259.00 (now 199.00) for something new.  I don't know of any electronic device that doesn't have an automatic year warranty.  I would think this would apply especially for something so new on the market!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Tiss wrote:

Yes!  that is when is happened!  I didn't put it together.  I am going to raise cain to get a new one--I refuse to take a refurbished one when it there is obviously a bug somewhere!

Search for the instructions on rolling back to 1.3 and see if the 3G works then, if it does, keep it on 1.3 until the next upgrade and see what happens...

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

So, how will you know it is a refurb? 

Also, how do you know for sure that they are planning to give you a refurb? Go to the store and check it all out.  

Frequent Contributor
Tiss
0 Kudos

I was told last night by B&N rep that they only provide refurbished ones.  And how would I know it was refurbished?  Because they told me it would be.  I don't want to get into nasty fights on this board.  I am willing to listen to the ideas here but something strikes me as off, particularly if you can pinpoint a problem that flawed within the system. 

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

So, what makes it a refurb?

Just a general question and not directed at anyone in particular - I wonder what constitutes refurb?  If a sim card is bad and has to be replaced or if the battery has to be replaced, does that mean it's a refurb?   

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Tiss wrote:

I was told last night by B&N rep that they only provide refurbished ones.  And how would I know it was refurbished?  Because they told me it would be.  I don't want to get into nasty fights on this board.  I am willing to listen to the ideas here but something strikes me as off, particularly if you can pinpoint a problem that flawed within the system. 

Seriously, roll it back to 1.3 and if 3G works you really pinpointed the problem, I'd love to know the result.  IMHO 1.4 caused MANY problems that it solved, all we got was the "go to page" and it screwed so much else up...

Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@All (Not addressed specifically to Tiss or Odiee, but to the community in general)

We're seeing more and more objections -- often strident ones -- to receiving a "refurbished" Nook in place of a defective one that doesn't work.

Does anybody besides me have trouble with that objection?

I agree with you as well as the other posters who encourage those with issues connected to a recent upgrade to either "revert back" to the previous version or at least wait to hear what the store tells them before they react. 

Personally, if my Nook developed an issue, I would be open to a refurbished one with the understanding that I would be able to exchange it if it proved unsatisfactory in either appearance or functionality.

Hope to see you later at...

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: So, what makes it a refurb?

gqb wrote:

Just a general question and not directed at anyone in particular - I wonder what constitutes refurb?  If a sim card is bad and has to be replaced or if the battery has to be replaced, does that mean it's a refurb?   

Anything that is returned and then resold, essentially...  Yeah, those would both be refurbs, they would have to test the units to make sure those were the problems before they sold it...

The front of the case should be pristine though since that is probably why most of them were returned, nice new bezels...  :smileywink:

New User
JSowers
0 Kudos

To start with, if you're returning it to an actual store, you will be recieving a new device, not a refurbished one. They don't carry refurbished devices in the store. For two, the last post is correct. You will tell no difference between your device and a refurbished one except the fact that the refurbished one will actually work!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

People, read the terms of your warranty.

It clearly states that they can provide you with a refurbished unit.

Even the Square Trade warranties state that.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Somebody made sure the refurb worked.  It probably went thru more exhaustive testing than the original factory shipment.

It probably got a new bezel (considering the number of exchanges for cracked bezels of otherwise perfectly working nooks), along with a new back cover, and battery, and SIM card), plus a refreshed software load and careful checkout.  Far more than the casual glance at the screen while they roll down the assembly line in china and an electrical harness test.

Best of all, your warranty is still intact.   

Every manufacturer does this.  Even Apple has a stash of white boxed phones used as replacements in every Apple store.

Frequent Contributor
Tiss
0 Kudos

I took my Nook into B&N and they determined that whatever isn't working properly can't be fixed at the store. So, I get either a new one or refurbished.  We didn't get into that conversation.  I will be happy with a new or refurbished one that works.  I thank all of you for contributing to this thread.  If it is refurbished I guess i will know I'm getting one that has the kinks worked out. 

Contributor
Odiee
0 Kudos

My reasoning for not wanting a refurbished Nook:

3G does not work any longer.  I'm about 99% sure that it is not the Nook itself that is causing this issue, but the programming in the server.  It seems that when the option came out to be able to purchase a 3G or Wi-Fi only combined with the 4.1 upgrade, the 3G stopped working.  My hope is that Barnes and Noble will look at their server end programming.

Also, my Nook is only two months old.  I can understand if it was a year old or I had an extended warranty, but it's TWO months old.  I shouldn't have to go through the process of setting up a new Nook with my library and settings.  This is, granted, a new technology for Barnes and Noble and there will be issues as there are with ANY new technology, but again it's the 3G that is not working, not the actual product.

I'm not sure who suggested reverting back to the older software version, but I thank you for that suggestion.  I am going to try that and feel confident that that will resolve the issue until the next upgrade.  I'll keep you posted.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Your 3G issue probably has nothing to do with the server.

If you can't get a 3G signal, as suggested in your other posts, you aren't even getting a chance to get to the server. 

Its possible that the radio has become so horribly mis-programmed in 1.4 that it is no longer working.  But if this were true far more people would be affected.

Its also possible that AT&T has changed roaming partners in your area, and your nook needs a carrier file update, or an OTA update.  Often you can induce such a thing by rebooting with 3G turned on.  But at least one Nook update included new carrier files which solved the North Dakota and Montana roaming partner problem.  I suspect this is your problem, because 3G problems seem to be localized to a few users.

(Where are you anyway?  It might help to start comparing location when talking about 3g problems).

Contributor
Odiee
0 Kudos

I'm in CT.  I had the same problem with my phone (AT&T service) and it was the programming at their end.  That's where my reasoning comes from.  I have not yet found a way to revert back to 1.3, but I'm not too worried about it yet.  I'm sure a new software update will be coming out again, and I will first see if that clears up the problem.

Side note: I'm not looking to start a debate on this board either.  I just wanted to know if other people experienced the same issue, if so, then that makes me think that the Nook itself is not defective, but just a bug in the software update.  They'll get it right.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 733 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: