Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Tiss
0 Kudos

Re: New problem with Nook!

I live in Oklahoma.

Frequent Contributor
TheLoreleiSong
0 Kudos

Re: New problem with Nook! - responses to a couple points

1. refurbished - I actually prefer refurbished simply because they've been thoroughly checked out (when able, that's what I purchase from Apple, or any electronics dealer for that reason) and still have full warranty.  When you get a replacement cell phone for a defective one - yup, it's refurbished if they have any refurbs to give.

2. 3G roaming - I had big problems with 3G last week in Minnesota and Wisconsin (we were travelling - DH about had a cow when I demanded we stop at a coffee shop with wi-fi so I could download a book I'd ordered via my cell phone - which was NOT ATT - when I don't even drink coffee).  I called customer service, and they told me that, although it's offered as simple 3G connection, it requires a specific kind of data tower, not the regular cell tower, to function.  Because ATT was having server problems, they could not tell me if there actually were the appropriate kind of towers where we were.  However, once we hit central Wisconsin near the capitol and I still had no 3G, I rebooted the nook and lo and behold, there was my 3G back in all its glory!

3. I am using 1.4 (got the nook 2 days after 1.4 was released, and updated immediately), and have had (knock on wood), no problems.  I guess I'm a lucky one.

Rebecca

New User
roxyyy3
0 Kudos

Ok so i just got a bunch of money from my birthday and i was trying to download some books last night and apparently they aren't downloading AT ALL. This was right after my Nook automatically updated to the 1.4 version. Is this possibly related?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ roxyyy3,

Where are you trying to download from?

Have you checked for new content?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

roxyyy3 wrote:

Ok so i just got a bunch of money from my birthday and i was trying to download some books last night and apparently they aren't downloading AT ALL. This was right after my Nook automatically updated to the 1.4 version. Is this possibly related?

Do you have a default credit card on file?

New User
roxyyy3
0 Kudos

I only download books from home so it should work. And i have been using the 25$ gift card i usually use for my Nook. And it already says it took the money out of the card but its just not downloading onto the it so i can read it. :/

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

On wifi or 3g?

AT&T is experiencing problems right now in parts of North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee.

New User
roxyyy3
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure its wifi. And the Nook itself says it has maximum connectivity. But everytime i try to download *like every minute* it says "Unable to complete the operation". And i live in lancaster so i should be ok.

Reader
ilove2read2MR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Most of us seem to have the same concerns regarding replacement of brand new nooks purchased online or at the stores with refurbished ones because of manufacture defects.  For what it's worth, my two cents.  

The 1 yr limited warranty states that B&N can replace your brand new nook with a new or refurbished one of equal or lesser value, which is included in the Terms of Service that we all would have agreed to by simply purchasing the nook. With all due respect to B&N's finesse at the legalese, from a customer's view point, getting a refurbished replacement for a brand new product that was recently purchased is at the height of bad customer service.

For most of the nook customers, they have been loyal B&N customers, specially for those who have purchased theirs at the original $259 price and were the early adopters for the product.  We can honestly say we love using this product and it is much better than Kindle2 or even iPad in terms of its compact size and fantastic features. However, it is a reasonable expectation for these customers to receive brand new replacements for their old ones that had to be turned in because of manufacture defects. It is after all not the customer's fault that their nooks have to be replaced.

In my case, it is the face plate that is cracked - a known defect. I would caution that if you tried to call customer service, they will give you the spiel of their policy that any returned nooks will be replaced with a refurbished one because that is what they have in stock.  I have been even told it is because it's what is cost effective by the supervisor I spoke with on the phone.  If you read the warranty, it does not specifically state that you have to receive a refurbished nook (it says new or refurbished).  With all due respect, B&N's cost measures are irrelevant to my expectation of good customer service for the replacement of a defective product.  While I understand that the refurbished nooks have undergone a rigorous test, my personal choice is to receive a new one which are supposedly the recently improved nooks with a stronger face plate (nooks manufactured since May).

However, after reading reviews/comments regarding the 3G issues with the new batch of nooks, I can't help but think that perhaps the new batch has software defects with getting 3G connections. Although ATT's service cannot be discounted as the culprit since they have had issues with other mobile devices that they are currently supporting. As I have never had issues with connection, perhaps I should be thankful that my problem is only the faceplate and maybe all I really need is to get the faceplate replaced on the current nook I own.

Contributor
stace87
0 Kudos

I had phone issues and the replacement phone I received was a refurb!! The case was new (or at least I couldn't detect even a scratch) and like one of the other posters said 'it actually worked'. I had only had the phone for 32 days!!!!!!!!

I think, given all the problems people seem to be having, a refurb with all the new parts and extra testing would be a better bet (as long as it LOOKED NEW, not all grungy or somethin')

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

[ Edited ]

@ Ilove2read2MR

Use the Edit option to apply some paragraphs to that wall of text you posted.

Reader
ilove2read2MR
0 Kudos

@ icebike

hitting the enter key to add a paragraph seems simple enough. certainly learned something new from a distinguished contributor.  

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well it still looks like a wall of text from where I sit.

--edit: fixed now, much better.

Frequent Contributor
Tiss
0 Kudos

Here is the latest on my Nook.  I left my Nook at the local store today and they called to tell me it was defective and would be replaced.  I went to B&N after work and I could not be happier with how I was treated.  I got a new (or refurbished)--I dont know that but I do know it works!  The rep walked me thru the whole thing of registering (no big deal at all) and she made sure that everything was working properly.  On top of that,  she refunded my Nook and I "rebought" it at the cheaper price. The difference was put on a B&N gift card--nice!  I hadn't thought about that!

So, I am a happy camper right now.  

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

roxyyy3 wrote:

I only download books from home so it should work. And i have been using the 25$ gift card i usually use for my Nook. And it already says it took the money out of the card but its just not downloading onto the it so i can read it. :/

You still need to have a default credit card on file.  Have you done that?

New User
trobic2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I want to preface this with saying that I am extremely happy with the customer service from B&N, and I love(d) my Nook.  However, I also want to suggest that many of the assumptions about refurbished units are just that.  

My first Nook, purchased less than a month ago, made it about 2 weeks before the pixels began "freezing." I called and someone answered immediately (after selecting options). I didn't have to go through all kinds of long, drawn out "restart six times, throw the Nook from a roof, find an elephant to test your Nook." It was a quick process of "what are the symptoms, and what have you done?" Then, "Okay, sounds like it's defective..." So I did the rapid return.

I called on Monday and received my replacement TODAY. Super, super fast. I have to say that the display on the replacement, a refurbished unit, was extremely crisp. My first Nook was never like that. I was so excited, started the update process, and the thing froze. I did the battery trick, the soft reset, the hexboot, etc. No go. Called support and had NO problem getting another unit (in transit). Was told that the refurb unit was apparently defective. I am not complaining--these things happen. The theory of, "They test and retest and have to know they are perfect" was not true in my case. I don't think this would be the norm, and I have no worry about getting another refurbished unit. I am just ready to continue reading!

Reader
ilove2read2MR
0 Kudos

Tiss, 

Your experience is very promising as I am also going to the store to try and resolve my concerns regarding the replacement of my nook. I have always had excellent customer service with B&N, this is the first time I've been disappointed with THE BOOK service.  I know my store has always been very helpful with issues and concerns.

Thank you for the information.  It gives me hope.

Reader
Iread_Freely
0 Kudos

I had the same issue with the 3G as well as the pages turning by themselves. I called and the B&N rep said he had to give me a refurbished one... Turns out it works great! It even looked brand new. I'm sure they replaced all the outside covers. But at the same time every thing look and work great... No problems!

Frequent Contributor
Tiss
0 Kudos

Good luck and I hope your experience is as great as mine was!

Frequent Contributor
SeaDogMJ
0 Kudos

Ok I have no problem with the concept of a refurbished unit but seriously and refurbished unit that arrives and doesn't work!  Now I have a real big problem with that.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 289 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: