Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
hongloumong
0 Kudos

No Nook icon in Adobe Digital Editions

[ Edited ]

I bought my Nook three days ago. I have installed the Nook update 1.3.0. Everything was fine until I tried to download the library books through Overdrive with Adobe Digital Editions. When I connected the Nook to my computer that has Adobe Digital Editions installed, no Nook icon displayed in Adobe Digital Editions. I couldn't transfer the books I borrowed through Overdrive. Then, I sideloaded the books to my Nook.  The Nook still can't open the file. It displayed "user not activated". I have called the Nook customer service. The representative told me that was a bug for update 1.3.0.

Downloading library books is one of important feature for the Nook. How could the major update 1.3.0 be released without testing this feature? Also, the update has be released for a couple of weeks. I haven't seen any other users to complain this. I suspect something wrong on my Nook. Thanks for any kinds of suggestions and help.    

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: No Nook icon in Adobe Digital Editions

If your nook is connected to the computer correctly is wouldn't show up with a nook icon, it would show up as a drive, perhaps E. It is a mass storagedevice. It sounds like you are missing a step or two somewhere.

New User
hongloumong
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The computer did show a drive like nook(L). Can you tell which steps I missed? I have authorized the Adobe Digital Editions in my computer. I can read the books on the computer. Actually I tried two computers and I got same results.

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo

I think the OP is referring to the nook icon that should show up in ADE below the other items like "All", "Borrowed", "Purchased", etc.

OP:

What version of windows are you using?  You said the nook shows up as a drive... can you copy a file to it?

- Zach
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

hongloumong wrote:

I bought my Nook three days ago. I have installed the Nook update 1.3.0. Everything was fine until I tried to download the library books through Overdrive with Adobe Digital Editions. When I connected the Nook to my computer that has Adobe Digital Editions installed, no Nook icon displayed in Adobe Digital Editions. I couldn't transfer the books I borrowed through Overdrive. Then, I sideloaded the books to my Nook.  The Nook still can't open the file. It displayed "user not activated". I have called the Nook customer service. The representative told me that was a bug for update 1.3.0.

Downloading library books is one of important feature for the Nook. How could the major update 1.3.0 be released without testing this feature? Also, the update has be released for a couple of weeks. I haven't seen any other users to complain this. I suspect something wrong on my Nook. Thanks for any kinds of suggestions and help.    

This isn't a bug, CS was wrong (what a shocker :smileysurprised: ) and there is nothing wrong with your nook (probably) when you open ADE go to the down arrow next to "Library" and use that to authorize both your computer and your nook, it sounds like you need to authorize one or both of these... Make sure your nook is connected to the computer so it can authorize.

Once that is done, all should be good and you nook will show up in ADE.  Just drag and drop from the library to the nook.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Try unregistering your Nook and registering it again.

For some people this solved the problem of Digital Editions not recognizing the Nook.

New User
hongloumong
0 Kudos

I have tried two computers. The first one is Windows & Professional and the second one is Windows XP Professional. I did try to copy the file to my Nook. However, Nook can't find it if I copy the book (xxx.epub) to my documents fold. I also tried to copy the file to .adobe-digital-editions folder. This time the Nook found it, but couldn't open it. A message displayed:"User not Activated". I didn't understand why the Nook need to be activated? I registered the Nook. I had no problem to purchase book from B&N. I also use same email address to download the Adobe Digital Editions for my computers.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

hongloumong wrote:

I have tried two computers. The first one is Windows & Professional and the second one is Windows XP Professional. I did try to copy the file to my Nook. However, Nook can't find it if I copy the book (xxx.epub) to my documents fold. I also tried to copy the file to .adobe-digital-editions folder. This time the Nook found it, but couldn't open it. A message displayed:"User not Activated". I didn't understand why the Nook need to be activated? I registered the Nook. I had no problem to purchase book from B&N. I also use same email address to download the Adobe Digital Editions for my computers.

Please read my post above!!!!  You need to authorize both your computer and your nook with ADE, just registering with B&N doesn't do it.  Do this and then use your library books.

If all else fails READ the MANUAL!  It's in a link in my signature and gives you step by step instructions for all this.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

There is actually a thread which another user has created that includes detailed step-by-step instructions for getting Digital Editions and Library books to work on the nook.

I suggest you search for and read that thread for a detailed answer.

What I got from reading the thread was that if the nook doesn't show up in Digital Editions when you plug it in, then try plugging the nook in first and then starting Digital Editions.

You should then be able to authorize your nook and copy the books to it.

New User
hongloumong
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

hongloumong wrote:

This isn't a bug, CS was wrong (what a shocker :smileysurprised: ) and there is nothing wrong with your nook (probably) when you open ADE go to the down arrow next to "Library" and use that to authorize both your computer and your nook, it sounds like you need to authorize one or both of these... Make sure your nook is connected to the computer so it can authorize.

Once that is done, all should be good and you nook will show up in ADE.  Just drag and drop from the library to the nook.

I did authorize the ADE when I installed it on my computers. However, ADE can't authorize my nook because it doesn't see the nook within ADE.

Here is the dialog displayed when choose "Authorizing computer..." under menu "Library"

--------------------------------------------- 

Authorizing Computer

This computer has been authorized to:

xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxxx

To close this window, click Finished

---------------------------------------------

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The OP's problem is not failure to understand the need to Authorize, as some of you have implied.

The problem is that the nook did not appear in ADE, and therefore the OP was unable to authorize.

There have been a number of these cases lately.  I'm not sure I saw a solution yet, except try rebooting the computer.

Some say to start ADE first, then plug in nook.

Others insist on the other way around.

New User
hongloumong
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

There is actually a thread which another user has created that includes detailed step-by-step instructions for getting Digital Editions and Library books to work on the nook.

I suggest you search for and read that thread for a detailed answer.

What I got from reading the thread was that if the nook doesn't show up in Digital Editions when you plug it in, then try plugging the nook in first and then starting Digital Editions.

You should then be able to authorize your nook and copy the books to it.

I did that too. Still not working. I plugged the nook and then opened the ADE. ADE couldn't see my nook. 

New User
hongloumong
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

Try unregistering your Nook and registering it again.

For some people this solved the problem of Digital Editions not recognizing the Nook.

I have a question about unregistering. Can I use same email to re-register my nook after I unregister it? Will I lose the documents already in the device? thanks

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

All you are going to do is hit deregister and then register in the same account.  You won't lose anything.

When I've had a similar situation though, rebooting my computer and my nook solved the problem and it was visible in ADE.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Here is a thread on the ADE board dealing with this issue.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/626420?tstart=0

I'd be careful in invoking the solution the poster suggested (deleting a folder that came on the nook) without properly backing up that folder to my computer.

• he simply removed the folder from the nook's main drive,
  • properly ejected the nook.
  • launched ADE
  • Plugged in the nook
  • and was able to authorize

New User
hongloumong
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

All you are going to do is hit deregister and then register in the same account.  You won't lose anything.

When I've had a similar situation though, rebooting my computer and my nook solved the problem and it was visible in ADE.

I just did unregister and re-register. still not work.

New User
hongloumong
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Here is a thread on the ADE board dealing with this issue.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/626420?tstart=0

I'd be careful in invoking the solution the poster suggested (deleting a folder that came on the nook) without properly backing up that folder to my computer.

• he simply removed the folder from the nook's main drive,
  • properly ejected the nook.
  • launched ADE
  • Plugged in the nook
  • and was able to authorize

YAHOO! It worked. Thank you so much and thanks everyone in this thread. You are right. Here is what I did:

1. plug the nook and delete the fold ".adobe-digital-editions". (make sure backup files to your computer first). 

2. Remove the nook from the computer.

3. Open Adobe Digital Editions

4. Plug the Nook to the computer

5. The ADE will recognize the Nook and the Nook icon displays in ADE

6. Authorize the Nook.

7. you can transfer books now!

Thank you so much. 

Contributor
Valueman
0 Kudos

Thanks to those who added to this thread.  I had the same issue with my nook.  It would not show up in ADE.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with CS, but they had no solution.  I solved the problem by finding this thread. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Valueman wrote:

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with CS, but they had no solution.  I solved the problem by finding this thread. :smileyhappy:

Very odd, since B&N insists they read every message on this board......

I should caution that removing that file repeatedly and re-authorizing the nook will eventually exceed some maximum number of authorizations, at which time you have to deal with Adobe to get things fixed.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@icebike,

We do read and appreciate the feedback.

@Valueman,

I am glad that you were able to find the solution here.  If you ever want to PM me you can also choose that direction.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 709 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: