New User
promgr15
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

No credit card for nook?

I want to buy a nook color but don't have a  credit card. i was wondering if anyway you can use one with just gift cards or visa gift cards?any info would be greatly appreciated

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: No credit card for nook?

promgr15 wrote:

I want to buy a nook color but don't have a  credit card. i was wondering if anyway you can use one with just gift cards or visa gift cards?any info would be greatly appreciated

You can use gift cards to actually buy the books, but you must have a default credit card on file with B&N.  The default credit card along with some other information is used to create the encryption key to unlock the book.  The credit card number itself is not stored on the Nook, it is simply used to generate a key.

If you don't have a credit card you can use a prepaid Visa type credit card as long as it can be registered and tied to a billing address.  From what I've read, I don't think this is the case with the ones purchased in the grocery store, I would assume you need to go to a back or something along those lines but I'm not really sure.

Put a small amount of money on it and then make sure there is always money on the gift cards.  I know on the Nook, you can simply not register it and buy all your books elsewhere or use library books and sideload them, but I don't know if that is an option with the NookColor.  You could post the question on the NookColor Technical Support board and someone over there may have an answer for you.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

Put a small amount of money on it and then make sure there is always money on the gift cards.  I know on the Nook, you can simply not register it and buy all your books elsewhere or use library books and sideload them, but I don't know if that is an option with the NookColor.  

I've been following the discussions fairly closely because since I don't use my smartphone to surf, I'm seriously considering (and backing down from the original "never" LCD as a reader) a NOOKColor as a second NOOK.  My classic would still be my "really reading" reader, but the color would be the "come to work for lunchtime reading/surfing" et al... device.  

You can't do anything with NOOKColor until it's registered.

But as bklvr896 said, you can use a prepaid AMEX (or like) as your default credit card - this thread is confirmation:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Child-acct-don-t-want-to-have-default-...

New User
nikbok
0 Kudos

This is a little late! But I had the same issue and came across this thread in my searches. I don't have a credit card and did NOT want my debit card hooked up to my account.

I was able to use a TDbank visa gift card as my default credit card. You have to "register" the gift card online at the TDbank website to give it a name/billing address that BN can confirm.  I'm sure other credit card gift cards have similar registering systems, but I had been given a TDbank, so that's what I used.

New User
Grogbutt
0 Kudos

I attempted to purchase an eBook using a gift card only to be turned down because my old card on the system is inactive.  This is BLATANT dishonesty on Barnes & Noble’s part – 1.  they don’t tell you this up front, and 2. they even go in the “other direction” assuring you that there will be NO charges made to your debit/credit card.

I have written software for credit card authorizations (against ViaKlix and Cybersource), and I can tell you there is no way they can know whether or not your card is active/valid without attempting to put an authorization on it.  This ties up funds (whether its a penny or a dollar or a thousand – that’s NOT THE POINT), and in my opinion is a charge, whether they “capture” the funds or not.

This is an UNACCEPTABLE PRACTICE, and smacks of fraudulent behavior.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Grogbutt wrote:

This ties up funds (whether its a penny or a dollar or a thousand – that’s NOT THE POINT), and in my opinion is a charge, whether they “capture” the funds or not.

An authorization isn't a charge.  Period.

New User
platedlizard
0 Kudos

This is really frusterating, if I had known upfront that I could not make purchase without a credit/debit card I would not have paid for a gift card today. I am trying to go cash-only after getting myself in trouble finacially. I should be able to make a purchase just using a gift card this is REALLY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE and one more reason for me to not use Barnes and Noble.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

platedlizard wrote:

This is really frusterating, if I had known upfront that I could not make purchase without a credit/debit card I would not have paid for a gift card today. I am trying to go cash-only after getting myself in trouble finacially. I should be able to make a purchase just using a gift card this is REALLY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE and one more reason for me to not use Barnes and Noble.

By "cash-only" do you mean you have abandoned having a bank altogether?

Otherwise, most banks (credit unions, whatever) can issue you a debit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo that works like a credit card, but has no credit line associated with it for you to abuse or get in financial trouble with.

There are also alternatives with pre-paid cards, but they usually have fees associated.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

platedlizard wrote:

Did you not check out the FAQs?  It states it right there.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-books-frequently-asked-questions-faq/379003486

What are my payment options?

We accept American Express, MasterCard, Discover, Visa, Diners Club, and JCB. You must have a default payment card and billing address set up to purchase a NOOK Book.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
keriflur
0 Kudos

May I direct you to the search button --> on your upper right?  There are solutions to this, such as prepaid credit cards that have an address associated to them.  You can find lots more info via a forum search.

And you CAN use a gift card to pay, you just need to have a credit card on the account.

New User
sdt211
0 Kudos

I bought this Nook for my 13 year old and I'm not putting a credit card number on her account. I will return the product and buy an Apple IPad mini or something that is a little more friendly. I just believe it is a very bad business model to force customers to use a credit card regardless if it is a prepaid or not. I bought her a gift card for the very reason of not wanting to use a credit card.

Oh Well BN's loss - I have no problems returning the Nook and I'm sure I will not be the only one.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

sdt211 wrote:

I bought this Nook for my 13 year old and I'm not putting a credit card number on her account. I will return the product and buy an Apple IPad mini or something that is a little more friendly. I just believe it is a very bad business model to force customers to use a credit card regardless if it is a prepaid or not. I bought her a gift card for the very reason of not wanting to use a credit card.

Oh Well BN's loss - I have no problems returning the Nook and I'm sure I will not be the only one.

A very short amount of research you would ave known that the DRM used by BN requires a cc.  This is the DRM  that's been she'd since the first Nook was released, it shouldn't be a surprise.   You can get a prepaid card, as long as it can be registered to an address, and use that.  The cc number along with your account name are used to create the DRM encryption key to unlock the books.  The cc is used because you are not likely to share that number with just anyone.  Other companies use different methods of DRM.  BN's method allows for sharing books by entering the cc in the other device, something you can't do with most other DRM.  

New User
justinotherhic
0 Kudos

The DRM using a CC#  is a load of BS

They want to have a  real name and physical address of every person using their product.

probably so the fed gov can track what you;re reading

Otherwise  B&N would have another method  for the DRM.

You really think we are so stupid as to believe  your excuse?

Kindle here I come!

Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

I think use of CC for DRM is a really really bad decision. But I don't see why it cannot be changed. I have more than once being prompted to enter my CC number to unlock a book that I own. It is very annoying and it always make the experience very bad because I may not carry that CC any more.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

nooktwo wrote:

I think use of CC for DRM is a really really bad decision. But I don't see why it cannot be changed. I have more than once being prompted to enter my CC number to unlock a book that I own. It is very annoying and it always make the experience very bad because I may not carry that CC any more.

I was under the belief that they could be changed... By archiving the books (clearing them off the Nook itself), and then downloading them fresh.

The download action, I thought, applies the CURRENT credit card into the DRM. It's when you save a copy of the file on a computer and delete the book from B&N overall that your are locked into the original CC number when loading that saved backup onto a reader.

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

justinotherhic wrote:

The DRM using a CC#  is a load of BS

They want to have a  real name and physical address of every person using their product.

probably so the fed gov can track what you;re reading

Otherwise  B&N would have another method  for the DRM.

You really think we are so stupid as to believe  your excuse?

Kindle here I come!

careful, I heard the guys in the black helicopters love everything coming out of NW America.

New User
kaydhil
0 Kudos

I added my cc to my grandsons nook to buy a game....did not do any research, he received it for a gift..had no idea I could not remove the card as it became the default card on file until another cc replaced it. I had no idea that my card would be hit...and it not only hit my card but his barnes and noble gift card as well. We got double charged, it took me two episodes on customer support and about ten hours to free my card and now to use the gift cards he got a credit card has to be purchased and added before he can use those gift cards. I agree its a really poor customer service plan and I am talking to his parents about returning it and getting something else that does not require a credit card on file for a ten year old. Yes you can set and password so no purchases can be made but I say buyer beware...I have went online and made purchases then removed my card from "online gaming places" WITH NO DIFFICULTIES but getting my card removed from this required crashing the system...it made me sad for him that something he so loved causes me such a problem...he was old enough to realize why this was a problem....just sayin
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

kaydhil wrote:
I added my cc to my grandsons nook to buy a game....did not do any research, he received it for a gift..had no idea I could not remove the card as it became the default card on file until another cc replaced it. I had no idea that my card would be hit...and it not only hit my card but his barnes and noble gift card as well. We got double charged, it took me two episodes on customer support and about ten hours to free my card and now to use the gift cards he got a credit card has to be purchased and added before he can use those gift cards. I agree its a really poor customer service plan and I am talking to his parents about returning it and getting something else that does not require a credit card on file for a ten year old. Yes you can set and password so no purchases can be made but I say buyer beware...I have went online and made purchases then removed my card from "online gaming places" WITH NO DIFFICULTIES but getting my card removed from this required crashing the system...it made me sad for him that something he so loved causes me such a problem...he was old enough to realize why this was a problem....just sayin

Is he old enough to read the plethora of solutions posted in this thread that address the issue you had? 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
Tim_Shores
0 Kudos

I have no intention of ever buying anything from B&N. I got my Nook because the price was right, and I needed a new eReader. I'd been told it would read the PDF files I already have on my PC.
Simply put, if it had said on the box that it is required that you input a CC in order to use it, I'd have never bought it. It's deceptive marketing, at best. At worst... I won't go there. But I will be returning my Nook.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Tim_Shores, which Nook do you have? At least some don't need to be registered in order to use (though the functionality is hindered). The N1E will read pdf files, but the eInk Nooks aren't the greatest for them.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:40 members 504 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: