Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
ImTinkerbell
0 Kudos

NooB - Classic Nook touchscreen sensitivity

[ Edited ]

Hi all... NooB here with a question.

I recently purchased one of the certified preowned classic Nooks, and have noticed that it will oftentimes not register the touch of my finger when using the touchscreen, (particularly with the scrolling feature).

Even when it does sense the touch of my finger, it can be rather slow to actually respond.

Is there a way to calibrate the touchscreen to make it a bit more sensitive?

Is it just my technique, or is it possible the certified preowned Nook I purchased might actually have a problem and need to be exchanged?

Thank you for any help!

Tink :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Re: NooB - Classic Nook touchscreen sensitivity

There is no calibration. The touchscreen is sensitive to skin, and tapping it with a fingernail or the like won't usually work. It also prefers a lighter touch; don't press. And be patient; it takes a fraction of a second to react.

Reader 4
N_M_K
0 Kudos

Hi - I got the pre-owned - reconditioned  nook about 6 weeks ago. I haven't run into any problems with my touchscreen.I  think my technique has improved and I'm accustomed to the speed (or lack of) now. But at first I was impatient with it. Do LOVE it all in all.

Frequent Contributor
Anastacia01

yes be light with your touch and patient it will not respond right away it has a slight delay i have found around 1 second or so and if you press to hard it tends not to want to respond i have also found that on certain webpages my touch screen is slower to respond then on others.

Reader 2
ImTinkerbell
0 Kudos

Thank you, all, for your responses.

I suppose like many things, there is a learning curve to developing the right touch and technique... something I will learn over time.

One other question... perhaps it's just my age (or my fat fingers!) that make touching the desired touchscreen option challenging at times, (e.g., specific letters on the keyboard, or the correct item on a scroll menu). I understand that this type of touchscreen does not allow for the use of a stylus (which would be ideal for me). Any tips about zeroing in on the right place to touch, or is this just one of those things that you get better at with time?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

ImTinkerbell wrote:

I understand that this type of touchscreen does not allow for the use of a stylus (which would be ideal for me).

Yes, you can use a stylus designed for capacitive touchscreens. It needs to be the kind that works with an iPhone or iPod or iWhateverelse.

See item #5 in this posting: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Didn-t-read-the-manual-A-list-of-thin...

Reader 2
ImTinkerbell
0 Kudos

Thank you, Doug! :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
ChipPM

I've had a Boxwave slylus  for my NookColor and NookClassic for a while. It works great for tapping and so-so for swiping

Always willing to try new things I bought an Acase 2nd Generation stylus. It has a 'finer' tip than the Boxwave.

I've just discovered that it works very well for the 'swipe' page turn on the NookClassic. It took a bit of practice but no more than an actual finger swipe learning curve.

Reader 2
ImTinkerbell
0 Kudos

I'll check that stylus out. Thanks ChipPM. :smileyhappy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 16 members 229 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: