Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
RavynWytch
0 Kudos

Nook 1st Edition - How do I access the SD Card??

So I have an SD card, it meets all specs for use in the Nook 1st Edition. I have moved the books I want onto the card. When I insert the card, the Nook doesn't "see" it. I can open the books on the computer using the app for that, from the card, so I don't think the card is corrupted. The books are down several folder levels .. ie (author/book title/book files). What am I missing here? 

Please help ASAP!

Contributor
RavynWytch
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 1st Edition - How do I access the SD Card??

UPDATE!!!

When I connect via USB, it does let me access both the Nook and the sd card. I still can't figure out how to get to the books on the card!!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Make sure you have all the books backed up on your computer, then insert the card into the nook, and use the nook to format the card.  This will clear the card and add the appropriate folders.  Once that's done, connect the nook to the computer and add the books (just the files, not the folder structure) to the "My Documents" folder on the SD card.

Contributor
RavynWytch
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help so far - but how do I format the card using the Nook? 

keriflur
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I don't have my N1E in front of me to check, but I believe it's in the settings - go to SD card, and the option should be there.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,998
0 Kudos

The first thing I would try is a reboot. Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds to shut the N1e all the way down, then turn it back on.

The folder structure isn't an issue. N1e pretty much ignores the folder structure, with the exception that you can only put a limited number of files into the root directory, so you do want some kind of folder structure to put your files into.

You did get the cover over the micro-SD card re-latched, yeah? Well, you're seeing the SD card from your computer, so I guess so,

I trust that you're looking in the My Documents side of your library. The NOOK manual and tutorial should already be there.

You are adding EPUBs or PDBs, right?

If you've got a lot of files, it can take NOOK a long time to work its way through them and build the list. By "a lot" I mean hundreds. If you have thousands, it can take NOOK a very long time to work its way through them and build the list. In this case, it might just be a need for patience.

Contributor
RavynWytch
0 Kudos

Yes to all your questions, but when I reboot the Nook it does NOT read my card correctly. it is saying I have 85.5mb/242.11mb (35%) on the SD Card.. when the card is 16g. The computer can read the card while it is inserted into the Nook. But when I go to "my documents" to find the 377 books I just put on there, it only shows the books that are in the "my documents" on the Nook. There is no option in my settings on the Nook, to format the card.

I am about to have a heart attack here. I can't figure out what is going on with this thing!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@RavynWytch,

You last posting is ringing a bell for me.

I seem to remember that an earlier release of the NOOK firmware did not display SD card size properly.

Please confirm that you are running the latest release of the firmware (I believe this is 1.7).

Contributor
RavynWytch
0 Kudos

yes it is 1.7.0... *cries* I don't know what else to do.. it has to be an issue with the Nook....cuz everything else seems to be working properly....

keriflur
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

@RavynWytch,

You last posting is ringing a bell for me.

I seem to remember that an earlier release of the NOOK firmware did not display SD card size properly.

Please confirm that you are running the latest release of the firmware (I believe this is 1.7).

Yep, I remember this issue.

Not sure what to do if the 1.7 software is already installed.  I'd hate to recommend a rollback to factory, given that the nook is working well otherwise.

Larry, do you know if RavynWytch were to try to do a manual update to 1.7 without rolling back, if the nook would process the update or reject it as being the same version as current?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

RavynWytch wrote:

yes it is 1.7.0... *cries* I don't know what else to do.. it has to be an issue with the Nook....cuz everything else seems to be working properly....

Your problem is still reminiscent of earlier SD card problems.

In fact I remember the sizes you are reporting seeing in other postings about SD card issues. You might want to search on that 242 MB number.

I am straining my memory back over 2 years here, but it might be a problem with the card (compatibility problem, not a physical SD card problem), 16GB is enough space fro about 16,000 books. You might be better off with a smaller card.

I also thought the first edition NOOK supported up to an 8GB card, but I might be wrong with that.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Shooting in the dark here... your folder structure starts with author, right? How many authors do you have? It could be that's too many for the root directory. I'm trying to remember what the limit is for the root directory, but I'm coming up blank. Ah, here we are... "150 to 200" from my personal playing around a year ago. No guarantees on the accuracy of that.

I ended up creating one more level of folder at the root that I called simply "ebooks" and then I put all of my e-book folders in there. You might give that a try: "ebooks">author>title.

Ah, here's more information, from Microsoft. The FAT filesystem format used on the SD card only has room for 512 entries in the root, and if you use long file names (longer than the 8.3 form) additional entries are needed for those. I suspect the author names are all "long". You can put all the files (and folders) you want into other folders — only the root folder is limited. This doesn't apply to FAT32, which is why you can put the files on there using your PC. But there's still a limit that the N1e can read.

Contributor
RavynWytch
0 Kudos

I tried putting them all into one folder, didn't work. tried putting them all in with no folder structure - just out in the main drive, didn't work. tried copying folder structure from nook, didn't work.. I don't know what else to try. I can read the card from the pc while usb connected, but Nook isn't reading it. Have newest software update as well.....about to give it up and throw the thing out the window!!!!!!

Contributor
RavynWytch
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 1st Edition - How do I access the SD Card?? NEW INFO

New Info!! I put the sd card into my Nook Color and it's reading it fine!!! I'm going to take a break - but please feel free to keep posting anything you think can help me!!! Thanks to everyone that has posted so far!! 

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Okay, another shot in the dark. The N1e is kinda funny about finding files. For example, you can't rename a file on the NOOK using the USB connection, because the N1e won't realize it happened. You have to delete the file from the NOOK and copy the file back over to the N1e with the new name.

So, here's something to try. Set up a folder on your PC with everything that's on the SD card. If you want, you can copy it over the USB cable from N1e to PC. Then copy that folder to the USB card from PC to N1e, rewriting everything. That way the N1e will see the files get added. Be sure to eject the USB connections when you're done, so that the N1e will know that the connection has been closed.

(You can try this with just a couple of files first to see if the N1e sees them. That might save you some time.)

The N1e is based on a very early version of Android, and of course the NOOK software was the very first version of that. There definitely are some kinks in the software.

Contributor
RavynWytch
0 Kudos

Still didn't work.. :smileysad: I cannot think what the problem could be.. unless the card reader in the Nook is corrupted.... *sigh*......thanks for all the help, I'm going to keep trying things 'til I get it to work......

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry to be repeating myself, but I am fairly sure the NOOK First Edition only supports up to an 8GB SD card. The 16 and 32GB cards are only supported in later models.

I believe the 16GB and larger cards comply with the SDXC standard and the N1E only supports SD and SDHC.

Contributor
RavynWytch
0 Kudos

The info i found here http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Support-NOOK-1st-Edition/379003191/ says that it can go up to 16g..... "You can add up to 16GB on your NOOK. The device supports supplemental microSD or microSDHC cards. Class 2, 4 and 6 cards are supported." ......

Contributor
RavynWytch
0 Kudos

Well I gave up trying to read the card in the Nook.  I took all the books and put them on the Nook itself, instead.  Now it's of course, taking FOREVER to find the new items, but we'll let it keep on trying.... Thanks to EVERYONE that posted and tried to help me on this.. I know how frustrating it is when it's not "your problem" that you're trying to fix. :smileywink: Thanks again y'all!!

keriflur
0 Kudos

I still can't help but think there was a problem with the installation of the 1.7 update, as that update was the one that was supposed to fix the sd card issue that the 1.6 update introduced. Maybe you could try side loading the update again? 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 512 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: