Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Nook DLST Issue Solved - I Think

Since I currently have the "luxury" of two nooks at my disposal AND had to just set one of those up, I think I know what's happening...

My "old" nook showed the correct time all along, the new nook when I set it up and selected the Pacific time zone was an hour off.  Everytime I check for content or plugged it into the computer the time could correct itself and my nook was in tune with everything else in the house BUT when I went into settings the thing had reverted back to Mountain time.

The time zones are all set for standard time, the nook appears to correct for this during DLST by jumping time zones.  I went to the extreme measure of unboxing the old nook (you think taking it out of the box is difficult, try putting it back in!) and sure enought, that nook also had moved along to the Mountain time zone.

Those of you with the correct time showing, please check your settings and see if this holds true.

I know I never checked the settings when my nook caught up to the DLST change and I bet most of us didn't.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Nook DLST Issue Solved - I Think

FrogAlum wrote:

Since I currently have the "luxury" of two nooks at my disposal AND had to just set one of those up, I think I know what's happening...

My "old" nook showed the correct time all along, the new nook when I set it up and selected the Pacific time zone was an hour off.  Everytime I check for content or plugged it into the computer the time could correct itself and my nook was in tune with everything else in the house BUT when I went into settings the thing had reverted back to Mountain time.

The time zones are all set for standard time, the nook appears to correct for this during DLST by jumping time zones.  I went to the extreme measure of unboxing the old nook (you think taking it out of the box is difficult, try putting it back in!) and sure enought, that nook also had moved along to the Mountain time zone.

Those of you with the correct time showing, please check your settings and see if this holds true.

I know I never checked the settings when my nook caught up to the DLST change and I bet most of us didn't.

Sorry FrodAlum, my nook shows the correct time and the correct time zone (Eastern GMT-5).

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

My nook is showing the current (DST) time for my zone.  Settings indicate, (GMT-5:00) Eastern Standard Time.  It is also set to 12 hour mode.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart wrote:

My nook is showing the current (DST) time for my zone.  Settings indicate, (GMT-5:00) Eastern Standard Time.  It is also set to 12 hour mode.

Shoot, I thought we might have it...  I would think it's an old/new issue but then I'v had the other one since 1/26...

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Mine's a week-and-a-half old, bought off the shelf at a local B&N.

I've never touched the time. It was correct when it started up the first time, and it shows the right time now but the wrong time zone: MST instead of PDT. Either one is still GMT-7.

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Sorry.  My nook adjusted for DST properly and is still set as GMT -7, Mountain Standard Time.

Mine also adjusted to DST & the time is accurate but is set for mountain standard time, not pacific daylight time. Never ocurred to me to look.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

It sounds like only people on the left coast are having their nooks adjust to Daylight Savings Time by changing the Time Zone.

Did anyone in the Eastern time zone have their nook change to Atlantic?

Anyone in Central changed to Eastern?

Finally anyone in Mountain changed to Central?

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

I'm on the east coast...my nook is set to Eastern Standard Time, GMT-5.  It adjusted itself perfectly for DST.

Correspondent
katworley
0 Kudos

Hmmm.... I'm also in California, and my nook is set to Mountain Standard Time, so it does appear that those of us on the left coast are having our time adjusted by changing the time zone. At a guess, it's probably how AT&T is feeding that information to the nook. I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as the time is correct, but it is kind of odd.

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

AnnSheridan wrote:

I'm on the east coast...my nook is set to Eastern Standard Time, GMT-5.  It adjusted itself perfectly for DST.

Same here.

Linda

Inspired Contributor
psucutie
0 Kudos

I bought my nook yesterday- also on EST.  No DLST.  When I questioned CS about it this morning he said it was a known problem, and didnt have a solution.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Shoot, I thought we might have it...  I would think it's an old/new issue but then I'v had the other one since 1/26...

I posted the same theory in the first TimeZone thread and got shot down the same way. ;-)

I found that after the time zone was set correctly (via the network) that my timezone was off.  (one TZ east of me).  I reset it back, and as soon as I connect with cellular, BAM its back to the wrong timezone.

Contributor
3bondgirls
0 Kudos

I just checked my settings and as frogalum predicted my time is correct after DLST, but my time zone has changed to adjust for it.  I live in central time zone and my settings changed to reflect eastern standard time to compensate for daylight savings time.  When I scrolled through my timezone choices, there are no choices for daylight savings time, only standard time zones.  I guess it doesn't matter what the nook thinks the time zone is along as the time at the top of my nook is correct.  I rely on the clock a lot to make sure I don't loose track of time. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

I'm  in Central. and had to change it manually to Eastern to get the right DST.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

I live in central and my time is correct in central. However it did not reset until Sunday morning.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I'm also in Central and my time still shows Central (GMT - 6) but the time did change sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning.  I don't think it would matter, but I use the 24 hour clock display. 

Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

Mountain time zone.  Mine never changed, so I finally gave up and manually switched to Central Time.

Reader
Mundane_Dolphin
0 Kudos

Re: Nook DLST Issue

I am in the Eastern Time Zone, selected the Atlantic TZ to get the right time.

An odd work-around, but nothing fatal to me...

Reader
TrueRomantic
0 Kudos

I actually bought my nook this past Sunday afternoon, just after the DST switch.  When I turned it on, I had to set the time zone.  In order to be right for the east coast, I had to set it for Atlantic time.  I just got back to my college in central time on Monday, and I had to reset it for Eastern for it to be correct.  It's not that big of a deal, but it's a bit annoying to have to remember to manually change the time zone, since I switch between Oklahoma and Virginia for both Christmas and Summer break.

~Kimberly
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 271 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: