Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Nook -- Delete Books?

Pookmeister wrote:

Oddly, all my books (when I connect USB to computer and open "nook") are under "my B&N downloads" (not under "my documents").

BUT NONE OF MY BOOKS ARE LISTED BY TITLE  !!!

They are all listed by number like this:  2940021133418.epub

How do I find the book I want to delete in a list that reads like that?

I don't want to "pick a number" and end up deleting the wrong book.

Please help.

Thanks.

You don't delete books that are in your My B&N library directly on the Nook, you do it from the website.  Go to your My B&N library and find the book. There's a delete option. But, keep in mind that if you delete the book from the website it is gone forever, you have to repurchase it if you want it again for any reason.  Look into using the archive function.  Find the book on the Nook and on the touch screen find the archive book option.  Tap that option.  Then, on the touch screen, find the hide/show archive options.  Tap it so it says "Show archived items or something like that.  Then when you connect Nook, it will archive the books and they will be hidden.  If you want to see your archived books, tap the show archived items (it will now say hide archived items) and the archived books will be displayed but grayed out.  Look in the user guide or the support pages here for more detailed information on archiving.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Pookmeister:

I agree with bklvr896 that you should seriously consider whether you really want to delete, as opposed to archive, books from your nook.  Archiving removes them from your nook (and you won't even see them in the list of books so long as you select the "Hide archived items" option), but they are available on the BN.com site if you ever want to get to them again.  If you delete them, they're gone forever, unless you repurchase them.

However, if you're sure that you want to delete, the number shown in the file name is the ISBN-13 number.  You can find this number in the product details on the individual book's page on BN.com.  So you can go to BN.com, search for the book title you want to delete, check the product details for the ISBN-13 number, and then you will know what number you're looking for when you go into your directory to delete the file.

I see you may be a relatively new user, so this is a trick I use that may help you.  I keep an Excel spreadsheet of all of the books on my nook, including the title, author, ISBN-13 number, and price I paid.  The ISBN-13 number appears on the receipt I receive when I purchase a new book, so I just add the newly-purchased book and its details to my spreadsheet.  I also back up my nook to a thumb drive which, of course, uses the ISBN-13 number file names, too.  This way, if I have to restore a file from my backup, or if I want to share a book within my family, I can just look up the title on the spreadsheet and find the assigned file name.

Oh, and BTW, it's not odd that your books appear in the file "B&N Downloads" on your computer.  That is where all books purchased from B&N will appear.  The "My Documents" folder is for sideloaded content you obtain from another source.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I'm not sure, but even if you deleted them from your Nook, the next time you sync with your account, it may try and put them back.  

New User
cjersin6
0 Kudos

to delete the sample is the same as permently deleting a ebook that you didnt like not archive but permanatly delete follo theses steps

>go to B&N web site barnesandnoble.com

>sign in to your account

>under the "my account" tab click my library

>a list of books in your library will appear under the large download button next to each book will be a small delete option click that and it will disapear from all you devices

New User
Rangerbrook
0 Kudos

My boyfriend just got a Nook color and we have been playing with it all day.

Here is how it Delete the sample books.

Online:

1.  Log into Your BN Account and go to the link "My Account" you see the little dropdown Arrow and chose "My Nook Account"

2.  You will see where you can look at books and publications you have bought and all the sample ones.

3.  Under the big green Download Button you will see an option to Delete it then say you permanently want to delete it.

On the Nook:

1.  Go to your Nook, hit the Library option, you will still see them.  Done in the bottom left corner you will see a symbol that looks like 2 arrows in a circle.  This is the "Search for new Content" button.  By clicking that you will start you Nook to search you online library and refresh your list of books you bought and delete the ones you have removed.

Hope that helps!

New User
shellbell07
0 Kudos

Thank you!  This helped very much.

Yes, it's some what clunky, but simply put

1.  Go to BN.com to your Nook library, delete those no longer needed, samples, books, whatever.

2.  Go to Nook on your PC, click refresh.

3.  Go to your Nook, my library, to Check for New BN content.

Thanks for your help with the final step!

New User
Wilknine
0 Kudos

This was easily the most helpful hint I found.  I had several books I no longer wanted on my Nook and though I had deleted them from my B&N Library online, I couldn't get the titles off my Nook {even though they would no longer open...asking if I wanted to download the book instead;  um, no...I want to DELETE it!}.  This hint was the only way I could get those titles off my Nook.  Thanks so much!

New User
Wilknine
0 Kudos

This was easily the most helpful hint I found.  I had several books I no longer wanted on my Nook and though I had deleted them from my B&N Library online, I couldn't get the titles off my Nook {even though they would no longer open...asking if I wanted to download the book instead;  um, no...I want to DELETE it!}.  This hint was the only way I could get those titles off my Nook.  Thanks so much!

Go to my B&N Library and delete your selected books.  Turn on your Nook.  Open up My Library.  Select "Check for new B&N content".  It will update your Nook with only titles you want.  All archived books will be listed in gray unless you choose to hide archived items.

New User
tjwelch
0 Kudos

how do i get books that i dont want anymore out of my nook? i have been trying for hours

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

@tjwelch, from above, in this very thread:

shellbell07 wrote:

1.  Go to BN.com to your Nook library, delete those no longer needed, samples, books, whatever.

3.  Go to your Nook, my library, to Check for New BN content.

Thanks for your help with the final step!

If I may, I would suggest that you not delete anything, just archive it.  Follow the above instructions and click "Move to Archive" instead of "Delete."  

If you delete it and decide later that you want it, you'll have to re-purchase and re-pay for it.  Archiving will remove the data from your NOOK and if you choose the option to "Hide Archived Items" you won't even see their greyed out titles.

To hide the archived titles: 

Tap "My Library" (make sure you are in your B&N Library) -->  "Change View"  -->  "Hide archived items."

If you want to delete non B&N documents, scroll to the particular book, Tap "Item Details & Options" and tap Delete.  Confirm until it deletes. 

Contributor
Sstipsn
0 Kudos

The Nook is the same as an ipod... except it "plays" books instead of mp3s... You can't delete songs or archive songs right from an ipod.... just a thought...

New User
jameschristianj
0 Kudos

I've done this and the files STILL show up on my nook!  I've plugged it in multiple times over a period of time and none of those files show up on my computer but they are still present in my documents.  Any advice?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

jameschristianj wrote:

I've done this and the files STILL show up on my nook!  I've plugged it in multiple times over a period of time and none of those files show up on my computer but they are still present in my documents.  Any advice?

Empty the trash can on your computer.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

jameschristianj wrote:

First, which Nook? 

2nd, are you trying to delete or remove books purchased from B&N or books purchased from other sources and sideloaded?

3rd, are you using a Mac or a PC?

New User
froggy11
0 Kudos

thx sooo much it really worked i still think there should be a delete box on the nook, being able to download it would be even better so u don't have to get a brand new nook

twilightkat21 wrote:

ALL RIGHT SO I JUST GOT MY NOOK READER! SUPPOSELY IT COMES 3 FREE EBOOKS(sorry but awful choices nook!!!). AFTERWARDS I PLAYED AROUND WITH IT AND GOT THE HANG OF IT! I DOWNLOAD TWO BOOKS FROM THE SHOP BUTTON.  OR YOU CAN BUY THEM THROUGH YOUR BARNES AND NOBLE ACCOUNT!

AFTERWARDS I LIKE DIDNT LIKE THE FACT THAT I HAD THOSE FREE BOOKS! IT DROVE ME INSANE I COULDNT FIGURE OUT HOW TO DELETE THEM! I SEARCH THROUGH GOOGLE AND BARNES AND NOBLE.  FINALLY CALLED THE RETURN NOOK  #NUMBER TO CALL. LOVELY ASSISTANCE LADY HELPED ME OUT AND HOW TO INSERT THE 2GB CHIP CARD..

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DELETE BOOK:

1. LOG INTO YOUR BARNES AND NOBLE ACCOUNT

2. NAVIGATE DOWN >DIGITAL DOWNLOADS>MY EBOOK LIBRARY

3 LOOK TO LEFT SIDE OF THE WEBPAGE THERE IS THE LIST OF BOOKS YOU HAVE IN YOUR LIBRARY.

4. ON THE LEFT SIDE THERE IS A DOWNLOAD BUTTON UNDERNEAT THERE IS TO OPTION.. ARCHIVE AND DELETE. THEN IT GIVES YOU ANOTHER TWO OPTION.. YOU CHOSE THE ONE YOU WANT...

5. GO TO YOUR NOOK AND TURN IT ON

6. GO TO YOUR TOUCH SCREEN AND TITTLE SCREEN...

7. GO TO MY LIBRARY

8. THEN GO TO FOURTH OPTION CHECK FOR NEW B&N CONTENT.

9. CLICK ON THAT OPTION AND THEN LET RUN FOR A MINUTE OR SO....

( THIS OPTION CHECKS YOUR BARNES AND NOBLE LIBRARY TO SEE WHAT BOOKS YOU HAVE AND UPDATES IT TO YOU NOOK...)

10. THEN CHECK TO SEE IF THOSE UNWANTED BOOKS ARE DELETED!!!!

IF THIS DOESNT WORK! PLEASE DO CALL THE

1-800-843-2665

THEY WILL HELP YOU.. SUPPOSELY...

Contributor
AaronFMD
0 Kudos

There needs to be a new section for the Nook Touch (All New Nook is an overly complex name).  There should be a way to delete books from the Nook Touch only, not just tethered to a PC.  Ask Apple.  This is the post PC era.  My suggestion is a gesture, just like the iPhone: swipe from left to right on a book, and a delete button pops up.  Delete book.  Please include this in the 1.1 or 2.0 firmware update.  I love the Touch, and I'm hoping someone will read this and include it in the next firmware.  I had the original Nook (just sold it on Craigslist), and this board proved to be a place where the admins took suggestions and incorporated them.  I hope they will continue that trend here!

a

New User
angel422
0 Kudos

New User
angel422
0 Kudos

yOUR BROGRAM FOR DELETING BOOKS FROM "LIBRARY" ON Nook is probably the most difficult and worst procedure I have ever seen in any soft ware. Why don'you just spell out (without other inf confusinginfo) step one two three on how to do it. I get to Browse, Delete, Tech Support and I am unable to find procedure. I wish to selectively remove or archive many books from MY LIBRARY on my Nook. I am about to throw the bloody thing away. Do you have a simple remedy? If so, I would appreciate info! Jollyw42@gmail.com
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

@angel422, the step by step procedure is posted above.  Copied and pasted: 

shellbell07 wrote:

3.  Go to your Nook, my library, to Check for New BN content.  Added:  (If you have N2E, tap "Sync")

If I may, I would suggest that you not delete anything, just archive it.  Follow the above instructions and click "Move to Archive" instead of "Delete."  

If you delete it and decide later that you want it, you'll have to re-purchase and re-pay for it.  Archiving will remove the data from your NOOK.

Added:  If you need to remove books you've sideloaded to NOOK, hook it up to your computer via, USB, navigate to "My Documents" and delet the files manually.  Empty the trash on your computer.  "Eject" your NOOK and tap "Chek for new contents" if it's the white-framed NOOK.  If it's the black-framed NOOK, tap your Sync button

New User
sharisadler
0 Kudos

How do I delete books from my Nook ?

Shari

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 586 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: