Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

Nook Fails to work with Sandisk 8 GB Micro SDHC Card on 1.2.0 Software

I spent nearly 3 hours on with tech support yesterday  - nearly coming to the point of returning my Nook for a replacement when I was told that my problem is registered with the developers so I want to find out if others have this problem to increase its visibility and viability.

The Nook registered easily - connected to my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition laptop fine and after installing a Sandisk 8 GB microSDHC card, I was able to copy nearly a 1 GB of PDF files - my primary reason for purchasing a Nook - created subfolders for ease of sorting. 

Ejected both the Nook and the microSDHC card successfully and when I push My Library - all I would get is looking for new content and then the Nook went to screen saver.  I could no longer view any BN content or My Documents copied to the Nook directly unless I removed the microSDHC card.  The data on microSDHC is fine - can open it when attached to the laptop but never from the Nook.

Finally, after downgrading the software, unregistering the Nook, reinstalling the 1.20 upgrade, registering the Nook and testing the microSDHC at each and every step - with the poor Tech (Raphi) having to say over and over and over - we apologize for the inconvenience.  Poor guy - that might be his new response to hey - good morning - 'we're sorry for the inconvenience.'  He tried - several times putting me on hold to confer with others over the 3 hr call, finally just agreeing to record this as a problem and I am running the Nook without the microSDHC card.

Anyone else having a similar problem with microSD cards of any type/model/brand?  I would love to make this a priority item with BN.

Thank you!

John S.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Fails to work with Sandisk 8 GB Micro SDHC Card on 1.2.0 Software

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply but the problem here is the new release of their software  - the version 1.2.0 which is supposed to fix problems with HDSC cards.  I did get msgs to format the card during the call but never at install after dumping 1 gb of pdf's into directories.  Support tried to get me to format it as NTFS not FAT - needless to say - both failed.  This issue is new with the new release of the Nook software.

Is yours and HD card on version 1.2.0?

Thanks for the links.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

GuzziAlfa wrote:

Thank you for the reply but the problem here is the new release of their software  - the version 1.2.0 which is supposed to fix problems with HDSC cards.  I did get msgs to format the card during the call but never at install after dumping 1 gb of pdf's into directories.  Support tried to get me to format it as NTFS not FAT - needless to say - both failed.  This issue is new with the new release of the Nook software.

Is yours and HD card on version 1.2.0?

Thanks for the links.

1.2 since it released.  If you check, you will find this is not a new problem at all, this problem has been reported under both versions.
I would believe the reports here from those that have/had the problem long before I would listen to what B&N support says, there has been a lot of misinformation from that source about the origin of many of the problems.  In fact if you check those threads, I remember some of them reading almost exactly as your original post.
Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

I have a PNY 2gb microSD card and it works great. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Did you reformat the card as fat 32 without the pdf files? There are some issues with the way the os reads the meta data.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

I am using a SanDisk 8GB SDHC without any problems.  It has worked under 1.1.1 and 1.2.  However, I only have a few pdf's in My Documents (sideloaded through ADE).  The rest of the books in my documents are epubs or pdb's and I sideload them using Calibre.

FWIW:  The card is formatted as FAT32.  It originally came installed in my Blackberry Storm.  I replaced it with a 16GB and put the 8 in my nook (I have more music on my BB than I have books on the nook).

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I have the Sandisk 8GB card in my nook.

I bought the Sandisk specifically because of messages I read on this board about some cards not working with the nook.

The Sandisk has worked with no problem.

Did you make sure the card was seated properly and the restraining clip "locked" back into place. There should be an audible snap when the clip gets pushed back into place.

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

Interesting that you ask that question - I did no formatting - well there's the rub.  At first, I just installed it - expecting the Nook to ask to format it if it needed to  - which it didn't.  At the software backlevels, there was a point in time when the device was plugged into the laptop that Win7 said it needed to format the card.  I'd say this happened twice out of the 12 times I had connected the device to the laptop.  When it requested to format it - I couldn't read the pdf's.  When it didn't - I could read them just fine! (from the laptop only of course).

Interestingly - as some have asked - Tech Raphael - asked me to format it as NTFS - it defaulted to FAT.  Regardless - I attempted to format it from the laptop and it would not - Nook didn't ask - Windows either didn't ask or couldn't format it. 

I've read some posts here  - and thank you all for taking the time to post to my question here - I'm especially intrigued about the sole poster who has an SDHC card like mine, not a regular 2 GB and in fact the one with the 8 GB same brand - Sandisk SDHC card.  I must admit, I expected this card to go in like it does in a cell phone - click.

Well, this holder is quite disapppointing it must click the cover in place but only to hold the card from sliding around.

Very strange card holder setup.

So - Does BN ever follow up on this board?  What's the truth - format or no format?  FAT, FAT32 or NTFS if it is to be formatted.  I'm loving this!

Thanks all,

John

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

GuzziAlfa wrote:

Interesting that you ask that question - I did no formatting - well there's the rub.  At first, I just installed it - expecting the Nook to ask to format it if it needed to  - which it didn't.  At the software backlevels, there was a point in time when the device was plugged into the laptop that Win7 said it needed to format the card.  I'd say this happened twice out of the 12 times I had connected the device to the laptop.  When it requested to format it - I couldn't read the pdf's.  When it didn't - I could read them just fine! (from the laptop only of course).

Interestingly - as some have asked - Tech Raphael - asked me to format it as NTFS - it defaulted to FAT.  Regardless - I attempted to format it from the laptop and it would not - Nook didn't ask - Windows either didn't ask or couldn't format it. 

I've read some posts here  - and thank you all for taking the time to post to my question here - I'm especially intrigued about the sole poster who has an SDHC card like mine, not a regular 2 GB and in fact the one with the 8 GB same brand - Sandisk SDHC card.  I must admit, I expected this card to go in like it does in a cell phone - click.

Well, this holder is quite disapppointing it must click the cover in place but only to hold the card from sliding around.

Very strange card holder setup.

So - Does BN ever follow up on this board?  What's the truth - format or no format?  FAT, FAT32 or NTFS if it is to be formatted.  I'm loving this!

Thanks all,

John

What I read on this is that the SDHC standard is Fat32 format, and that ALL SDHC cards come formatted from the manufacturer in the correct format.

I also read somewhere, I don't recall where so can not provide a reference, that attempting to manually format a SDHC card will essentially ruin the card.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

I also read somewhere, I don't recall where so can not provide a reference, that attempting to manually format a SDHC card will essentially ruin the card.

My understanding is that the above is semi-correct.  You can reformat an SDHC but only in FAT32.  The cards low level format (which cannot be changed) uses sector addressing (SD uses byte addressing) to maximize file space and is not compatible with other formats.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It has been reported in prior threads that the Sandisk cards have problems on the nooks.

There are Re-format issues here: http://www.sandisk.com/media/File/pdf/SDHC.pdf

Other brands are known to work.  Search the threads.

Also your problem may well have been simply a mis-formatted PDF file, so you can't positively blame this on the microsd card.  Many people have problems with PDFs with missing meta-data.  Calibre can usually fix these for you with out heroic measures such as downgrading the nook and all of that drama.  

For my money, the best bet is still the regular 4gig MicroSD card, avoiding SDHC all together.

There is simply no point in a high speed storage media on the nook.

You can carry a boatload of books on a 4gig card.  Easily 3000 books.  I just don't buy the notion that you need every book you ever owned on your nook at all times.   If you won't re-read them in the foreseeable future, back them up to your computer. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

It has been reported in prior threads that the Sandisk cards have problems on the nooks.

There are Re-format issues here: http://www.sandisk.com/media/File/pdf/SDHC.pdf

Other brands are known to work.  Search the threads.

For my money, the best bet is still the regular 4gig MicroSD card, avoiding SDHC all together.

There is simply no point in a high speed storage media on the nook.

You can carry a boatload of books on a 4gig card.  Easily 3000 books.  I just don't buy the notion that you need every book you ever owned on your nook at all times.   If you won't re-read them in the foreseeable future, back them up to your computer. 

There is no re-format issue on the page you have linked.  The only reference to format is to note that SDHC cards are not backward compatible with legacy SD format devices.  That has nothing to do with reformatting the card.

As to the issue of speed.  SDHC cards are available in three classes - 2,4 and 6.  Each higher class denotes an increase in speed.  For the nook, speed makes no difference for use but a higher speed card will enable faster transfers between the nook and a computer.

What size card to use should be left to individual preference, what serves you may not serve others.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ignore post.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ProfReader wrote:

Did you reformat the card as fat 32 without the pdf files? There are some issues with the way the os reads the meta data.

I never had to format or reformat the card.  Mine is a Kingston SDHC class 4, 8 GB.

Last night when I plugged the nook into the PC it did ask me to reformat my card (first time I had seen it) and I ignored the message, ejected my nook, plugged it back in and everything was fine, no more message and I can still see everything on the nook.

New User
GrantYN
0 Kudos

Since there seems to be an issue with the number of files the nook can actually index (1275 maximum, internal and SD card inclusive), how many files do you have in your internal memory, and then, how many more are you trying to put on the SD card?

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

I for one have nowhere near the 1275 index limit of the nook.

However, since I posted above that I have had no problems with my Sandisk 8GB Micro SDHC, I have experienced the same problem that others are having. 

It has happened with pdf files and with pdf's converted in Calibre to epub - the same pdf's that the nook would not see after sideloading. In both instances though, turning the nook off and on would then result in the files becomming visible.  Epubs converted from mobipocket and pdb's are visible immediately after a 'check for new content' following sideloading.  

This same problem does not happen with a Sandisk 2GB Micro SD card, this card works no matter the file type.

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart wrote:

I for one have nowhere near the 1275 index limit of the nook.

However, since I posted above that I have had no problems with my Sandisk 8GB Micro SDHC, I have experienced the same problem that others are having. 

It has happened with pdf files and with pdf's converted in Calibre to epub - the same pdf's that the nook would not see after sideloading. In both instances though, turning the nook off and on would then result in the files becomming visible.  Epubs converted from mobipocket and pdb's are visible immediately after a 'check for new content' following sideloading.  

This same problem does not happen with a Sandisk 2GB Micro SD card, this card works no matter the file type.

Let me add something to this...

Before connecting to your desktop and calibre make sure that you are not in the "My Documents" portion of your library.  Return the wallpaper page before connecting to your desktop.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Delenn1 wrote:

Let me add something to this...

Before connecting to your desktop and calibre make sure that you are not in the "My Documents" portion of your library.  Return the wallpaper page before connecting to your desktop.

Really? 

What did you see when connecting while in My Documents?  Did this lead to corruption?

Is it repeatable?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart wrote:

Sounds to me Ed, as if you are seeing a time/workload problem when the nook is reading the directory.

The problem with Fat32 is that reading the directory can take a long time when you have large media, even if the media is not fully filled. 

Your 2Gig card would be much quicker in this regard. (Heck, it could even be Fat16 which is faster yet).

I also wonder if the the problem is still related to the missing Meta Data.  Instead of converting the PDFs, try just converting one from PDF to PDF with calibre, which causes calibre to fix the metadata. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 555 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: