Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Fails to work with Sandisk 8 GB Micro SDHC Card on 1.2.0 Software

[ Edited ]

iceboke wrote:

"Sounds to me Ed, as if you are seeing a time/workload problem when the nook is reading the directory.

The problem with Fat32 is that reading the directory can take a long time when you have large media, even if the media is not fully filled. 

Your 2Gig card would be much quicker in this regard. (Heck, it could even be Fat16 which is faster yet).

I also wonder if the the problem is still related to the missing Meta Data.  Instead of converting the PDFs, try just converting one from PDF to PDF with calibre, which causes calibre to fix the metadata."

I doubt it's a workload problem, we're only talking about 50 books total (32 of which are pdb's) and the update time when sideloading those files that do work is no different than it is with the 2GB card.

It could be a mssing metadata problem but I update the metadata in Calibre for the pdf file before I convert it to epub.  But, I'll give your advice a try and see what happens.  Thanks.

Okay, I tried your advice. 

Reloaded the pdf's to Calibre and fixed the metadata.

I reconverted the pdf files to pdf and sideloaded them to the SDHC card.  No joy.

I converted the files to pdb and sideloaded them to the SDHC card.  No joy.

I converted the files to epub and sideloaded them to the SDHC card.  No joy.

Then

I sideloaded the pdf files to the main nook card.  It worked.

So, I sideloaded the epub conversions to the main nook card and deleted the pdf's - major file size difference - and it still worked.

This leaves it really no different than before since the main nook card is a 2GB SD.  I don't see how the problem can be with the files since the nook reads them on one type card and not the other. 

Either the problem is with how the nook addresses SDHC or how the underlying OS deals with SDHC.  I suspect the problem lies with one or the other having difficulties with the difference in the cards sector addressing, SD's use byte addressing and SDHC's use sector addressing. In either case, I'll leave it to B&N's techs to figure it out.

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

I would lilke to take this opportunity for thanking all of you for taking the time to write out your suggestions, experiences and references to others who have had this problem.  Since I began this thread,  I am happy to report that the issue is resolved at this time. 

Let me explain what worked for me to offer experience to others on this thread with similar problems and to BN support for missing some of the most simple of solutions.

First - the Nook must be powered down and no charging taking place.  That powers up the device at some level so - don't charge, connect to pc or power on.

Second - position the card so that it is cleanly flush with the gates on each side and doesn't slide forward or back easily. 

Third - close the SD card holder on to the gates so that it snaps closed.

Fourth - and this is very important - there is a very tiny slider switch that holds the SD card cage closed so that the card can't slide or fall out.  Use it!  Slide it with a pencil if you can't do it with your finger, it is very, very tiny - worse than the Ok and cancel buttons on the Nook menus - very tiny.  It is a Micro SD card after all, right?

Fifth - connect it to your pc.  In my case Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition.  Two pop up windows will occur - one for the Nook, one for the MicroSD card.  Open both.

Sixth - select the MicroSD folder (careful - the next step will destroy all content on your disk so make certain you have selected the proper folder.  The Nook folder will have folders with my Documents, my Audio.. stuff like that.  The proper folder for the microSD card will be blank if it's new or have your content that you put there where it worked as a drive but not as a Nook storage device.

Seventh - Right click on the microSD card's folder and select Format.  The format dialogue box will appear and you should select FAT32 not NTFS or FAT that BN support recommended.  The advice in this thread was right on - FAT32 is the correct selection.  A Quick Format is fine.  I chose not to label the volume - you probably can with out issue.  Of course formatting will destroy all the data on your microSD card so if you had data on it  - make sure you can restore it.

Eighth - Create a my Documents folder - formatted the same as the one for personal content on the built in storage of the Nook.  You can make subfolders under it if you like but all personal docs will just show up  at the same level on the Nook so it's only for your convenience if you do this.

Ninth - close all Nook related folders and Eject your Nook - both drives eject at the same time with Windows 7.  On XP you may have to do both drives.

Tenth and final - once ejected, disconnect your Nook USB cable and power up.  Your BN Content will be in one section and your personal folders will be in my documents.

Worked perfectly despite 3 hours on the phone with support.

Hope this works for you as well and thank you to those for the advice along this forum.

John S.

New User
Purple7373
0 Kudos

I purchased a two-pack of Patriot class 4 microSD cards in the 4GB size. The nook fails to recognize either one. They both work fine on my laptop. I tried formatting in Fat16 and Fat32. The nook just doesn't see them.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Are you sure you did that tricky cover correctly?

Swing closed, then slide it towards the top of the nook?  Its a pretty unusual socket, compared to what you find on phones.

You want Fat32.  Power off then insert, then power on.

New User
satterfi
0 Kudos

My Nook would not recognize a Sandisk microSD.  I tried it 3 times before putting a Transcend card in which worked first time.

I put the Sandisk back in and it worked straight away.

Go figure.

Frequent Contributor
LizJ70
0 Kudos

GuzziAlfa wrote:

I would lilke to take this opportunity for thanking all of you for taking the time to write out your suggestions, experiences and references to others who have had this problem.  Since I began this thread,  I am happy to report that the issue is resolved at this time. 

Let me explain what worked for me to offer experience to others on this thread with similar problems and to BN support for missing some of the most simple of solutions.

First - the Nook must be powered down and no charging taking place.  That powers up the device at some level so - don't charge, connect to pc or power on.

Second - position the card so that it is cleanly flush with the gates on each side and doesn't slide forward or back easily. 

Third - close the SD card holder on to the gates so that it snaps closed.

Fourth - and this is very important - there is a very tiny slider switch that holds the SD card cage closed so that the card can't slide or fall out.  Use it!  Slide it with a pencil if you can't do it with your finger, it is very, very tiny - worse than the Ok and cancel buttons on the Nook menus - very tiny.  It is a Micro SD card after all, right?

Fifth - connect it to your pc.  In my case Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition.  Two pop up windows will occur - one for the Nook, one for the MicroSD card.  Open both.

Sixth - select the MicroSD folder (careful - the next step will destroy all content on your disk so make certain you have selected the proper folder.  The Nook folder will have folders with my Documents, my Audio.. stuff like that.  The proper folder for the microSD card will be blank if it's new or have your content that you put there where it worked as a drive but not as a Nook storage device.

Seventh - Right click on the microSD card's folder and select Format.  The format dialogue box will appear and you should select FAT32 not NTFS or FAT that BN support recommended.  The advice in this thread was right on - FAT32 is the correct selection.  A Quick Format is fine.  I chose not to label the volume - you probably can with out issue.  Of course formatting will destroy all the data on your microSD card so if you had data on it  - make sure you can restore it.

Eighth - Create a my Documents folder - formatted the same as the one for personal content on the built in storage of the Nook.  You can make subfolders under it if you like but all personal docs will just show up  at the same level on the Nook so it's only for your convenience if you do this.

Ninth - close all Nook related folders and Eject your Nook - both drives eject at the same time with Windows 7.  On XP you may have to do both drives.

Tenth and final - once ejected, disconnect your Nook USB cable and power up.  Your BN Content will be in one section and your personal folders will be in my documents.

Worked perfectly despite 3 hours on the phone with support.

Hope this works for you as well and thank you to those for the advice along this forum.

John S.

I never could find the switch you mentioned.  I saw a little black post, very tiny, but it wouldn't move.  I think it's the thing that holds the card stationary.  I used a magnifying glass and flashlight and everything.  (yes, I am blind.  :smileytongue:)

Frequent Contributor
LizJ70
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Are you sure you did that tricky cover correctly?

Swing closed, then slide it towards the top of the nook?  Its a pretty unusual socket, compared to what you find on phones.

You want Fat32.  Power off then insert, then power on.

Aha! (light bulb) I got it!  Not only am I blind, I don't read very well.  :smileytongue:

Thank you!

New User
Jackfinished
0 Kudos

I have the Nook wifi and I have the same problem as the OP. I've boiled the problem to the Nook being able to read my micro SD card (an Adata 16 gig class 6 micoSDHC). The odd thing is I used the card with out incident when I first recieved the device. I used Caibre to edit the meta data (Title and auther) of a few PDF's and with the device off I deleted the old PDF's and replaced them with the updated ones. After that the Nook would say it was checking for new materials and they never showed up.

Some troubleshooting steps I have taken are powercycling, removing the battery while the device is on to hard reset. Soft restore through the GUI and the hard restore (the one where you hold the power button for 12 seconds 6 times to do a full factory reset). I've tested the sd card and it works fine in other devices/computers.

The nook can read the PDF's with the edited meta data if I put them on the internal storage, how weird.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 1,007 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: