Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
pendleton
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Freezing Up - What I've Learned

I went to download a new book tonight and my Nook froze on the screen saying "Connecting to the Network" I have followed all of the directions through the posts and it is still stuck on that page and when I plug it in it is not charging...there is no light and there is a question mark in the battery on top. Any suggestions? All I want to do is READ!!!

New User
pendleton
0 Kudos

It finally unfroze, but now it won't let me connect to a network to browse/dowload books. Any firther suggestions?!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Reboot it and charge it till the light goes off.

Correspondent
Cleos_Mum
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

icebike wrote:

JdiennoPSU wrote:

In all that time of ownership, this can't be the first time you went to airplane mode.

So what was different about going to airplane mode THIS time?

Same location?

Same Wifi router?

Was Wifi on?

usually i keep it in airplane mode and only ever take it off for thirty minutes or so.  the past two days i have left it in 3G mode and put it back into airplane mode during one of my lectures and it froze.  Maybe this is because the wifi on campus is protected by VPN?  I don't know but at first i was like crap... then i was like I know how to fix this :-)

JJ - you said that your nook has frozen twice. The other time, do you recall if you were on wi-fi or 3G? Reading through several posts regarding freezes, I think I'm seeing a trend of being on 3G, but within range of a wi-fi that is inaccessible due to security. This is what happened to me yesterday.

And just as a personal sidebar: which campus are you on?  I'm a PSU alum myself. :smileyhappy:

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“The greatest gift is a passion for reading.”
- Elizabeth Hardwick

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Cleos_Mum wrote:

JdiennoPSU wrote:

icebike wrote:

JdiennoPSU wrote:

In all that time of ownership, this can't be the first time you went to airplane mode.

So what was different about going to airplane mode THIS time?

Same location?

Same Wifi router?

Was Wifi on?

usually i keep it in airplane mode and only ever take it off for thirty minutes or so.  the past two days i have left it in 3G mode and put it back into airplane mode during one of my lectures and it froze.  Maybe this is because the wifi on campus is protected by VPN?  I don't know but at first i was like crap... then i was like I know how to fix this :-)

JJ - you said that your nook has frozen twice. The other time, do you recall if you were on wi-fi or 3G? Reading through several posts regarding freezes, I think I'm seeing a trend of being on 3G, but within range of a wi-fi that is inaccessible due to security. This is what happened to me yesterday.

And just as a personal sidebar: which campus are you on?  I'm a PSU alum myself. :smileyhappy:

The first time it froze was on January 1st right as my cruise set sail from Florida.  I was on 3G and as soon as I turned it on airplane mode (wanted to save my battery for the cruise even though I had my charger) it froze and took me a couple of hours to figure out how to unfreeze it.  It took me so long because this was before I was apart of these forums and ahd a chnce to read about how to fix the "FREEEEEEEEEEEEZE".  Also, I didn't have internet at the time and couldn't look up a quick remedy.

@Cleos_Mum I am a 5th year senior at University Park graduating in May with a BS in Bioengineering :-)  Still haven't found a job yet but hopefully soon!!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Correspondent
Cleos_Mum
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

p> 

The first time it froze was on January 1st right as my cruise set sail from Florida.  I was on 3G and as soon as I turned it on airplane mode (wanted to save my battery for the cruise even though I had my charger) it froze and took me a couple of hours to figure out how to unfreeze it.  It took me so long because this was before I was apart of these forums and ahd a chnce to read about how to fix the "FREEEEEEEEEEEEZE".  Also, I didn't have internet at the time and couldn't look up a quick remedy.

@Cleos_Mum I am a 5th year senior at University Park graduating in May with a BS in Bioengineering :-)  Still haven't found a job yet but hopefully soon!!

I haven't been on a cruise (yet), so please excuse my ignorance of the matter... but do you remember if the cruise ship had wi-fi? And if so, whether the nook was able to access it automatically or if there was a process to connect to the wi-fi (such as a website, login, etc) that the nook is incapable of completing?

JJ - LET'S GO STATE!!! I graduated from PSU-Altoona (waaaaaaaaay back in 2001) with my BSB. I am currently debating on colleges for my MBA. I live less than 1/4 mile from the PSU-Altoona campus. But I'll be in Happy Valley for the Blue & White game on the 24th. Can't wait! Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! Good luck on the job hunt - it's a tough market out there still :smileysad: - but getting better!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“The greatest gift is a passion for reading.”
- Elizabeth Hardwick

New User
superbillq
0 Kudos

I found this thread because my nook freezes constantly, sometimes every 1 to 2 minutes.  Popped the back off, and found the battery screw very loose. Put a small piece of paper behind the battery to ensure good contact between the battery and nook...we'll see how things go.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 16 members 709 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: