Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Re: Nook - Go To Page Feature

Good point icebike.  If the nook can display the page you are on and the total number of pages, how hard would it be to add this feature?  You're reading a book without chapters, the nook has forgotten your bookmarks and won't go to the last page read - result, a lot of page turning!  If my 5 year old Palm T5 can do it, so should my nook.

Frequent Contributor
harkinat0r
0 Kudos

This is a much-needed feature.  I'm in the middle of The Count of Monte Cristo right now.  It's a 1200+ page eBook with (yikes) no recognizable chapters from the Nook's perspective.  There are chapters in the book but they don't show up on the "Go to chapter".  If Nook loses my page anywhere after page 600 or 700, I will probably throw it against the wall in unconsolable rage.  It hasn't happened yet, but it has me concerned to say the least.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

You may not be go to page or to go to chapter in that particular book, but you could (at least in theory) use the "find" feature to search for text and then search for "chapter 12" or however the chapters are labeled.  A bit roundabout, and I agree that a go to page feature is needed, but it's a pretty quick workaround in the meantime.  

Frequent Contributor
Cycling_Chef
0 Kudos

A GO TO a page number is the highest priority improvement on my list. Trying to remember "a bit of text" might work well for those with photographic memories or who don't have many other things to try to have to remember. I like the suggestions in this thread.

Reader 4
emm_bee
0 Kudos

Reader 4
emm_bee
0 Kudos

Sorry, not sure how to insert the image directly into the post.

[URL=http://img684.imageshack.us/i/slidermockup.jpg/][IMG]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2833/slidermockup.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

You can insert the remotely hosted image by clicking on the little 'tree' icon on the line above and entering the URL.

New User
edu500ac
0 Kudos

I can hardly believe how Nook is poorly designed. Even much cheaper products beat the Nook. I have many e-readers, most of them sold only in China. Of course, the Kindle 2 and the Kindle DX are very popular in the United States. The Sony Daily Edition reader is also easy to find in the USA, and it is a good buy, if one also gets an anti-glare filme (a very necessary add-on). The SD V2 is also a nice product. As for the Nook, it does not have dictionary, not even a fixed English dictionary, like the Kindle. No go to page. No notes. You cannot read books in popular and important languages like Chinese. You cannot even read a pdf file in an European language, like Ancient Greek; to make a long story short, even  a popular book like the Bible does not fit into  Nook. You need special software to insert books into the Nook.   Nook has a battery life shorter than Kindle, Sony or SD V2, to name a few readers. However, since my Nook was a gift from my wife, I use it more often than the Kindle or the SD V2. Therefore, it would be nice if B&N could fix a few of its short commings.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

edu500ac wrote:

I can hardly believe how Nook is poorly designed. Even much cheaper products beat the Nook. I have many e-readers, most of them sold only in China. Of course, the Kindle 2 and the Kindle DX are very popular in the United States. The Sony Daily Edition reader is also easy to find in the USA, and it is a good buy, if one also gets an anti-glare filme (a very necessary add-on). The SD V2 is also a nice product. As for the Nook, it does not have dictionary, not even a fixed English dictionary, like the Kindle. No go to page. No notes. You cannot read books in popular and important languages like Chinese. You cannot even read a pdf file in an European language, like Ancient Greek; to make a long story short, even  a popular book like the Bible does not fit into  Nook. You need special software to insert books into the Nook.   Nook has a battery life shorter than Kindle, Sony or SD V2, to name a few readers. However, since my Nook was a gift from my wife, I use it more often than the Kindle or the SD V2. Therefore, it would be nice if B&N could fix a few of its short commings.

Not even going to try other than to say so much of your information is totally false and/or irrelevant.

Frequent Contributor
QuiteTheCharacter
0 Kudos

You said it!

Inspired Contributor
skatekarate
0 Kudos

edu500ac wrote:

-The nook has a dictionary

-The nook has notes

-You can use calibre and epub conversion to read in other languages (google it)

-I don't even know what you are trying to say with the bible thing

-Windows Explorer/Finder (mac) is not special software

I seriously doubt that you actually have a nook.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@edu500ac,

Your nook supports eBooks written in most Western European Languages, including French, German, Italian, and Spanish. It does not support characters from non-western alphabets. It also displays PDF documents in different languages and different character sets as long as the font is embedded in the file.

For more detailed information on the nook we suggest you visit our nook FAQ and Support page and click on Getting Started & FAQ (see link below):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
Schiefy
0 Kudos

I agree with much of what has been stated: a Go To Page feature is a must. Like others have noted, I have used a Palm device for several years with ebooks and my readers have universally (as far as I can remember) always had some sort of Go To Page function.

While I have not had any problem installing a Bible on my Nook I do have some difficulty using it to navigate due to its size. The Chapters navigation is almost as useless as trying to page forward through the book itself as each book of the Bible has chapters listed (as well as several front matter sections in my main Bible text) that you have to "scroll" through before getting to the book you want (and if it is somewhere toward the end of the 66 books and hundreds of chapters...well, you get the idea). I have had some moderate success with the "Find" feature but that still seems a bit clunky. I am sure my experience with my Bible text must be similar for anyone using reference texts as well.

So, while there are some workarounds for some of the navigation issues there are some additional tweaks that would help make the Nook a better reader (and I still believe it surpasses many of the capabilities of the Kindle such as memory card, sideloading and battery replacement--the main reasons I chose the Nook). A "Go To Page" feature would be a step in that direction as well as some shorter ways to navigate the larger Bible-like texts and/or reference texts (such as a tree structure navigation where you view the 66 books of the Bible, then expand the book you want to the individual chapters and maybe even verses--similarly for the reference texts).

In spite of these feature deficiencies at present, I still love my Nook and find myself reading more than I have done in quite a while with my dead tree versions (and I even worked at and managed a 300,000 volume used book store for several years!). As long as B&N remains responsive and continues to provide feature updates over time I am more than willing to patiently wait for the changes.

In the meantime, we need to keep recommending the Nook and buying eBooks from B&N to provide the continued incentive to keep the Nook moving forward (especially in challenging economic times and media overload)!!

New User
HelloitsAidaAle
0 Kudos

Depending on the book, all you have to do is tap the bottom of the page screen. A bar will come up that says content, search, share, text, brightness.

Just pick content and it lets you jump from page to chapters.

it lets you view the notes and highlights and bookmarks and all.

New User
Kathrynn
0 Kudos

Agreed.  I've been very disappointed in not being able to jump to a page.  The other day I was on page 63 on my Nook.  For some reason, it would not go to 64.  Each time I "turned" the page I went back to 61-62-63-61 and so on. I could manually go all the way back to 1, but could not go beyond 63. I was baffled as this had not happened to me before.  Thought it was the new book I was reading. 

Turned the Nook off and back on and had to flip forward 64 pages manually to get back to where I wanted and voila page 64 was there.  But flipping forward 64 pages was tedious.  I realize this was not page 64 of the actual book, but it was where I wanted to be on the ebook I was reading. I knew it, but the ereader wouldn't allow me to jump there.

:-(

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Kathrynn wrote:

Agreed.  I've been very disappointed in not being able to jump to a page.  The other day I was on page 63 on my Nook.  For some reason, it would not go to 64.  Each time I "turned" the page I went back to 61-62-63-61 and so on. I could manually go all the way back to 1, but could not go beyond 63. I was baffled as this had not happened to me before.  Thought it was the new book I was reading. 

Turned the Nook off and back on and had to flip forward 64 pages manually to get back to where I wanted and voila page 64 was there.  But flipping forward 64 pages was tedious.  I realize this was not page 64 of the actual book, but it was where I wanted to be on the ebook I was reading. I knew it, but the ereader wouldn't allow me to jump there.

:-(

Not sure I understand, after you restarted the device, it still wouldn't let you use the go to page feature?  You don't say which Nook you are using.  The compliant you are responding to is from April 2010, before the N1E had a go to page feature.  The N1E has a slider to get you at least close to the page, the N2E has a go to Page feature, and NookColor has a slider.

New User
kittyhawk63
0 Kudos

Anyone reading this page will find that the Nook Color has a slider bar for going to pages of a book. All you have to do is touch the center of the page you are on and the slider bar will appear at the bottom of the page.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 544 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: