New User
Ally27
0 Kudos

Nook Is Not Connecting To Computer

I wanted to connect my Nook to my computer to add and edit the My Documents section but, for some reason when I connect my Nook to the USB port, my computer isn't recognizing my nook at all, nothing even pops up on the screen saying why or what may be wrong. It's charging so I take that to mean that the USB cable is working and it was working fine only a week or two ago...

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Is Not Connecting To Computer

Indicating your Nook version (1E, 2E, Color or Tablet) and firmware version might help people responding to your inquiry provide more specific answers. It may also help if you identify your operating system (Windows, Macintosh or other Linux) and version.

If it is a 1E (the dual screen original WiFi and WiFi/3G models) does the Nook indicate that it's connected to the computer on the e-ink display? I don't know if any of the other Nook models have similar indications on their screen.

Do other external storage devices (flash drives, external hard drive or camera chip adaptors) show up when you plug them into the same USB port? Are you plugging through an external USB hub or one of the ones built into the computer?

Have you tried a different USB port on the same computer or tried the cable and Nook on a completely different computer? If you're using a system with two clusters of ports (back and front on a tower as an example) have you tried all the ports in all clusters? Have you tried temporarily unplugging other non-essential USB devices like other external drives, printers, USB speakers and game controllers?

The USB standards use ground and two data conductors for data and a separate power conductor with the same ground for DC power, so there would be a possibility of a USB peripheral getting power with one or both data lines suffering from a broken conductor or bad contact at a port.

New User
Ally27
0 Kudos

I have the 1E version and no, the display does not show it is connected, it acts just as if it is charging with the little yellow light turning on.

I am plugging it into the usb hub that is attached to my computer and I later had my ipod attached to it and it was connected fine. I only have two usb hubs on this computer and i tried both and both act the same way. 

Also, I tried to connect my nook to a different computer because i thought maybe it was just me, but it acted the same way on the other computer too.

Im not sure what could be wrong, I read on a thread somewhere that restarting your computer and rebooting the nook could help but i did both and still nothing.

New User
ElaineDrew
0 Kudos

After using the Nook Color (First Edition) for a couple of years this problem has occurred for me as well. The connection between the device and my computer used to work properly, but now does not. The USB ports are functioning, but the Nook is not showing up as a connected device. Another problem I've noticed lately is that the icon that indicates whether or not the Nook is charging is not functioning properly.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

[ Edited ]

FYI: the Nook First Edition is a B/W eInk device with a small color LCD touch panel at the bottom.

The Nook Color is a full touch panel LCD unit that is much different.

As for your problem symptons... I'd suspect a bad USB cable if you have both failure to connect AND erratic charging indicators; that, or the USB jack on the device is damaged.

Baron Wulfraed
New User
query
0 Kudos

A month ago, my nook worked fine on the computer, now it is not recognized by computer, can not unsafely remove it if the icon to do so is not there.
Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Please identify your OS version when making inquiries about connecting Nooks to a computer, as procedures might vary with the various OS versions.

With some versions of Windows I reccomend opening or exploring "My Computer" and clicking "Eject" on the context menu for the "drive" representing your Nook (and micro SD card in your Nook if you accessed it). The context menu is the list that appears when you right click something. Using the "Remove..." option in the notification area might prevent Windows from reccognizing  the Nook again until the OS is restarted.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:38 members 419 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: