Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Brandoch_Daha
0 Kudos

Nook Note Taking

Is it true that only books purchased from B&N may be annotated by the user?  I can't take notes on Epub documents from other sources for example?  That's really a shame.  I can imagine that it might be difficult in some formats to flag the location of the notes, but it should be a feature for the usual formats, not just B&N's offerings. 

Scribe
Kevin

Re: Nook Note Taking

Brandoch_Daha wrote:

Is it true that only books purchased from B&N may be annotated by the user?  I can't take notes on Epub documents from other sources for example?  That's really a shame.  I can imagine that it might be difficult in some formats to flag the location of the notes, but it should be a feature for the usual formats, not just B&N's offerings. 

Brandoch,

Yes, only content purchased from B&N can be annotated on nook at this time.

Frequent Contributor
joeypore
0 Kudos

Yeah, that needs to change.

That's a huge issue.

Frequent Contributor
KevinCK
0 Kudos

Kevin,

If only BN-purchased content can be annotated with the nook, what about resizing the text of pdfs, or doing word searches on non-BN books? Is it that the nook doesn't recognize the text of other documents AS text?

Inspired Contributor
ajrosen
0 Kudos

I'm not an expert on these file formats, but I'm guessing ePub is designed to be marked up, whereas PDF is not - ePUB probably has some kind of addressing scheme along with the plain text which makes it possible to have a text file point to locations you have "annotated". I don't know if PDF is structured the same. For example, if someone edits a PDF separate from the nook (adds PDF comments or something else), it may change the file structure such that to notations would no longer point to the right place, even though the nook thinks it's the same file. Just a guess, but I can easily see this being the issue.

Frequent Contributor
joeypore

Actually...

The way these files are delt with on other readers...

There is one file that is the original eBook; it cannot be altered. There is another file created for annotations; this is defined by the ereader itself and it designed to whatever specification the vendor decides.

The reason I believe B&N is not including notetaking for non-B&N books is because it cannot be synced. If this is the reason, it's pretty stupid. And I'm not saying it is by any means. I really don't know why that's the case.

There needs to be note taking, and exportable notetaking for all eBooks. As far as PDFs go, that's another issue entirely. As you said, they are structured differently as they are not designed for reflow. Whether or not this would stop B&N from allowing annotations, I don't know.

Contributor
alanajoli
0 Kudos

Kevin, you say "at this time." Does that mean that annotations to other files are something B&N hopes to add in the future? (Hopefully along with reading .doc and .txt files natively?)

Contributor
crisandria
0 Kudos

I just got my nook Monday and just checked out adding highlights and notes in documents in the my documents folder.  I was able to add a note and highlight text in my side loaded content from other sources. (PDB and ePub formats)  I've got the 1.1.1 update on the nook. So somewhere along the lines they started to allow highlights and notes in non B&N content.

Contributor
alanajoli
0 Kudos

Crisandria -- good news! Thanks! I'll play around with it all some more. Did you have to install the 1.1.1 update manually? (I just received my nook in the mail yesterday and didn't know if it would come fully updated or need the updates.)

Frequent Contributor
luminessence
0 Kudos

I just tried to add a note to a sideloaded epub book, and it worked fine. I don't have the 1.1.1 update, just 1.1.0.

Contributor
alanajoli
0 Kudos

Just an update -- I've also found that all side-loaded ePub books allow for notetaking, which means all you need is a program like Calibre to convert pdfs, txt, or doc files. Easy as pie!

New User
Hakob
0 Kudos

Notes must be stored in PDF

There is a simple line of reasoning that I want B&N to understand.

There is a vast army of scholars like me who are craving for a good eReader. But the reader that we are expecting must allow highlighting and commenting in PDFs. Why in PDFs? Well, because surprisingly scholars read academic articles and all current scholarly archives are in PDF. Not “a majority of”, but simply all of it. So, if Nook doesn't allow to highlight and comment in PDFs, it is simply useless for a scholar.

When I say “highlighting and commenting” I don’t mean some third party tool which would store my comments in a separate XML file or something (e.g. iAnnotate for iPad). NO!!! My comments must be stored in the PDF file itself!!! For I need to be able to transfer my PDFs from my eReader back to my Laptop with all my comments freely. No limitations are acceptable. The good thing is that nothing new has to be invent, since it has already been invented and it is called Adobe Acrobat. Its functionality is quite sufficient for the task.

I'm just hoping that guys from B&N are reading these lines and making notes.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Re: Notes must be stored in PDF

That's why I am hoping Foxit does an Android version. That is the way annotations work with their PC PDF Reader.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Notes must be stored in PDF

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 602 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: