Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bomor
0 Kudos

Nook Questions

1.  When I connect my Nook to my computer, it shows up as two USB connections -- why is that?

2.  I delete books from my Nook using Windows Explorer, but they still show up when I disconnect the Nook and turn it on -- how do I delete books, so they're really deleted? I have set up Explorer to show hidden files and folders.

3.  How do I set up my Nook so that when I transfer books to it from my computer (I'm using Adobe Digital Editions) they get stored in the My Books folder, rather than the Digital Editions Folder?

4.  How do I get rid of the Bronte sisters screensaver?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Questions

bomor wrote:

1.  When I connect my Nook to my computer, it shows up as two USB connections -- why is that?

2.  I delete books from my Nook using Windows Explorer, but they still show up when I disconnect the Nook and turn it on -- how do I delete books, so they're really deleted? I have set up Explorer to show hidden files and folders.

3.  How do I set up my Nook so that when I transfer books to it from my computer (I'm using Adobe Digital Editions) they get stored in the My Books folder, rather than the Digital Editions Folder?

4.  How do I get rid of the Bronte sisters screensaver?

First, which Nook are you asking about?

1. Do you have a SD card in the unit?  If so, it will show as two separate drives.

2.  Are you deleting books purchased at B&N or books sideloaded from elsewhere?  Are you using a Mac or a PC?  It is my understanding that Macs or at least some Macs create a trash can on the Nook and you have to delete the books from the trash can also.

3.  If they are books purchased from other sources than B&N and require the use of ADE, then they will be in the ADE folder, that's where ADE stores them.  If you're on an Nook Simple Touch, you can't tell the difference when looking for books on the Nook.

Contributor
bomor
0 Kudos

I have the Simple touch and I'm not using an SD card.

I'm deleting public library books transferred to my Nook from ADE. What puzzles me is that I delete the book from the ADE folder, including the png file for the book cover, and they still show up. I wonder if there are folders on the Nook that just don't show, even though I'm using "show hidden files and folders."

Thanks for your help.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Is there anything in the "Digital Editions" folder?

Contributor
bomor
0 Kudos

Empty. I've gone through every folder on my Nook with Windows Explorer and can't find any books, but yet they still show up.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

If it's anything like the N1E, you may need to check for new content (or whatever they call it on N2E) to get it to refresh the library screen.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

bomor wrote:

Empty. I've gone through every folder on my Nook with Windows Explorer and can't find any books, but yet they still show up.

Try emptying the trash/waste basket with your NOOK connected to your compute.

Contributor
bomor
0 Kudos

Well, the mystery has been solved. I should have been more specific in my question about which books I couldn't delete. It is books downloaded directly to my Nook from Barnes & Noble (B&N). I have no trouble deleting books I've downloaded from my public library, or other such source, which come to my Nook via a USB hookup to my PC.

Books, magazines, etc., coming directly to my Nook from B&N must first be deleted from my B&N account, via my PC, and then, when I connect to B&N via my Nook, the deleted books will be removed from my Nook.

I pressed the B&N Nook technical support person as to where these books are stored on the Nook, given that they can't be accessed via Windows Explorer, but he wouldn't answer that question.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

bomor wrote:

Well, the mystery has been solved. I should have been more specific in my question about which books I couldn't delete. It is books downloaded directly to my Nook from Barnes & Noble (B&N). I have no trouble deleting books I've downloaded from my public library, or other such source, which come to my Nook via a USB hookup to my PC.

Books, magazines, etc., coming directly to my Nook from B&N must first be deleted from my B&N account, via my PC, and then, when I connect to B&N via my Nook, the deleted books will be removed from my Nook.

I pressed the B&N Nook technical support person as to where these books are stored on the Nook, given that they can't be accessed via Windows Explorer, but he wouldn't answer that question.

On the simple touch they are on the hidden B&N partition and therefore are in accessible. In order to have access to this partition you have to root it. That is why you can only delete from the website or from 
the Barnes and Noble ebooks folder on your computer if you use Nook for PC.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

bomor wrote:

This has been the case, even going back to the N1E. Though in that case, you could see your downloaded content and delete it from the device. However, the minute you hooked up via wi-fi or 3G and new content was checked for, if it hadn't been deleted from your account, the device would re-sync with the account and the content would be back on your device.

So really, nothing has changed except the visibility of the partition. The step(s) you need to delete a book are the same. 1) Delete it from your online B&N Library; 2) Sync the device.

If you're worried about running out of room, just archive the item.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 249 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: