Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
AvidFangReader
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-11-2011
0 Kudos

Nook Replacements

I am currently waiting for my fourth Nook in 10 months.  I am sick of having to call customer service and especially because I can hardly understand what they are saying because they all have a heavy foreign accent.  My replacements have been due to:

1st Nook- Known software issues (would not turn on)

2nd Nook- Known software issues (frozen on the sleep screen) and a cracked page forward button(also a known issue)

3rd Nook- Cracked page forward buttons(both) Known issue

 And here's the kicker, I just found out the the 2nd, 3rd and the one I am waiting on right now have all been PRE-OWNED!!! They fix the unit and slap a new cover/frame on it and send it out to the next person who had to return one with a problem.  Hmmmm...does this seem unethical to anyone else?  So basically I have been getting replacements that have been someone else's problem with a band-aid on it and still with the KNOWN issues.  I am very frustrated with this because I feel that if they are having known issues with an item, then active measures need to be done to fix the issue, NOT continuing to send out replacements that are pre-owned and are going to still have unresolved issues.  I am normally a very easy going person, but this $249 (in February 2010 when my husband bought it for me) has turned out to be a complete nightmare.  I have spent more time returning them and waiting for them to come in the mail then I have actually being able to use it.  If they would refund my money, I would take it and walk away from the Nook.   What are your thoughts on this?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

This has been discussed to death.

 

Its not unethical, its specified up front, and your warranty is still intact on the replacement units.

 

This is pretty standard in the electronics industry.  Even Apple dishes out refurbs.

 

After cracking two page forward buttons, why don't you use the swipe method?

 

(Here is where someone is sure to jump in and say the buttons shouldn't crack - but the fact that they do can't be disputed.    Lets not start that argument.  Nothing lasts forever. Mechanical things wear out.  Digital things seldom do).

 

 

 

Contributor
AvidFangReader
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

I only use the page forward buttons when I have to. I use the swipe function when reading, so the buttons really are rarely used which is why I am so frustrated with it.  I don't expect this item to last forever, but longer than a couple months at a time is pretty reasonable.  I think that if they know they are having problems with it, then they should offer a replacement (NEW or an Upgrade?) that doesn't have the same known issues as the one being returned.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
Posts: 993
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

I cracked FOUR, count em, 4 forward buttons.

 

BN replaced each and every one, they were well aware of the product flaw.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009

Re: Nook Replacements

 


Jenniisme wrote:

I cracked FOUR, count em, 4 forward buttons.

 

BN replaced each and every one, they were well aware of the product flaw.


 

They did change out the bezel with one that suposidly does not crack as often.

 

 

After four, I would suspect they would have you an a "No Refurb" list.

 

But then after One, I joined the No Buttons list.  As soon as your warranty runs out, I predict you will join us.  Come on in, the waters fine!

Contributor
AvidFangReader
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

You know what? I think  I am going to join the "No Buttons" club! What a great idea! I am going to sell the replacement that is on it's way to me on eBay and use that money toward a NookColor! Problem solved!  THANKS!!

Correspondent
toy4x4
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎06-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

Learn to swipe.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
Posts: 1,999
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

I've had my NOOK for 50 weeks.

 

Swiped for the first month and then decided I liked pressing buttons better, so I've been an exclusive button pusher for 11 months.

 

Never experienced a crack.

 

I suspect that there was a batch of bad bezels, but not all original NOOKs shipped had the bad ones.

 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
Posts: 1,064
Registered: ‎04-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements


AvidFangReader wrote:

I am currently waiting for my fourth Nook in 10 months.  I am sick of having to call customer service and especially because I can hardly understand what they are saying because they all have a heavy foreign accent.  My replacements have been due to:

1st Nook- Known software issues (would not turn on)

2nd Nook- Known software issues (frozen on the sleep screen) and a cracked page forward button(also a known issue)

3rd Nook- Cracked page forward buttons(both) Known issue

 And here's the kicker, I just found out the the 2nd, 3rd and the one I am waiting on right now have all been PRE-OWNED!!! They fix the unit and slap a new cover/frame on it and send it out to the next person who had to return one with a problem.  Hmmmm...does this seem unethical to anyone else?  So basically I have been getting replacements that have been someone else's problem with a band-aid on it and still with the KNOWN issues.  I am very frustrated with this because I feel that if they are having known issues with an item, then active measures need to be done to fix the issue, NOT continuing to send out replacements that are pre-owned and are going to still have unresolved issues.  I am normally a very easy going person, but this $249 (in February 2010 when my husband bought it for me) has turned out to be a complete nightmare.  I have spent more time returning them and waiting for them to come in the mail then I have actually being able to use it.  If they would refund my money, I would take it and walk away from the Nook.   What are your thoughts on this?


That is absolutely, perfectly normal.   The nook you send back is a 'pre-owned' nook.   That's what you get in return.  

 

That avoids the issue of you having to send them your nook, them having to schedule it being worked on, and then them sending it back to you.   ALL companies do this.   They collect the returns from customers, "batch" them up and send them back to the manufacturer in China who then re-works them and returns them as 'refurbished'.   They fully test them before they return them to B&N.   It's those fully tested, refurbished nooks that B&N can send out to you immediately.

 

 

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
Posts: 1,164
Registered: ‎01-01-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

AvidFangReader, I do hope you will get a NOOKcolor. :smileyhappy:

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
Posts: 993
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements


icebike wrote:

 


Jenniisme wrote:

I cracked FOUR, count em, 4 forward buttons.

 

BN replaced each and every one, they were well aware of the product flaw.


 

They did change out the bezel with one that suposidly does not crack as often.

 

 

After four, I would suspect they would have you an a "No Refurb" list.

 

But then after One, I joined the No Buttons list.  As soon as your warranty runs out, I predict you will join us.  Come on in, the waters fine!


Nope! the 4th one was a winner! Mind you, warranty expired 4 days ago.

 

I admit to buying the nookcolor and I use that more than the classic.

Contributor
unhappy1234
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎01-01-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements GET A KINDLE

Get a Kindle you will be much happier.  When my Nook malfunctioned 9 days after the 1 year warranty period and B & N refused to replace it I bought a Kindle.  It is sooooo much better than my Nook was.  Easier to navigate, easier to read, etc.

Correspondent
ladymis
Posts: 76
Registered: ‎08-24-2010

Re: Nook Replacements GET A KINDLE

@unhappy1234:

 

You have posted this all over these boards.  And, I think this issue has been discussed to death, but to re-iterate:

 

Your Nook was out of warranty.  It doesn't matter if it was 9 hours, B&N was under no obligation to replace your Nook at that point.  Would it have been nice of them if they did?  Sure, but it doesn't change the fact that the warranty is very clear, and you were outside of the warranty period.

 

I'm sorry your Nook broke, but things break.

 

Hope you enjoy your Kindle.

Contributor
AvidFangReader
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements GET A KINDLE

My son has a kindle and I am not that impressed with it.   Even with the problems I am having with Nook, I still want to stick with it. Call me a sucker....:smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
Posts: 469
Registered: ‎12-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

 


AvidFangReader wrote: I have spent more time returning them and waiting for them to come in the mail then I have actually being able to use it. What are your thoughts on this?

 

I think you are an over-exaggerating drama queen.  If you owned it for ten months, why are you waiting two or three months each time before calling to get it fixed?

 

The door is to the left.

 

 

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Contributor
AvidFangReader
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-11-2011

Re: Nook Replacements

Wow Theriot Publishing!   Maybe it takes one to know one..... :smileywink:

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

 


JacekVT wrote:

YEAH!

 

Why did you use those buttons for in the first place?!

 

They're not there to be USED, they're there to be LOOKED AT!

 

And if your screen freezes, it's FAULT!

 

YOU're the one who bought it, so DEAL with it!

 

Were here to make money from suckers like YOU!

 

......what the hell is WRONG with you PEOPLE???????!!!!!!!!!

 

ARE you all mentally chalanged?

 

It's supposed to be working straight out-of-the-box! And if has KNOWN faults, then Barnes & Noble better do a recall on the damn things, so that I can ENJOY my books, and not have to deal with stupid-ass decisions, made by some idiots in suits, who don't give a rats-ass about anything except the SHARE-HOLDER STATUS QUO!

 

WHAT A BUNCH OF RETARDS!


 

Wow, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed.

 

Name one brand of electronics that doesn't have ANY trouble and every single one works "straight out-of-the-box."

Wordsmith
shilohMD
Posts: 371
Registered: ‎12-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

 


JacekVT wrote:

YEAH!

 

Why did you use those buttons for in the first place?!

 

They're not there to be USED, they're there to be LOOKED AT!

 

And if your screen freezes, it's FAULT!

 

YOU're the one who bought it, so DEAL with it!

 

Were here to make money from suckers like YOU!

 

......what the hell is WRONG with you PEOPLE???????!!!!!!!!!

 

ARE you all mentally chalanged?

 

It's supposed to be working straight out-of-the-box! And if has KNOWN faults, then Barnes & Noble better do a recall on the damn things, so that I can ENJOY my books, and not have to deal with stupid-ass decisions, made by some idiots in suits, who don't give a rats-ass about anything except the SHARE-HOLDER STATUS QUO!

 

WHAT A BUNCH OF RETARDS!


not only a TROLL...but an especially rude and ignorant one...a rare species...one to be eliminated...please don't feed him...he will go away

 

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Reader 4
DemjiDJ
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-15-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

I purchased my Nook in mid-March of 2010--with the extended warranty.  After almost 10 months of happy use, two issues developed with it:  the infamous crack on the page turn button--which was odd because it was on a button I almost never use, as opposed to the one I use constantly--and also a small "blot" of e-ink at the very bottom of the screen.  Quite honestly, neither flaw worries or bothers me that much.

 

I took it in to my local B&N this morning mostly just from curiosity, to see what they'd say or do about it.  I'd heard of some people getting their Nooks replaced immediately with new units...and other folks who were practically sneered at.  The customer rep. I talked with was very gracious and polite, but told me she could only give me the 800 number to call--and they would tell me what to do about "...getting a new (certainly refurbished) Nook."

Thinking about it on the way home, I really wish B&N would offer people a choice: 1) pay no money & get you Nook replaced with a refurbished unit (under manufacturer’s or extended warranty)  or  2) get your Nook replaced with a new-in-the-package unit, with the purchase of a  $70.00 extended warranty (or another one, if you already have the extended warranty).  I'm sure people could think of a dozen ways to cry "unfair" about this proposal too--but at least it would give customers a bit more of a choice over how their Nook issues are handled.

Had I been offered option #2 today--I would have taken it happily.  I'd have a brand new unit with an extended 2-year warranty against even accidental damage...and since between the two $70 extended warranties B&N would have $140 in their pocket--almost 3/4ths the value of a $200 new unit--I suspect it wouldn't play too badly for them either. 

As for Nook issues... ... I admit I'm leery of getting a Nook that I love possibly replaced with a refurbished one that has other issues (as has seemingly happened to many people), so I'm holding off on doing anything.  I still have 2 months of manufacturer's warranty left--and a whole year of extended warranty--so I'm going to just wait and see how my Nook continues to hold up. 

Reader 4
DemjiDJ
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-15-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Replacements

Correction:  at $140.00 (between 2 extended warranties), B & N would be $9 short of the new standard Nook cost of $149.00. (For some reason, I was thinking the black / white Nooks were $200.

 

The more I think about this--the more I wish B & N would offer this as an option to customers.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
322
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 1,122 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: