Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
ShyK
0 Kudos

Nook Screen Frozen While Reading / Not Charging / Cannot Reboot

Hello

My Nook Classic Wifi has frozen on the last page read - possibly while it was trying to snooze as I paused reading to do some task at hand.  I had not pressed the power button to snooze/hibernate - it seems to have just frozen on the last screen as it did a self timed hibernation

1. I tried pressing power button for 20 seconds & release - did not work.
  2. I tried pressing the power button for 40 seconds, release and another 5 seconds & release - did not work.
  3. I removed the battery,  waited for an hour,  tried pressing the power button to cause reboot/shutdown - did not work
  4. With the battery removed,  I connected the Nook to Wall charger and let it charge for 30 minutes and tried pressing the power button to reboot - Did not work either
  5. Plugged the battery back in,  connected the nook to a Wall charger and let it charge for 2 hours,  then pressed the power button for 40 seconds (and 40 + 4)  - did not work either.

Basically tried all kinds of suggestions that I have seen on this forum - none of which worked.

What is interesting is

- I bought a nook in Oct 2010, and it froze sometime early in November - when I had let the battery run too low.  It took me 2-3 calls to B&N and sometime late November, I got a replacement battery

-  The nook with replacement battery again froze over late December/early Jan.   This time after calling B&N  and I was given a replacement nook. 

That was working fine until it again had the frozen screen syndrome last week. The battery this time was definitely more than half full - since I can see the charge indicator on the frozen screen.

The only difference is

-  The previous two freeze instances,  I was reading in Airoplane mode - with Wifi Off

-  This time, I was reading with the Wifi On,  but in a zone where the wifi signal fades in & out.

Thoughts on how I can get this working?

Correspondent
padr49904
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Screen Frozen While Reading / Not Charging / Cannot Reboot

Call them, you seem to just be having bad luck on nooks.  Did you buy a new one or refurbushed, because the refurbushed ones seem to have a lot of problems.

New User
nookito
0 Kudos

Hi i'm having the same issues like the other guy, my nook is frozen in screensaver and do not respond in any way. I've purchased my new nook from spain using ebay because B&N don't offer send the product to spain... How could I repair my nook?. I've read a man who wait a week and the nook reset by itself, I'm very frighten about the frozen I think that micro sd card wasn't fully fixed to the nook and become detached, since that my nook frozen.

Please, how could we repair the issue?.

Thanks in advance.

Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

My nook just started this, my question is:   the battery has been out for hours now and no AC power (no USB hooked up) but the e ink screen has the usual info on it (my library, battery icon, clock) where is the power coming from for this ? 

N1E - HD+ soon ?
New User
ajtbear
0 Kudos

Mine is doing the same thing and I have been searching for a reason and a solution. Mine is stuck on the starting up page like rfruth. I just bought mine from a friend who never used it. She says the warranty is still in service so I can only hope. Tomorrow I am taking a trip to B&N. This will get fixed or they can at least tell me how to do it.

Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

*update* 24 hours with no power & screen still had the usual info on it (my library, battery icon, clock ((clock was'nt updating)) so plugged nook into USB port on computer and charging light came on my nook was responding -  Then put batttery back in, got brave & put hold down screw in battery, let it charge for 45 min or so even though it didn't need it then cycle power, unregister it, set factory defaults, reregister but now is okay !  I was starting to dream of a nook color :smileyhappy:

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

The reason the NOOK screen was still displaying your screensaver/wallpaper etc... is that it takes no charge to display an e-ink image, only to change it.  So, if NOOK gets frozen and the battery dies, it will continue to display the last image shown.

Reader
ShyK
0 Kudos

@padr49904b

I bought a new nook.  So the first two times, the problem was with the new nook.   Then B&N sent a replacement.  I would think that the replacement would be a refurbished one rather than a new one.  The packaging was different.

The problem with B&N is that depending on the day/time you call - the call may require a long waiting time.  And I have rarely if ever recieved a response to the email support

@rfruth

Congrats that you finally got it restarted. I will wait for a couple of days and see if that makes a difference

As Ya_ya points out though - the screen refresh happens only when power is consumed and right now my nook is still showing the last page read

Contributor
LiaCarmella
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Once again this would be the troubleshooting steps for an unresponsive nook.

- Remove the battery

- Hold down the power button for 1minute. This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

- Put the battery back after 15minutes

At this point, fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process, the charging LED will illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

- Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status.

- Hope this helps. 

- Jack

Reader
ShyK
0 Kudos

@LiaCarmella

I had done variations of the above, but tried it again nevertheless.

After removal of battery + holding power button for 1 min or longer,  I did not see a shut down happen.  That is the screen did not go blank.  The screen is still stuck on the same "last page read".

Contributor
LiaCarmella
0 Kudos

ShyK wrote:

@LiaCarmella

I had done variations of the above, but tried it again nevertheless.

After removal of battery + holding power button for 1 min or longer,  I did not see a shut down happen.  That is the screen did not go blank.  The screen is still stuck on the same "last page read".

Im sorry to hear that. The next step that you have to do if your nook is to call CS and ask for a replacement battery. And if that wont solve the issue probably a replacement device. 

Reader
ShyK
0 Kudos

I found another nook with a fully charged battery - and tried to put that charged battery in the frozen nook.   Did not seem to work either.

So looks like I need to call & seek a replacement device.   A replacement for a repolacement... is too much.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 291 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: