Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Peter67
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch COMPLETELY Frozen

I'll reply with my story so it can help others in the same situation. Beforehand you should know that I live in Brazil, far from any B&N support, and wouldn't have proceeded the way I did if I had that option.

I've had a Nook Simple Touch for six months now, and everything worked about fine (before firmware 1.1 the screen would stop responding to touch every now and then and even after the update the eInk refresh would sometimes become really slow, but not a deal breaker). A couple of days ago I noticed that the battery indicator was showing only a question mark, and in the battery settings the OS would state "error" and read 100% charge all the time. Read about it online: seams it is a software problem with the device reading the battery charge. Rebooting didn't work for me and I wasn't going to remove the battery or anything. It was not bothering me, so I kept using it despite. Today, unfortunately, when I tried to use the NST the screen was completely frozen. Read about it here: it occurs frequently when the battery depletes completely. But when I connected the nook to power, the battery light was always green (I guess from the previous glitch in reading the battery charge).

Since I have no option to take the device to support, I removed the back cover (it wasn't easy and it's not suppose to be - cracking it open voids the warranty). After that I unplugged the battery. Connecting the nook directly to power did not work. But when I connected the battery again and then connected the N2e to the outlet, the power light was orange and soon after the nook stated it was too low to power on. Now it's charged and working just fine. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone doing what I did, I hope it helps someone.

Contributor
Davidrs
0 Kudos

Thanks for this message about not opening the back of the Nook Simple Touch.  The first edition Nook was so much easier in this respect.  I too have a frozen Nook, and the company is sending on a replacement.  Frustrating, because simply pulling and reinserting the battery would no doubt solve the problem, but I'm not going to try it.  The support person did not hesitate for a moment to arrange a replacement, which tells me that this happens all the time.  I also use Kindle (some e-books are only available on Kindle) and, while I think Nook is the better device, I have to admit that Kindle has not given me such problems.  B&N is in a life or death struggle with Amazon, and freezing up issues are not going to help them.

New User
Robert_DFW

My mom has had nothing but trouble with her Simple Touch since I bought it for her in February to replace her first edition Nook.  Unfortunately she slipped and feel and broke her original Nook which in our opinion was a much better product than the Simple Touch.  I've taken the ST into the store where I purchased it twich to have them fix the frozen screen.  The first time they charged it a bit and were able to reset it.  This time they couldn't so they called their support center.  This guy tells me that my 70 year old mother needs to hold down the power switch on the back while simultaneously holding down the bottom two page turner buttons on the front.  Hello - you might as well ask her to do this while standing on her head.  She doesn't have the dexterity to do that.  Even the store rep had trouble doing that.  They are sending her a replacement but frankly the customer service fulfillment stinks.  I'm standing in your store with the defective device and you have tons of Simple Touch Nooks sitting in boxes less than two feet from me.  Yet you make me go to a UPS store to send the defective Nook back to you while you ship me another from your warehouse.  Why do I have to ship it back?  Why can't we just exchange in the store and you can ship it to the warehouse.  You have this competitve advantage over Amazon with your brick and mortar stores and then you just completely blow it by using a mail order replacment hassle that Amazon would.  Now she's without a Nook for at least a week.  The reason I bought her a Nook is so that she could always get help in a store.  FAIL!  Are you listening B&N?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Robert_DFW wrote:

Yet you make me go to a UPS store to send the defective Nook back to you while you ship me another from your warehouse.  Why do I have to ship it back?  Why can't we just exchange in the store and you can ship it to the warehouse.  You have this competitve advantage over Amazon with your brick and mortar stores and then you just completely blow it by using a mail order replacment hassle that Amazon would.  Now she's without a Nook for at least a week.  The reason I bought her a Nook is so that she could always get help in a store.  FAIL!  Are you listening B&N?

I doubt that you'll receive any satisfaction from these forums.  They are geared for readers/users, and the moderators only check in once in awhile.  It's doubtful that the moderators have any power as well.

I'm surprised that they had you ship the unit back before they sent you the replacement.  The few people I know that have exchanged theirs have always received their replacement first, and then shipped the old unit back with the return address label.

I do agree that allowing for in-store exchange would be a good customer service move on B&N's part and a way to set themselves apart from Amazon.  I've always had great CS in-store, while the phone/email CS has been sketchy at best.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

Robert--please check your personal mail on this site. I may be able to help you.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Robert_DFW wrote:

My mom has had nothing but trouble with her Simple Touch since I bought it for her in February to replace her first edition Nook.  Unfortunately she slipped and feel and broke her original Nook which in our opinion was a much better product than the Simple Touch.  I've taken the ST into the store where I purchased it twich to have them fix the frozen screen.  The first time they charged it a bit and were able to reset it.  This time they couldn't so they called their support center.  This guy tells me that my 70 year old mother needs to hold down the power switch on the back while simultaneously holding down the bottom two page turner buttons on the front.  Hello - you might as well ask her to do this while standing on her head.  She doesn't have the dexterity to do that.  Even the store rep had trouble doing that.  They are sending her a replacement but frankly the customer service fulfillment stinks.  I'm standing in your store with the defective device and you have tons of Simple Touch Nooks sitting in boxes less than two feet from me.  Yet you make me go to a UPS store to send the defective Nook back to you while you ship me another from your warehouse.  Why do I have to ship it back?  Why can't we just exchange in the store and you can ship it to the warehouse.  You have this competitve advantage over Amazon with your brick and mortar stores and then you just completely blow it by using a mail order replacment hassle that Amazon would.  Now she's without a Nook for at least a week.  The reason I bought her a Nook is so that she could always get help in a store.  FAIL!  Are you listening B&N?

Make sure that she understands that you need to keep the screen and the inside edges clean of dust, hair and debris. these screens are not capacitive touch and instead use infared beams which can become blocked causing it to be non responsive.

Contributor
NookManager2011
0 Kudos

That's simply not true.  We can replace it in store...especially if you've only just purchased it.  I'm a store manager in NYC...I know this is absolutely untrue.  Go to the store and demand a replacement...they HAVE to do it for you.

Reader
SonalP
0 Kudos

You should do what we do in our country(India) with such rogue devices, especially something from China...My Nook STR stopped working in less than 48hrs, so I just gave it a few tight whacks on its backside, not many, maybe 4 or 5. Believe me, it started up immediately. Just the way my TV starts up !!!

This is not a sarcastic comment or joke. A few minutes ago I was worried about how I would get a refund on this faulty device, considering I stay in India, since a replacement would be a no-go.

Now I'm scared to ever turn it off. It will always be on standby and atleast 85% charge(It froze at 80%)

New User
reeder1210
0 Kudos

My husband bought me a nook last July and in Nov I had the same problem. First I would find that the battery was completely dead after only 1 or 2 nights of reading an hour or so. Mine did not have accessible battery. One day it was completely frozen if not plugged in. When I plugged in it would power off and back on immediately. I chatted with B&N service and they determined it needed to be replaced. They would send one in about a week. Since we bought at Best Buy, we returned it there with no problem, however now I have the same problem with the 2nd one. Took it to BestBuy and they were going to replace but B&N would only authorize rapid replace. I waited 2days & they sent me a certified per owned unit. We had even purchased additional warranty, but they say they only will replace while under original warranty.
Reader
oneagleswings_7
0 Kudos

In my experience, when the screen freezes on the Simple Touch, a lot of the time this happens is when it is sleeping. You'll go to use it, and it just won't turn on. Except in severe cases, the best solution I have found is actually to hold down the Power Button and Nook Button (on the front) simultaneously for about 20 seconds. It may not appear to do anything, unless you catch it right after it froze (in which case you can hold the Power Button to turn it back on). After this, go ahead and plug the Nook in to charge. After about 5 minutes, it should pop up that the battery is too low to power on. It should turn on in about 15 minutes after this. The reason for this seems to be, in my opinion, that when the screen freezes, it is constantly using power, and even plugging it in will not allow it to charge, as it is still discharging. When you hold the Nook Button and Power Button down together, this will do a soft reset and allow the Nook to actually take a charge. For those more severe cases, where this does not work, the abovementioned method of holding down the Power and both of the bottom page turn buttons will give you the option to do a factory reset. However, there does need to be enough power to boot up the Nook. Any issues that seem really off the wall and goofy (like your Nook has a mind of it's own) can oftentimes be fixed by doing a factory reset, or erasing and deregistering the device in your settings. I hope this helps! It's sad to see so many examples of poor customer service. If you do not get the answer you're looking for, I would try another store. There are lots of helpful people out there who know their stuff.
New User
ees_mrkt
0 Kudos

Thank you! This solution worked for me! The key step is to unplug and replug battery, then recharge.As you said, keeping battery detached will not start boot process.

New User
ees_mrkt
0 Kudos

Thank you! This solution worked for me! The key step is to unplug and replug battery, then recharge.As you said, keeping battery detached will not start boot process.
Reader
cmwinkley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is in reference to the person who explained the screen is not a touch screen, but infrared reads from the edge of the screen.  They said to clean along the edges thoroughly as dust collects there.  This is hilarious!  I had the same problem with locked screen  and nothing worked-ready to take a hammer since it is way out of warranty.  I wiped the edge of the screen and presto-works like a charm.  Thank you! 

K_C
Reader 4
K_C
0 Kudos

When I started reading this about cleaning the edge I thought that was dumb. After reading that it worked for this person I went ahead and tried it. I don't believe it. After 3 days without my Nook and calling B & N (didn't help) it is now working. THANKS!!!
Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Even a very small piece of fuzz can cause this lockup. It's only happened to me once and I didn't have think the tiny piece of fluff I saw would be the problem. But after removing it with tweezers (wiping the screen didn't remove it) my nook returned to normal operation. I have a cover for my nook which I suppose prevents this for the most part. I'd expect folks that don't use a cover would have more problems with this. I'd guess a fair number of returns are due to this as at least in my case a simple wipe of the screen wasn't sufficient to clean the sensors.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

K_C wrote:
When I started reading this about cleaning the edge I thought that was dumb. After reading that it worked for this person I went ahead and tried it. I don't believe it. After 3 days without my Nook and calling B & N (didn't help) it is now working. THANKS!!!

The sales people need to start explaining how this screen actually works and that it is important to keep it and the edges clean. This would eliminate 75% of the problems.

New User
mochina
0 Kudos

I assume that you are referring to the software release 1.2.1. I recently installed this release, and still have the freezing problem often.  I have been able to temporarily make the problem go away by charging the Simple Touch, but I know there is still something wrong.  The battery charge indicator is never below 80% when this happens.  Contacting Tech Support, I've even reset the Nook back to factory settings and completely re-charged, and still have the problem several times during the day. 

Has anyone had the freezing problem "resolved" by installing the 1.2.1 software release?  If yes, I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Mochina

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I haven't heard of 1.2.1 resolving screen freezing problems nor of an occasional freezing problem as you describe at all (at least unrelated to problems cause by debri around the edges of the screen, which I assume you've cleaned with no effect). It might be useful to take it to a store in its frozen state. They may be able to determine the problem or tell you if it needs replaced.
New User
another_glow_hole_victim
0 Kudos

Har har....clean the screen....give me a break....hard reset, soft reset, charged up to 100% to no avail. Slightly damp tissue and voila! Needs a little love? Tried wiping out the tear in the glow screen....sorry, the clean screen won't solve every issue!

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

another_glow_hole_victim wrote:

Har har....clean the screen....give me a break....hard reset, soft reset, charged up to 100% to no avail. Slightly damp tissue and voila! Needs a little love? Tried wiping out the tear in the glow screen....sorry, the clean screen won't solve every issue!

So, did you have a problem that you would like addressed?

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 221 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: