Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Chanin-B
0 Kudos

Nook Stuck in Startup

I have tried pretty much everything. I have taken the battery out, plugged into wall charger, put battery back in. Held down the power button for extended amount of time. Still stuck on that screen. A few times it has gone to a blank screen but then right back to start up screen that gets stuck. I have had this since March with no issues at all. Think I should go spend $30 on a new battery (really don't think that is the issue but I am desperate lol). Anyone know any other tricks I can try?

B&N Bookseller
miffy1157
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Stuck in Startup

startup could take up to 30 mins. try taking the battery out and plugging it in the wall and letting it start up plugged in. have you updated (june) to 1.4?

- Caitlin
Reader
Chanin-B
0 Kudos

Yep has the update. I will take the battery out again and plug back into wall. Give it an hour just to be safe. 

Reader
Chanin-B
0 Kudos

Didn't work. Guess I will have to be shipping it in. Got warranty thru Square Trade so gonna have to ship it off and wait. 

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

If you got the nook in March it is still under the Barnes & Noble warranty.  I would give Customer Service a call and discuss with them getting your nook replaced.  They can do a "quick replacement" using your credit card as collateral and you could have a new nook in about 3 days.  Probably a lot faster than going through Square Trade . . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

“Your device is starting up” screen. Keep in mind that when NOOK re-starts for the first time immediately after installing the software V 1.4 update, the start-up process may take longer than usual and some devices may stay on this “start-up” screen for a period of 10-15 minutes. This is a normal part of installing the V 1.4 update.

If the device is stuck on the start-up screen for longer than five minutes (15 minutes following the initial installation of software update V 1.4), follow the procedures outlined below:

1)      Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery.  To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed.  A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2)      Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3)      Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4)      Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds.  This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5)      After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

New User
waykoolmom
0 Kudos

My nook is doing the same thing....it has been stuck on the same frame for two days now ("Nook is starting up") it displayed this message when I was finished reading and turning it off....i had a fully charged battery and i have tried everything possible the fix the problem with no luck. Did you find a solution?

New User
lesliemcg
0 Kudos

What if taking out the battery for 30 mins and restarting the NOOK doesn't work? 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@waykoolmom,

Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.

Initial conditions:  Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure. 

Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.

1)      Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery.  To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed.  A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2)      Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3)      Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4)      Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds.  This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5)      After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

Contributor
NookerBC
0 Kudos

I also had this problem. After trying everything the administer suggested on the forums, I gave in and called customer service. At first I was a little annoyed that it took 15-20  minutes to talk to anyone but after I got through, everything went smoothly. In fact, it was one of the fasted, easiest tech support calls I've had in a long time.

Since it was clear I already tried everything possible on my end - taking the battery out for 15-30 minutes, and waiting for a full charge before attempting to restart the nook - they were quick to suggest I might need a replacement battery, which the warranty covers for 1 year. Since they keep the date you register your nook's serial number on hand, it was a painless process and I'm expecting a new battery in the mail in about a week. I'll miss nooking it up for the next week, but if it works, I don't care, and I'm glad that to know that it doesn't, I don't have to go wading into the mess that is my collection of electronic manuals, installation disks, and warranties to find the right one. They will tell you how long you have on your warranty too, which is good in case you are close to the end of the warranty's year and want to go double check asap at a local store.

I DO recommend trying those suggestions on some of these posts case it works for your nook. It'll save your time as well as the tech support's person and might even result in success for you.

New User
patriot123
0 Kudos

I had the exact same problem. I let my nook battery sit out for an hour put it back in and started to charge it and it worked like a charm. two minuites later it was at the home page. try that.

New User
patriot123
0 Kudos

you mint want to leave it charge till the battery is fully charged

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 386 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: