Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jagilki
0 Kudos

Nook Stuck in USB Drive Mode?

I may... scratch that, I did overcharge my Nook.  I got called away while transfering some new walpapers to my nook and forgot about it for the night.  Now my Nook is stuck on the "USB Drive Mode" screen and will not get off of it.  I've done everything I've seen online so far, but since my Nook was bought as a Christmas Present from Best Buy, am I screwed?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Stuck in USB Drive Mode?

[ Edited ]

You can't overcharge it.  When we still had an Admin, he was very insistent on this point.  If you leave it plugged in, it will stop charging when it's fully charged.

It sounds like your NOOK is frozen.

In general you never want to just unplug it from the computer without ejecting, so go to your PC and right click on it to eject it.  Then:  

1. Can you turn it off by holding the power button for 20 seconds?  
  2. Have you removed and replaced the battery?

Try both things to see if you can get it to respond.  Someone else may have other suggestions, but if not 1-800-THE-BOOK  Option 2.  Customer Service may be able to help you get it to respond, and if not they'll ship you out a replacement.  You're definitely not SOL.

Wordsmith
shilohMD

I don't believe you can overcharge the Nook...relax.

If you have a Windows PC, open up the Windows Explorer (file viewer, NOT Internet Explorer), finf the nook as a drive under "My Computer", right-click on the Nook and select "Eject"

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Contributor
jagilki
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry, forgot to mention, sometime during the night my computer restarted.  In the morning, even though the Nook was still plugged in the computer wasn't recognizing that it was hooked up, so I couldn't unmount it.

-Edit- Should aslo mention I've done all the stuff with the taking out the battery, holding power down etc. etc. etc.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

It won't FUBAR it completely if you just unplug it.  It can corrupt anything you were in the middle of transferring, so you might have to remove all your sideloaded docs and replace, but it won't kill it.

Contributor
jagilki

[ Edited ]

OK, let me say sorry a second time.  I just missed one part of the process.

and I feel stupid.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet. Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

In other words, I jumped the gun on making this thread and should of just waited another 10 mins or so.

-edit-

Thanks for the help though.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

No apologies necessary.  :smileywink:  We're just glad it's working for you.  :smileyvery-happy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 261 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: