Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
scottfortney
0 Kudos

Nook Support for MicroSD is awful!

I have been trying to use a know good MicoSD card for the last 2 days.  Wow what a bad design and what a terrible way to add memory.  I did find the web site that shows you how to lock the MicroSD card in place but even after rebooting, turning the power completely off the card is still not recognized!

I can place in a MicroSD to USB converter and see the card just fine but the Nook will not use it!

Any ideas?  It is a 4 GB generic card that I used to use in a Sprint smart phone.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Support for MicroSD is awful!

Did you format the card in your computer, or your phone?

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

I feel your pain!  I spent time with Nook Support this afternoon, too.  We simply did not speak the same language.  :smileysad: I'm going to keep reading these boards and rephrasing my questions.  I have great faith that someone here will finally help me find the answers I need.

Good luck to you, too!

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear you're having troubles. My card installed within minutes and I have had not problems. After reading through the boards here, I realize I could have had it much, much worse.

You mention you previously used this card in your smartphone. I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect that may be the root of your problem. The phone may have done things to format the card for its use.

You may need to hook the card to your computer using a reader and entirely wipe and reformat the card before you try to install it in your NOOK.

Alternatively, to avoid the hassle, and with cards being so cheap, just buy a brand new one, which should give you no trouble. (Unless this turns out to be a NOOK problem and not a problem with the card.) I got mine for around $10 at Staples.

You also mention that is a "generic" card. If by this you mean a cheap, off-brand manufacturer, you may want to spend the few extra pennies on something a little less generic. Some people have reported problems with this.

Lastly, 16GB (I believe) is the maximum card capacity the NOOK will read. If you are trying to use a larger capacity card it may not be reading it for that reason.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

SD card: observations and new questions

I'm a relative NOOK newbie (so be kind :smileyindifferent:) and I've got to admit this SD stuff is confusing! And yes, I've read the manual on files, SD cards and extra storage.  And yes, I've searched these boards and asked a few questions.  And yes, I've Googled for and read additional info elsewhere on the web.

For the benefit of the "experienced" NOOK owner who has mastered this SD thing, I would like to share some hard-earned newbie experience (or as the case may be, inexperience).

A.  The Users' Manual talks of "creating subfolders" in internal memory and on SD storage media.  After reading the entire section on files and storage several times, I have come to realize that this vague, sweeping reference is probably meant to speak specifically about the creation of subfolders for collections of screensaver images.  Heaven help me if after all that rereading, I still haven't gotten that right! :smileytongue:

B.  When I entered this board tonight, the most recent post was also about SD cards.  The newest response was a question to the OP asking if the OP had formatted the SD card before inserting it.  About formatting the manual says only that the SD card should be FAT 32 or FAT 16.  Do any current brand name card need to be formatted before use?  (According to the Sandisk website, my 4GB card is preformatted FAT 32.):smileysurprised:

C. After inserting my SD without problem this afternoon, I turned on my NOOK and connected it to my computer.  A new NOOK drive was recognized, but I did not have a new drive for the inserted SD card as is described on several sites which give info about using an SD card in NOOK.  In "Settings" I was informed that an SD card was "Not Installed."
      I rewatched an excellent UTube video, talked with Tech Support several times, and did several reinstalls with various permutations and combinations.  I finally gave up and headed to my local B&N.  On the way I stopped to exchange the SD for a new, unopened card, to rule out the possibility of a faulty card.

At the store, B&N staff told me that it would do no good to insert the new card there because it had no content on it.  Content had to be loaded onto the SD before inserting it into NOOK for the card to be recognized(?).  This seems to contradict all the sites which say that a NOOK with inserted SD card when connected to a computer will be recognized as two separate dives in "My Computer." This preloading of content is also not mentioned anywhere else that I can find, although, in fairness, I also do not see anywhere that says specifically that you add files to the SD AFTER it is inserted.:smileysad:

OK, I hope all you "experienced" folks don't think I'm too technostupid.  Or at least I hope you'll take pity on me and keep reading because all this new info has, I'm afraid, left me with more questions than answers.  Here goes . . .

1. Do I need to load content onto the SD before inserting it for it to be recognized?

2.  Once the card is recognized in NOOK's "Settings," will it show up as a separate drive when NOOK is connected to my computer?

3. If #2 above is not a true reflection of how this SD thing works, will I be able to side load content (other than B&N) directly to the SD while the SD is inserted in NOOK? 

4.  Do I need to configure folders on the SD (replicas of those in NOOK internal memory) before saving files to the SD?

5.  Is a subfolder system for a "My Documents" folder on SD possible?  [I figure the answer to this is NO, but I'm still hopeful!]

6.  Are there any other Technostupid questions I should be asking before attempting an SD card again?  :smileyvery-happy:  Think really hard.  What are the things all you "experienced" folks take for granted that everyone surely knows?

FYI--I plan to load PDF map details and MP3 audio tours onto the SD for an upcoming trip to Europe.  I neither own nor want a smart phone or other such device.  If I can work out my NOOK SD woes, I don't think I'll need one!

Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Re: SD card: observations and new questions

>>>>>> Replies in-line in bold

whiteginger wrote:

1. Do I need to load content onto the SD before inserting it for it to be recognized?

Absolutely not.  You should have asked them to show you that in the manual.  They would have been embarrassed. 

2.  Once the card is recognized in NOOK's "Settings," will it show up as a separate drive when NOOK is connected to my computer?

Yes.  Assuming you have it installed properly and the card is fully functional with the nook

3. If #2 above is not a true reflection of how this SD thing works, will I be able to side load content (other than B&N) directly to the SD while the SD is inserted in NOOK? 

You can sideload with it installed in the nook.  You can load ebooks onto it without installing it in the nook by installing it in a carrier, and inserting the carrier in your computer.  This is also a good way to find for sure if your card is properly formatted, because when mounted directly on your computer it will warn you of an improperly formated card.

4.  Do I need to configure folders on the SD (replicas of those in NOOK internal memory) before saving files to the SD?

No.  Your entire SD card may be structured any way you want, with or with out folders.  Nook scans the card and finds files where ever they are.  You can use the Teen-age son method (everything in one heap) or the Obsessive Compulsive Librarian method (directories for each type of content, music, ebooks, or Authors, or genera or what ever.  Calibre ebook management software prefers to create folders based on each Author.  Nook will ignore all folders in the current version  and present your books in one list (sorted by title or author), and all of your music will appear in the music player

5.  Is a subfolder system for a "My Documents" folder on SD possible?  [I figure the answer to this is NO, but I'm still hopeful!]

All content on the SD card appears only in My documents or in the music player.   Any thing on the MicroSD card will appear along with those ebooks in the my documents folder on the internal storage.  Ditto for music.  Again, it matters not a wit if you create folders or not.

6.  Are there any other Technostupid questions I should be asking before attempting an SD card again?  :smileyvery-happy:  Think really hard.  What are the things all you "experienced" folks take for granted that everyone surely knows?

Make sure you understand how the microsd socket works.  You Swing it closed and then slide it locked.  

You don't need a super fast SD card.  Class 4 is plenty.  8 gig cards are probably all you need.  Don't overbuy because its too aggravating trying to wade thru more than a few pages of files in the index.  Remember the index on the nook totally ignores subdirectory structure and presents all ebooks as one big list. 

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

B.  When I entered this board tonight, the most recent post was also about SD cards.  The newest response was a question to the OP asking if the OP had formatted the SD card before inserting it.  About formatting the manual says only that the SD card should be FAT 32 or FAT 16.  Do any current brand name card need to be formatted before use?  (According to the Sandisk website, my 4GB card is preformatted FAT 32.):smileysurprised:

I was more concerned that the OP in that post had formatted the card in his/her cell phone (even then, it still may be OK, but if they had, I would have them format it in their computer just in case).  I would venture to guess that if your card is right out of the box you are fine, that way.

The biggest thing for me has been to make sure that the card is locked in all the way.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

A special BIG thanks to Icebike  :smileyhappy:for your time and specific answers!  

And about my comments on formatting, I really apologize if my statements seemed critical in any way. :smileysad: I know the discussion from the other thread I mentioned was about a specific situation, different from my own.  

Thanks again to all of you who read these posts and offer help and support!

Frequent Contributor
Bamrz
0 Kudos

Icebike did a great job of answering your questions, but I wanted to clear up one little item. You absolutely do need folders for screensavers.

Simply create a folder called "Screensavers" on your SD card. Inside this folder, create sub-folders for each set of screensavers. Ex: I have separate sets called "Friends", "Family", "Johnny Depp", etc. Give the sets a descriptive enough name to know what they are when you choose them from your nook.

Sue

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - what a ride!!!
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bamrz wrote:

Icebike did a great job of answering your questions, but I wanted to clear up one little item. You absolutely do need folders for screensavers.

Simply create a folder called "Screensavers" on your SD card. Inside this folder, create sub-folders for each set of screensavers. Ex: I have separate sets called "Friends", "Family", "Johnny Depp", etc. Give the sets a descriptive enough name to know what they are when you choose them from your nook.

Sue

Very good advice Bamrz...

Also,screen savers and wall paper is so small there is no real reason to put this on the MicroSD, and I would recommend you just use the existing structures on the nook main menory for this.

Also you can create subdirectories in the nook's main memory my documents folder if you want.

I think the biggest problem with the MicroSD cards is that people do not read the directions about how the socket works (to be fair, this wasn't always covered well in the users guide). 

Its almost, but not quite, thoroughly unlike your cell phone's slot. 

Some people force their cards into the slot without unlocking and swinging it open, thereby damaging the slots or the cards by crushing the little plastic groves and ridges to the point where the card does not make good contact.    Careful work with a fine tipped tool can usually salvage these cards unless you wreck the metal contacts.  Most of the time its just the plastic that gets deformed. 

Great close up images here:   http://nookboards.com/2009/12/15/inserting-extra-storage-in-your-nook-via-micro-sd/

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Re: SD card: Not recognized

My NOOK simply refuses to read an SDHC.  I have tried two different, new cards. Both were SanDisk 4GB SDHC Class 2 (or maybe Class 6--I really need to get a magnifying glass :smileyvery-happy:).

The card, inserted into an adapter and then into an SD card reader, is recognized by my computer which verifies that the card is FAT 32.

Being "one of those" people who read the directions, watch the video tutorials, search the discussion boards, seek out advice. . . and then read the directions again, I'm pretty sure(?) I inserted the card correctly.  The card fit perfectly into its space and I applied no pressure that might damage the contacts.  I flipped the cover down and heard the nice little "click" as I slid the SD cover down to lock it.

Since I am "one of those" people, I expect things to work the first time I do them.  This SD card trauma, however, has taken me down a peg and very possibly saved me from that particular level of Hades reserved for "those" with my particular hubris :smileyvery-happy:

Having already been saved from that fate, I now desperately need assistance figuring out this blasted SD card thing!

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Please don't take offense - but did you completely power down the nook when inserting the card ?  I know that with my nook (and also my wife's) I had to power down then power up in order for the nook to recognize the card.  From your post it certainly sounds like you have inserted the card correctly and SanDisk is obviously a well known quality brand.  Wish I could offer some ideas but I can't think of anything right now.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

No offence taken:  I'm absolutely humbled at this point :smileysad:

Is there a difference in powering down and "completely" powering down? (Really, I'm serious.)  I depress the power button for about 5 seconds and the screen goes white before I release the button. Then it stays completely white.  When I turn the NOOK back on, it goes through the "starting up" process.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it is necessary to depress the power button for about 10 seconds or longer to turn NOOK off.  I'm quite sure that I've never held it down for that long.  When the screen goes white, I assume it's "completely" off.  Or is this just some sort of intermediate state beyond sleep?  Like coma, perhaps?  But not "completely" off?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

White screen is off.  Down. Completely powered down.

We tend to state this explicitly on these boards because some people just tap the switch and put it to sleep when power down is called for.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

No offence taken:  I'm absolutely humbled at this point :smileysad:

Is there a difference in powering down and "completely" powering down? (Really, I'm serious.)  I depress the power button for about 5 seconds and the screen goes white before I release the button. Then it stays completely white.  When I turn the NOOK back on, it goes through the "starting up" process.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it is necessary to depress the power button for about 10 seconds or longer to turn NOOK off.  I'm quite sure that I've never held it down for that long.  When the screen goes white, I assume it's "completely" off.  Or is this just some sort of intermediate state beyond sleep?  Like coma, perhaps?  But not "completely" off?

Sounds like you "powered down" correctly!! :smileyhappy: 

If I were you I think I would take the nook to your local B&N and ask their assistance in getting the SD card recognized.  I don't know what else you could do on our own to solve the problem.  Hopefully the nearest B&N is local to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Thank you.  I entered this board today planning to copy my plea for help and enter it with a new Subject line.  I think, however, I'll print out this thread and follow your suggestion. 

I am charging my NOOK right now, so that it will be fully charged when I take it to my local B&N this afternoon. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

whiteginger wrote:

If you hold the power button for 20 seconds (supposedly 12 will do, but 20 is usually recommended) to shut it off, when you turn your NOOK back on it will reboot Android in addition to rebooting the e-reader application. This is certainly worth trying when you're having hardware glitches rather than just e-reading glitches.

It's like restarting your computer instead of just shutting down and restarting your browser.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Doug!  Of course!  That's where I read that 10+ seconds shut down--your "Didn't Read the Manual" column :smileyvery-happy: !

Thanks.  I'll give the full and complete power down a try before heading off to B&N. 

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

Problem Solved! :smileyhappy: B&N gave me a new replacement NOOK!

I tried the Full and Complete Power Down.  Nothing.  So I took my NOOK to B&N where I showed them the "not installed" in settings.  Then I took the SD out of my NOOK and installed it into one of theirs.  The card was recognized immediately.  Then B&N tried installing the card in my NOOK.  Nothing.  They exchanged NOOKS on the spot.

I came home a charged my new NOOK and then installed the SD.  Worked like a charm! 

Thanks to all.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Excellent!!!!  Happy to hear that your problem was solved.  Enjoy your new nook . . . .

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 75 members 299 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: