Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Wierd0n3
0 Kudos

Nook Touch won't Change Screensaver

Just got my new nook in the mail today and i love it. i went on a few web sites and found out about the screensaver and downloaded a few for a sample. I go into the scrensaver menu, and select it, (wish it would confirm the change) and tap the book icon in the upper left.

I hit the power button and it shows me the default screensaver! i go back, change it again, same issue!!

anyone else see this?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Touch won't Change Screensaver

I have not had this issue but a few others have.  They've said that waking it up after the first sleep (when the screensaver didn't change) and then putting it back to sleep again fixes it.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Did you create a new folder for them in the Nook's Screensavers screen folder?  This is from the User Guide:

"By default, your NOOK displays the authors screensaver when it goes to sleep.

NOTE: You can add your own collection of screensavers. Each image in the collection should be a .GIF, .JPG, or .PNG file.

Connect your NOOK to your personal computer, and using your computer’s file navigation controls, (such as Finder on a Mac) open the screensavers folder on your NOOK.

Create folder for your images and give it a one-word title, such as kids. Then drag the .GIF, .JPG, or .PNG files from your personal computer into the folder you created."

New User
Wierd0n3
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Touch won't Change Screener

Yeah I read the guide and all the posts here, and I have 3 different folders in the screensavers folder.

Each sub-folder has about 6 images in it, and they show up as options in the screensaver menu. It just bumps back to the factory default one regardless of what I try!

I've even batch converted all the files to different formats (jpg png gif) thinking the files may have a corruption, no luck.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I had that problem with my NOOK 1st Edition.

It turns out it did not like something about one of the images. In order to solve the problem I took off all my added screen saver images and started putting them back one at a time to find the "problem" one.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

I'd give LarryOnLI's suggestion a try.  

New User
TunieV
0 Kudos

I am having what seems to be a different issue than that posted here.  I used Photoshop to take a couple wallpapers I had for my laptop, changed the size to 600x760, converted to greyscale, connected my Nook to my laptop, created a folder under screensavers on the Nook and put my new screensavers in there.

I then went to Settings on the Nook, Screen and selected the radio button for the folder I just created (in other words, it recognized the new folder.  Backed out of that, put the Nook to sleep, powered it back up from sleep mode and it was back to the same old default "authors" screensavers.

The ones I added are jpgs, the correct pixel size and relatively small file sizes.

I'm not sure why it shows these are available to use but it always defaults to the "authors" one when either powering down all the way and starting back up or putting it to sleep and "waking" it up.

Any ideas on what might be wrong would be really appreciated.  Like everyone, I like a little personalization in my gadgets.  :smileyhappy:

TIA

Reader 2
GlamGirlTG
0 Kudos

I'm waiting on this thread, because I have the same issue!  I sideloaded my .jpgs into a subfolder of the "Screensavers" folder on my Nook Simple Touch.  I put it to sleep, connected to the computer, and come back and see that damn Emily Bronte screensaver, lol.  I'm losing my mind over this, but I think I'll try the advice of taking all my pics out and replacing them one by one until I find the one that is causing the "trouble".  They also don't seem to be cycling through my folder of images, even when not connected to the computer.  The one I see when I put it to sleep never changes.  :smileymad:

Correspondent
Byteguy

The one you see when you put it to sleep will NEVER change (well, there are times it wil)

It picks one, shows it, and doesn't change it until it wakes up again.

There's no need for it to change.  The screen doesn't "burn in" and takes NO energy to keep an image.  Changing while asleep just wastes battery and the point is to go to sleep to save battery.

Check the name of your subfolder (it has to be one word) and the name of your files (I haven't tested but I've run into too many electronics that like short names with NO spaces and NO special characters).

New User
Advent_Horizon

TunieV wrote:

I am having what seems to be a different issue than that posted here.  I used Photoshop to take a couple wallpapers I had for my laptop, changed the size to 600x760, converted to greyscale, connected my Nook to my laptop, created a folder under screensavers on the Nook and put my new screensavers in there.

I then went to Settings on the Nook, Screen and selected the radio button for the folder I just created (in other words, it recognized the new folder.  Backed out of that, put the Nook to sleep, powered it back up from sleep mode and it was back to the same old default "authors" screensavers.

The ones I added are jpgs, the correct pixel size and relatively small file sizes.

I'm not sure why it shows these are available to use but it always defaults to the "authors" one when either powering down all the way and starting back up or putting it to sleep and "waking" it up.

Any ideas on what might be wrong would be really appreciated.  Like everyone, I like a little personalization in my gadgets.  :smileyhappy:

TIA

I had the same problem. Since I am a minimalist when expermienting, I was naming my files one character long (such as "a"). Apparently it needs to be at least two characters long. No, I don't know why either.

Reader 2
popnowlin
0 Kudos

I can confirm the file name length issue.  I had files named a.jpg, b.jpg, etc.  When I changed them to aa.jpg, bb.jpg ... then my screen saver directory worked just fine.  Thanks for figureing that out.  Computers are amazingly devious creations.

New User
habitualbliss
0 Kudos

Yes - Single Character filenames will not get picked up as screensaver

Had my files named 1.png 2.png 3.png, and Nook totally couldn't pick them up.

Just renamed it to 1this.png 2this.png 3this.png solved it!

New User
ferretchen
0 Kudos

I originally had the same problem.  The solution: the folders in your Nook's screensaver directory must be a single word. The Nook apparently doesn't like spaces.  Instead of "Dan's Savers" user "Dan'sSavers".

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 348 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: