08-16-2010 11:19 PM
Details, please. What kind of NOOK? What steps have you taken to do the update?
Is this a new unit you just bought, or why does it need updating? There hasn't been a new update in about two months.
08-17-2010 02:31 PM
If you are receiving an invalid update message, try these steps to get NOOK fully functioning again if an error message reading “invalid update” appears during or immediately after trying to update your NOOK with the latest software update:
- Check your computer to verify that the NOOK software update file that you just downloaded from BN.COM and saved on your computer is named “signed_bravo_update.dat”. This name must match exactly. Please make sure that the file name has not been modified in any way and that Windows did not automatically add a “(1)” or “(2)” or some other extension or modification to the file name.
- Verify that the file is the correct memory size for the current V 1.4 software update, which should be 62.6MB. If the file size is anything else, you should delete the file and download it again from BN.COM.
- Tap Settings on NOOK's Home menu and make sure NOOK's battery charge is at 20% or more.
- Connect NOOK to a computer using the USB cable that came with NOOK. A new, removable NOOK drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). A"USB Mode" image will also be visible on the NOOK screen.
- Double click on the NOOK drive that appears in My Computer or on the desktop and make sure there are is no file named signed_bravo_update.dat currently on the device. If so, delete it.
- Drag and drop the downloaded file from your computer onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to an existing folder.
- After the file has finished fully copying to their NOOK, make sure the customer is un-mounting properly by right clicking on the NOOK drive in My Computer and selecting Eject.
- NOOK will recognize the file and proceed to install the update automatically.
- DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR NOOK during the installation process.
- Once installation is complete, NOOK will automatically shut-down, restart and go to the Home screen. You may also notice that the EInk display flashes a couple of times during the installation and restart; this is normal. Once on the Home screen, the installation is done. You should tap the Home icon, tap Settings and verify the software version number on the Settings screen.
- If a device reverts to version 1.2 or an earlier version software even after a successful update, please verify the steps above and repeat the process. If the second update is not successful, please call NOOK Store Support.