Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Upgrade WishList

gmhoffman wrote:

The device neets support for umlauts and other diacritics. For example, in The Third Reich at War, Łódź renders as L d and Göring as G ring. Vexing when you're reading anything with lots of German, Czech, Frecnc, or Polish names.

That is a major shortcoming. I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned on the boards before.

Have you tried different fonts? Perhaps it renders properly in one of the other fonts.

Reader 4
0 Kudos

Personally, I would be very happy if the darn thing stopped freezing up on me!

After that, a go to page number, and a better dictionary function.  Unless I am looking up the root of a word, the dictionary can't find the word.  Would be nice if I could at least type in a word to look up instead of having to use the verb tense as shown in the book.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

2769 wrote:

Personally, I would be very happy if the darn thing stopped freezing up on me!

After that, a go to page number, and a better dictionary function.  Unless I am looking up the root of a word, the dictionary can't find the word.  Would be nice if I could at least type in a word to look up instead of having to use the verb tense as shown in the book.

Actually, 2769, I think that's the #1 requested change for the nook, some people have been visting this link (not everyone of course) and voting on possible changes, as well as suggesting others. the only thing we don't know is if anyone from B&N ever checks the site out to see what we might really want/need in an upgrade.

http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=408a&t=408a.40&v=23

New User
kdlocicero
0 Kudos

I completely agree. I would love to separate by series and to know which books I have already read. In the bn e-reader app for the iPhone it shows which books you have already read. I would like this to transition over to the nook since the iphone bn e-reader and nook can sync.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

kdlocicero wrote:

I completely agree. I would love to separate by series and to know which books I have already read. In the bn e-reader app for the iPhone it shows which books you have already read. I would like this to transition over to the nook since the iphone bn e-reader and nook can sync.

well here's a location someone set up to vote on wishful changes. no guarantee of course that anyone from B&N will ever look at it.   http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=408a&t=408a.40&v=23

BNDavid

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to let the people who read this thread/forum know that the folks from Barnes and Noble do watch and listen and read and take note of your thoughts/opinions.  This media is a valuable source of information and your input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

BNDavid wrote:

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to let the people who read this thread/forum know that the folks from Barnes and Noble do watch and listen and read and take note of your thoughts/opinions.  This media is a valuable source of information and your input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Hey, thanks so much for letting us know!  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

BNDavid wrote:

Hi Folks,

Cheers!

I have to admit, it is quite a relief to see that we are being paid attention to! There are times you feel (as a user) that your needs aren't being considered and the changes being done don't necessarily reflect the actual needs of the user.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

My thoughts exactly!  It's nice to feel like we actually have a role in the Nook evolution!

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
DHawthorne
0 Kudos

Better touchscreen responsiveness. Mine will never wake up by tapping it, yet wakes up all the time when I am trying to swipe it to turn pages. Likewise, the page turn swipe is pretty darn finicky, it drives me nuts if I don't quite swipe fast enough, and nothing happens.

On a similar note, the page flips are not consistent on all book formats. EPubs, I have noticed, tend to bog down about 25% into the book ... and it can take up to 5 seconds to register a page flip and execute it. Add this to my first item, and and you wind up swiping 2-3 times ... then getting two or three page flips instead of the one you wanted. Funny enough, you get to about half way through the book, and they are perfectly responsive again.

Reader
stewrat
0 Kudos

Repeating some of items listed already for wish list - in the hope this thread and hopes might get acted upon. My top 3.

Look at the Sony stuff standard - there are 3 things I miss since moving from sony to nook -

1 when looking for a book - bookmarks for multiple books and ability to search bookmarks ... hence I can read multiple books at once - depending what I feel like reading ..

2 when in a book - go to page

3 when looking for a book - seach feature - not just a listing all feature - listing only what you search for

Those features to work on books in my documents etc...

Oh - and final one number 4 - change around page forward and back buttons - I actually like them the way they are, but I bought a nook for me mum, and she wants them other way around. When I thought about it - can't see why you can't choose ....

Other than that - the nook rocks it for me.

Correspondent
Cleos_Mum
0 Kudos

One thing that I would like to see that I haven't seen (or missed) in this thread: Ability to take and keep some notes that aren't tied to a specific book/article.

Of course, I am all for some of the other suggestions too - bookmarks for multiple books, bookshelf management, wi-fi for sideloading, et al. Really, there have been virtually no suggestions that don't seem valuable in some sense.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“The greatest gift is a passion for reading.”
- Elizabeth Hardwick

Contributor
BobRD
0 Kudos

Thanks for the list - that does help.  But I'd like to see the name of the city on the Nook screen along with the picture.  Otherwise, which is Kuala Lumpur vs Shanghai?

Contributor
mmlibrary1
0 Kudos

Please fix the missing Book Cover images in the "Show Covers" android feature in My B&N Library.  Half of my book covers are "not available" on the B&N site when I purchase them.  I have seen these available on others sites - it doesn't make any sense to me. It looks so tacky to scroll thru all of these blank covers.

Correspondent
Cleos_Mum
0 Kudos

Another suggestion: How about listing the page count in the item detals of the library list? Sometimes I would like a quick read and other times I want something to get lost in for days on end. The more books I get, the less I can remember the specifics about which book is longer.

Well, ok - before anyone has to waste the time to correct me - I do understand that the page count will change based on font and text size. So maybe list a 'default' page count (how many pages if you were using the default font/text size) or perhaps even just the file size? Just looking for a point of reference without having to guess or (gasp!) actually plug into my PC to check.

- Elizabeth Hardwick

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,998
0 Kudos

Cleos_Mum wrote:

I do understand that the page count will change based on font and text size.

Only for eReader PDB format files. EPUBs and PDFs have constant page count.

New User
Divasoprano
0 Kudos

PLEASE fix the highlight/notetaking features to make it more user friendly and the touch screen more responsive.

Correspondent
Cleos_Mum
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Cleos_Mum wrote:

I do understand that the page count will change based on font and text size.

Only for eReader PDB format files. EPUBs and PDFs have constant page count.

Thank you for correcting me. That's what I love about these boards - I learn something new every day! :smileyhappy:

- Elizabeth Hardwick

Contributor
NannersNR
0 Kudos

I agree that I would like to be able to:

1.  Jump by page numbers

2.  Library indication of audio books AND bookmarks for those that you are reading, esp. if

they would jump you to the book mark.

3.  What I am reading should be able to show multiple bookx for those like me who are quite

often reading at least 3/4 books.  I love to browse thru dictionaries etc.

4.  Being able to see my books in the SD card in the main screen rather than having to go to

the Documents section.  Even just a link to  Documents/Library.  Being able to book mark

those books too & jump to them.

I am a prollific reader and would love to see the Nook keep ahead of the ebook reader game.

Problems:

When USB'd into my work computer the Nook does not charge.  Why?

Problems syncing with B & N at work, but that is not a B & N problem but a marginal wireless setup at work.

I hate removing DRM from the lit books I purchased, but, once again, not a B & N problem.  I get around it but it is a royal pain in the ass.

Contributor
NannersNR
0 Kudos

YES!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 521 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: