Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Reader 2
Linda84
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎09-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

I was having issues getting my newpaper delivered so I called and was told to reregister the nook, did it and now I have no bood either. When I go to download them it says quered will begin shortly and nothing ever happens. Tech support told me it was my network doing it, but I have 1 book and todays newspaper so I don't have faith in them.

Contributor
KelD
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

Tech support told me to try another wi-fi spot and try downloading a book and it did work at the libraries wi-fi. 3G works also, just not my wi-fi any more. Browser, purchase, shop all work fine, just not the downloading part. 

After a while of being qued to download I see the 3G bars show up but I get no reception in my house.

 

Did anyone find a solution to this? Tech support told me to call my isp but my nook is connected.

If you need any more info from me please let me know..

Thank you,

Kelly

 

 

 

New User
smr80
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

I'm also having the same problem. 

 

I purchased last month and after 12 days when it upgraded to 1.5 I was no longer able to download books at home with my wifi.  I called the day after Thanksgiving and was told to wait 24 hours.  Same problem.  I called again and was told that digital response would replace my nook.  I suggested that I bring it back to Barnes and Noble to exchange and the tech said to try that even though I was 1 day over the 14 day return.  So I went to B&N and everything worked fine there as far as my books downloaded no problem, no error message of "queued will complete shortly.....".  I went back home and again, I could not download.  The next day I went to Starbucks and it worked.  So obviously, as long as you're at same major wifi hotspot it will work.  I called tech support again and a tech had me reboot to factory settings, unregister, reregister and on and on.  He suggested that my wi-fi may be spotty, etc., but I explained to his that my laptop and desktop work fine with the wireless.  He said he would send out a replacement and I would have it within 3-5 business days.  I called on the 5th day to find out the status and it still was not sent out, but they did send it out the next day.  However, when I opened it I found that it was a "certified pre-owned nook".  Quite frankly, I don't appreciate getting a replacement of a brand new nook with a pre-owned nook.  And to boot, I'm getting the same nonsense on the "replacement nook". 

 

This has got to be some glitch that they should have a resolution to!  I know I'm completely frustrated!

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


KelD wrote:

Tech support told me to try another wi-fi spot and try downloading a book and it did work at the libraries wi-fi. 3G works also, just not my wi-fi any more. Browser, purchase, shop all work fine, just not the downloading part. 

After a while of being qued to download I see the 3G bars show up but I get no reception in my house.

 

Did anyone find a solution to this? Tech support told me to call my isp but my nook is connected.

If you need any more info from me please let me know..

Thank you,

Kelly

 

 

 


 

I doubt it's your ISP. My nook does the same thing. I figure it's not my wifi, if I can use the web browser and shop from my nook with no problem. It's just downloading the book that's the problem. Nothing has changed with either my internet, modem, or wifi router. I even turned off all security to check if that was interferring with downloads somehow. Downloads from B&N from my computer work perfectly still so if I need a book from my B&N account right away I've been sideloading it. Otherwise, I've been waiting till I can get to B&N (it's only about 10 minutes away) and then downloading a bunch of stuff all at once since it works great there. Since it works fine at B&N I doubt it's the nook itself. The only thing I can think of that's left is something with the download messed something up and I hope it gets fixed soon. It's a bit inconvenient.

 

Fran

Contributor
KelD
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

I just took it to my in-laws house and it worked fine there, also a netgear router. It is like the 1.5 download (or something) left a speed bump in my router. I reset my router and security and could'nt do anything to help. I think tommorow I'm going to swipe their router and install it here and see what happens. Besides ticking off the mother-in-law:smileyvery-happy:.

Thank you,

Kelly

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


KelD wrote:

I just took it to my in-laws house and it worked fine there, also a netgear router. It is like the 1.5 download (or something) left a speed bump in my router. I reset my router and security and could'nt do anything to help. I think tommorow I'm going to swipe their router and install it here and see what happens. Besides ticking off the mother-in-law:smileyvery-happy:.

Thank you,

Kelly


 

I just wish I knew what the difference was.  I have a new Netgear router (well, I bought it in September when school started since my old Linksys was not playing nice with the kids' school computer. I'm not sure the old router ever worked quite right, we had trouble from the beginning with it). I'd hate to have to get another new router just because something is not liking my nook right now. Especially since I suspect something in the update did it.  I've also reset my router and played with security settings, even going so far as to turn all security off just to see if that was the problem. Nope. Strange, it doesn't seem to be that many people having problems. Ah, well. I can still read and it gives me an excuse to get out of the house by myself and hang out at the bookstore. Perhaps someone with more techy knowledge can figure it out.

 

Fran

Contributor
KelD
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


 

I just wish I knew what the difference was.  I have a new Netgear router (well, I bought it in September when school started since my old Linksys was not playing nice with the kids' school computer. I'm not sure the old router ever worked quite right, we had trouble from the beginning with it). I'd hate to have to get another new router just because something is not liking my nook right now. Especially since I suspect something in the update did it.  I've also reset my router and played with security settings, even going so far as to turn all security off just to see if that was the problem. Nope. Strange, it doesn't seem to be that many people having problems. Ah, well. I can still read and it gives me an excuse to get out of the house by myself and hang out at the bookstore. Perhaps someone with more techy knowledge can figure it out.

 

Fran


Their router is newer than mine and had some settings that I don't seem to have, but the ones I changed didn't help. My brother-in-law is techy and maybe can help. And I like messing with things. just hope a new router isn't the answer though.

 

 

Kelly

Reader
kendalle
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

Yes! Kind of, I think. 

 

So last night i downloaded a book and went on to read of Pride and Prejudice which came on my Nook. All was well, this morning i couldn't get the thing to turn on! finally it decided to turn on, and it was back to factory settings, Welcome to Nook! register now!

 

So i thought, hmm maybe my pushing the power button to long set it back, as i've only had my nook a few weeks and don't know all the details of it yet. 

 

All my books came from online, but i don't have my originals that came with it. Which is what i was reading. 

 

It did the update, which i think i had before but had no problems with until i turned it off for the night. 

Inspired Contributor
nookie01
Posts: 123
Registered: ‎12-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

[ Edited ]

 


KelD wrote:

Tech support told me to try another wi-fi spot and try downloading a book and it did work at the libraries wi-fi. 3G works also, just not my wi-fi any more. Browser, purchase, shop all work fine, just not the downloading part. 

After a while of being qued to download I see the 3G bars show up but I get no reception in my house.

 

Did anyone find a solution to this? Tech support told me to call my isp but my nook is connected.

If you need any more info from me please let me know..

Thank you,

Kelly

 

 

 


 

I am almost positive it is NOT your ISP provider or your router/WiFi information. 

 

Here is why I say I believe the problem is internal and is somehow related to the software update:

 

My nook has done the same thing described in this thread three times since the update (hanging up on downloading books). They go in queue or they stop at 24% download. I've figured out a work-around, but it is still not very convenient. Prior to the update, I never experienced this problem. I've had my Nook since January 2 and it has always worked flawlessly.

 

Because I was aware that others were having this problem, I did a comparison using a second Nook from the same location.

 

On Wednesday of last week, we received a certified Pre-Owned nook that we purchased on Black Friday for my daughter. I opened the box so that I could charge it for her and make sure that it had the new update. I sideloaded the update with no problem and then set up a new account for her and got the device registered in her name. All went well with that (happy refurb owner!) and so I decided to download the free Friday books to her Nook. This action completed in a matter of seconds... really fast and very simple - two books ordered, two books on the Nook just like that.

 

Then from my Nook I purchased those same books and and attempted to download them. Sure enough - the download went into queue and hung up during the process. I was in the exact location using the same router that worked for my daughter's Nook. There was maybe a three to five minute time difference between when I ordered the books for her and when I ordered them for myself, so I'm pretty sure that this was not a busy server problem (it was mid-day Wednesday... not your typical heavy site usage time of day).

 

This tells me that it is not my router and it is not my ISP because it worked for my dd's nook from the same location - the only variable was that we set up a different account for her, so our accounts are not tied to the same email or credit card. This also tells me that it is something that is happening with some nooks and not others.

 

Other details that may or may not be relevant - both Nooks that I used for this test were 3G/WiFi classic Nooks. I have no idea how old the refurbished device is, but I know that my Nook was probably from that very first batch that rolled out last year.

 

[edited for clarity]

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


nookie01 wrote:

 


Other details that may or may not be relevant - both Nooks that I used for this test were 3G/WiFi classic Nooks. I have no idea how old the refurbished device is, but I know that my Nook was probably from that very first batch that rolled out last year.

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

Not sure if that variable is relevant or not. My nook is having this problem and it's a wifi only that was purchased in August. it was originally running firmware 1.4.1. But I know people with wifi only nooks purchased around the same time with the same firmware that don't have this issue.

 

Fran

 

 

Reader 2
LoveLearning
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

I bought books successfully last week, but today when I purchsed a book the confirming message said I needed to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot to download.  I have the 3G Nook because in my rural area I don't have a Wi-Fi hotspot.  (Even the 3G is spotty due to the mountains.)  I've never before seen the message that my book would download by Wi-Fi before.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
Posts: 725
Registered: ‎08-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


LoveLearning wrote:

I bought books successfully last week, but today when I purchsed a book the confirming message said I needed to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot to download.  I have the 3G Nook because in my rural area I don't have a Wi-Fi hotspot.  (Even the 3G is spotty due to the mountains.)  I've never before seen the message that my book would download by Wi-Fi before.


 

Check the size of the ebook.  Some ebooks are too large to download via 3G and must be downloaded via wi-fi.

 

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
KelD
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


KelD wrote:

I just took it to my in-laws house and it worked fine there, also a netgear router. It is like the 1.5 download (or something) left a speed bump in my router. I reset my router and security and could'nt do anything to help. I think tommorow I'm going to swipe their router and install it here and see what happens. Besides ticking off the mother-in-law:smileyvery-happy:.

Thank you,

Kelly


 

So I took my router to the in-laws and hooked it up, nook downloads books fine then. Took the router home and hooked it up and no downloads at home. I know it should'nt be the modem, but everything points to it being the issue, at least in  my case. They have the same modem and centurylink service provider as I do.

 

Centurylink customer service ran through some speed tests and other tests and could'nt find a problem but are sending me a new modem with wireless.

 

That the modem is causing this is hard for me to swallow too, but maybe thats what has been causing problems with my daily updating also. Works anywhere else. My problem might be unique but I will post what happens just in case it helps others.

 

They mentioned a port forwarding site and said I could do some messing around with my router but that is beyond the scope of my knowledge. Although I do have a new router on the way so I guess if I mess it up it aint too serious.

 

Kelly

 

 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


KelD wrote:

 

Centurylink customer service ran through some speed tests and other tests and could'nt find a problem but are sending me a new modem with wireless.

 

 


 

If you're wit CenturyLink in East Central North Carolina, they're useless.  Useless.

 

I hope your new modem fixes it.  :smileyhappy:

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

Just thought I'd give everyone an update.  After not being able to download anything since the update, it finally works. :smileyhappy: Last night I was suddenly able to download anything I wanted without any trouble at all. I did absolutely nothing to get it to work this time. I noticed yesterday afternoon that the last book I ordered had actually downloaded so I tried to download something else and it didn't work at all. Early in the evening while I was reading it was acting really weird and sluggish so I rebooted it. When I turned it back on all the screens were blank, including the lcd screen. I rebooted it again and just to check that everything was working this time I checked out all the screens. I went into the Daily and it was updated! What? My Daily has never updated unless I was in a B&N since I've had it. So I went to My B&N Library and clicked a book to download and it was there in seconds. I downloaded bunches more that I'd archived and it worked on all of them. It still works this  morning, so right now I'm not questioning it, just thankful it works.

 

By the way I've rebooted the nook and my router and modem about a dozen times since the update hoping it would fix it and it never did so I'm not sure why it would magically work this time. And I didn't change anything in my router, modem or nook. It's strange to actually see the screen full when I click on the Daily now. All I ever had before (unless I was in a B&N) was the stupid Dave Barry piece. I still have that but I don't mind so much anymore since everything else came back.

 

On the downside, I think my laptop is dying. But that's a whole other issue. :smileysad:

 

I hope everyone else's nook magically starts working like mine did. Maybe B&N did something to their servers or something.

 

 

Fran

Contributor
KelD
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


frantastk wrote:

Just thought I'd give everyone an update.  After not being able to download anything since the update, it finally works. :smileyhappy: Last night I was suddenly able to download anything I wanted without any trouble at all. I did absolutely nothing to get it to work this time. I noticed yesterday afternoon that the last book I ordered had actually downloaded so I tried to download something else and it didn't work at all. Early in the evening while I was reading it was acting really weird and sluggish so I rebooted it. When I turned it back on all the screens were blank, including the lcd screen. I rebooted it again and just to check that everything was working this time I checked out all the screens. I went into the Daily and it was updated! What? My Daily has never updated unless I was in a B&N since I've had it. So I went to My B&N Library and clicked a book to download and it was there in seconds. I downloaded bunches more that I'd archived and it worked on all of them. It still works this  morning, so right now I'm not questioning it, just thankful it works.

 

By the way I've rebooted the nook and my router and modem about a dozen times since the update hoping it would fix it and it never did so I'm not sure why it would magically work this time. And I didn't change anything in my router, modem or nook. It's strange to actually see the screen full when I click on the Daily now. All I ever had before (unless I was in a B&N) was the stupid Dave Barry piece. I still have that but I don't mind so much anymore since everything else came back.

 

On the downside, I think my laptop is dying. But that's a whole other issue. :smileysad:

 

I hope everyone else's nook magically starts working like mine did. Maybe B&N did something to their servers or something.

 

 

Fran


 

Thats great, must have been your lucky day. Still no luck here, and I hope my luck is coming in the form of a new modem/router, I'd still rather it started working like yours did. Sorry about your laptop though, good luck.

 

Kelly

Contributor
KelD
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


Ya_Ya wrote:

 


KelD wrote:

 

Centurylink customer service ran through some speed tests and other tests and could'nt find a problem but are sending me a new modem with wireless.

 

 


 

If you're wit CenturyLink in East Central North Carolina, they're useless.  Useless.

 

I hope your new modem fixes it.  :smileyhappy:


 

They might be useless here also, I have not needed support too often fortunately. I upgraded to a leased modem/router, so they still made money off me.

 

The first time I called them they wanted me to sign up for advanced support at $14.95 for 12 months to trouble shoot my problem because I had 3rd party hardware installed (router). The second time I called I had eliminated my router as a cause and the lady did'nt doubt me. I was going to put this information in one of my previous posts but I am a painfully slow typist. They certainly like to make money but that's the game I suppose.

 

Thank you,

Kelly

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner
Posts: 144
Registered: ‎01-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

FYI,

 

There has been a period of time recently where some of the larger cable providers have had real issues with routing.

 

I had a period of days where my internet service was unavailable from Comcast yet Comcast was not having any issues across town (Minneapolis). It is entirely possible that happened to you too. You were connected but the ISP couldn't find a route to B&N.

 

There were numerous articles posted about this topic, do a little research of news articles and I'll bet you'll find that was what happened.

Contributor
KelD
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


Tboner wrote:

FYI,

 

There has been a period of time recently where some of the larger cable providers have had real issues with routing.

 

I had a period of days where my internet service was unavailable from Comcast yet Comcast was not having any issues across town (Minneapolis). It is entirely possible that happened to you too. You were connected but the ISP couldn't find a route to B&N.

 

There were numerous articles posted about this topic, do a little research of news articles and I'll bet you'll find that was what happened.


I hope that aint it, but I would'nt be surprised. I am not overly optomistic that a new modem would solve my problem. If it won't work with the new modem/router it's going to be interesting to see if Centurylink can figure out the new one but not the old one.

 

 

Thank's for the info,

 

Kelly

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Version 1.5: Are you having this Issue?

 


Tboner wrote:

FYI,

 

There has been a period of time recently where some of the larger cable providers have had real issues with routing.

 

I had a period of days where my internet service was unavailable from Comcast yet Comcast was not having any issues across town (Minneapolis). It is entirely possible that happened to you too. You were connected but the ISP couldn't find a route to B&N.

 

There were numerous articles posted about this topic, do a little research of news articles and I'll bet you'll find that was what happened.


 

Would that only effect one devise, though? Mine seems to be fixed (yeah!) but when I was having problems I could download from B&N with the nook for pc app no problem, using the same wireless connection. And every other wireless devise we had was fine. I could also shop from the nook and archive and unarchive books and browse the web with the nook. It was only downloading on the nook that seemed to be disabled. I have Verizon DSL and it is not the most reliable thing out there but we've never had that kind of trouble. And, like I said, our internet and wireless connection was fine. 

 

I hope everyone with this problem finds a fix for it.

 

Fran

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
322
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 405 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: