Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Genome87
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Won't Wake/Frozen

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have the same problem, I was reading perfectly till this morning. My Nook is frozen, and does not respond to any of the trouble shooting you have posted here or in other threads...

I am in Spain, so I don't know if I could solve the issue by plugging it into the wall (with an adapter).

By the way, the adapter is just the "physical" adapter, with out a converter, isnt it?

I have the last software version (or HAD), don't know what to do.

Pleas, help me. Thanks

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Genome87 wrote:

I am in Spain, so I don't know if I could solve the issue by plugging it into the wall (with an adapter).

By the way, the adapter is just the "physical" adapter, with out a converter, isnt it?

Right. You don't need a converter, just an adapter.

New User
AvidReader_Charles
0 Kudos

Michael-V:  I just bought a nook two days ago and after fully charging it and shutting down overnight (the first night), the battery was dead the next morning.  Are you working to fix this problem? I have assured that I have the software v.1.3.  Would it help to turn airplane mode on before shutting down?  I love this little e-reader and I hope that B&N will work hard to fix this problem. I would like to know, like many others on here, if your are optimistic, even sure, that this is only a temporary problem and that it will eventually be solved and fixed.  Thanks and  Good Luck.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

AvidReader_Charles wrote:

I just bought a nook two days ago and after fully charging it and shutting down overnight (the first night), the battery was dead the next morning.

This isn't right at all.

Are you sure that you got it charged? The NOOK is wacko in that it won't charge if it's turned off. A lot of folks (including myself) have left it "charging" overnight to find out that it didn't charge at all because we'd turned it off, thinking that it would charge faster (like most devices do).

If it was truly fully charged, something is broken. Call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support. Or take it back to the store for an exchange.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Try these steps, one at a time to get your NOOK fully functioning again:

1.  Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds and then release.  Then press it again for about 4 seconds to power up your NOOK. 

2.  The battery on your NOOK may be completely drained. Connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.* 

*In some cases, re-charging may require the following steps below:

-Unplug the NOOK.

-Remove the battery (if you don't know how, I have attached a video page on how to remove the battery): 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/NOOK/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=30195#vid3

Once the battery is removed, connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter.  The NOOK should begin to go through its booting process.  Once booted, replace the battery (don't turn the NOOK off or unplug) and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.

Once your NOOK is fully functioning, please verify you have the latest update by going to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.3.0.

If you don't have the latest update you can download it here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

If you are still having issue, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
mlbarner
0 Kudos

Thanks!  That worked.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@mlbarner,

Welcome aboard and I am happy that worked!

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
Vivian60
0 Kudos

Let me see if I can get all the pertinent info in here.  I have the nook that came out in Jan.

Sunday it began freezing.  I had to take the battery out several times. Got it back up Sunday night. and left it on the wall charger.  Ok in the morning until I was in the library...after about two clicks it froze.  Wouldn't thaw at all.  I now have a white screen.  I've done a ton of reading on the forums.  Tried the piece of paper to tighten the battery.  Tried pulling the battery and starting with just the wall plug.  I apparently tried to start it so often that this morning it slipped into Brenna's mode and began loading the 1.1.1 version.  Apparently hung up while working with the partitions.  I am back to the white screen.

Advice will be greatly appreciated.  I hope to take it into the store tomorrow evening...I really don't think they can help me as it is not metroly (new word!) located.  It will be Thursday before I can dedicate the time to work with support.

New User
bruehasis
0 Kudos

I have the same problem...........what are we going to do?

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

I seem to be having some freezing issues also. Love the Nook, so I'm not getting too excited at this point. I purchased the Nook Saturday. Brought it home, charged it, life is good. No problems Saturday or Sunday. Picked it Monday morning and it was frozen. Battery was completely drained. I had left wi-fi on so i figured that was my problem. No problems the rest of Monday or Tuesday. This morning I picked it up. Frozen. WOn's start. Plugged it in and  and after a few moments of nothing, the screen flashed and pronounced it was starting up. When I went to bed last night, it had about an 82% charge and I did turn off wi-fi. 

Hope this doesn't turn into an every other day occurrence. Is it best to turn on airplane mode each night?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Try these steps, one at a time to get your NOOK fully functioning again:

1.  Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds and then release.  Then press it again for about 4 seconds to power up your NOOK. 

2.  The battery on your NOOK may be completely drained. Connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.* 

*In some cases, re-charging may require the following steps below:

-Unplug the NOOK.

-Remove the battery (if you don't know how, I have attached a video page on how to remove the battery): 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/NOOK/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=30195#vid3

Once the battery is removed, connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter.  The NOOK should begin to go through its booting process.  Once booted, replace the battery (don't turn the NOOK off or unplug) and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.

Once your NOOK is fully functioning, please verify you have the latest update by going to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.3.0.

If you don't have the latest update you can download it here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

The nook's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the nook is fully charged; also restricting the power source. 

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life.  *Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your nook when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

* Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your nook for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your nook off for storage. If you are going to store your nook for
more that a week, turn it off. 

The user manual for the nook is located on the device itself as a .pdf 
Go to: My library> View my documents> nook user guide. 
*You can also visit http://www.nook.com/support to download a digital copy.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
Vivian60
0 Kudos

Went to the closest BN Wednesday night.  Took in my nook and the charger.  I also took my email about what I had done.  I got a replacement Nook.  They said I had done everything that could be ond. In and out.  Everyone was super nice.

My new one is now registered and up and running!

New User
Pofman
0 Kudos

This worked perfectly for me.

New User
poloa
0 Kudos

Mine did the same thing, getting worse over a 3 week period. I took it back to the store and they tried everything they could. They agreed with my opinion and gave me a new one. This one has been working fine for a week doing every it is supposed to. I'm a happy camper. Don't get discouraged, it is a new device and needs field testing to make it the best.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Pofman,

Welcome aboard and happy to hear this worked for you.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
nickgn71
0 Kudos

I recently received a replacement nook (unrelated issue) and have had it freeze twice this week.  The odd part is that I never had these problems with the old nook and I haven't changed my nook using behaviors - so my battery usage/life shouldn't be an issue.  It is currently frozen.  Unfortunately, I'm at work and do not have my adapter, but will try the tricks tonight when I get home. 

New User
nickgn71
0 Kudos

The fixes posted above did not work for me.  I called customer service and was told that taking the battery out and then plugging the nook into the adapter no longer works.  Instead I was instructed to take the battery out for 15 minutes, then let it charge for four hours.  After the charging period my issue is supposed to be resolved.  I sure hope so!  I need my nook for bedtime reading!

New User
salemjanice
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answer, after trying several other ideas, your is the one that

fixed the problem. Thanks

Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a very strange issue. I had written about this on another thread too. I got my  nook in April, and it was working perfectly fine. I bought this as I was supposed to go out of the country for 6 months, and thought that this might give me good company. In May, I left the US, and on the flight, it was working fine. Just before landing, I switched my nook off. After about a week, when I tried to turn the nook back on, it just wouldn't start up. I tried charging the nook for more than a day, but, that did not work either.

I went through the forums trying a lot of things, but none of them worked. I even removed the battery, and plugged it directly to the wall outlet. But, the nook still won't start up. I tried connecting it to my laptop, but, nothing.

I am really frustrated now, and don't know what to do. I am now stuck with an expensive paper weight, and I am outside the country.

Any help in getting my nook up will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ AvidReader_Cha...

Was your nook on when charging?  Did the yellow light come on?  

I keep leave airplane mode on most of the time, unless I specifically need to access wifi or 3G.  Having airplane mode off uses more battery.

When I finish reading, I let my nook sleep.  I only shut it down when required by airline personnel.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 418 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: