Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Captain_Awesome
0 Kudos

Nook Won't Wake/Frozen

Hello all,

I had fully charged my nook yesterday, read a few pages, and then set it aside. Today I took it out to show someone how cool it is but when I press the power button nothing happens. It just sits on the screensaver with the "Press the power button to wake your nook" message on the top. I have tried holding down the buttons, chargin it again, and conncecting it to a PC. Later today when I get a chance I might try removing the battery and reinserting it.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for this problem? Maybe someone else has had it?

Contributor
James_Croft
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Won't Wake/Frozen

1. Hold power button down for approx. 15 seconds. The Nook's screen will not go off.

2. Press power button briefly.

3. The Nook should reset and start back up.

If this does not work, the Nook is likely out of charge, and will need to be plugged in.

This is the method I have been using to fix this problem since I received my defective Nook on the 16th December. We were promised a fix in an update due Wednesday 30th, but B&N reneged on that promise.

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

I had that happen to me too, caused by the battery unexpectedly and completely draining overnight.

Try this, if it doesn't work then go on to the other suggestions about removing the battery etc.

1. Plug in the nook. Check to see if the battery light glows orange. If not, press the power button to turn the nook on.

2. Press and hold the power button until the orange light goes off. This probably isn't strictly necessary, but it at least lets you know that the hardware is working.

3. Press the power button so the light comes on again, then let it charge for a couple of hours. It should start working as soon as it has a decent charge. Remember that the nook isn't charging if the orange light isn't on.

It seems the more I use the nook the better the battery life gets, I think it is (at least partly) a software calibration issue that auto-corrects and not a true hardware malfunction. 

You should probably check to make sure that you've either turned "airplane mode" on or turned wireless off. The battery charge is only expected to last 2 days if the nook is connecting wirelessly, so having the nook battery die in only one day is not really that odd if the software hasn't calibrated yet. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Another interesting Battery incident:

I ran the battery totally dry intentionally.  Blew right thru the 20% warning.  Kept reading for another two or three hours.  I was checking battery status periodically.

When it got down to 4 percent, I exited the book, and read some newspapers that I had side loaded with Calibre.  There is actually quite of bit of touch screen interaction reading newspapers.  Did that for another hour.  By then I was down to 1 percent.

FINALLY the nook shut off with the Exhausted battery message left on the screen.

Plugged it into wall charger, and the light came on.   After about 15 minutes it cleared its screen back to white - essentially shut down all the way.  Power light stayed on.  I let it charge.

An hour later I tried to power it up, but it would not power up.  Tried all the button tricks.  Nothing worked.

Pulled the plug.  Charge light stayed on:smileysurprised:  Wow!! Never saw that comming. 

So I pulled the battery, in preparation for plugging it in with the battery removed trick.

The charge light stayed on!  GAAK!  It was Unplugged,   Battery was out. Charge light ON!! :womansurprised:

I was expecting Rod Serling to step out and say a few words...

Plugged it in with battery removed, and it power cycled, flickered, shut off the charge light, and started booting up.  I inserted the battery when fully booted, and checked the charge state.  It had rebounded to 35% in that hour I let it sit.  Yet it refused to boot till I did the yank-battery-plug-in trick.

So going all the way to zero is probably NOT a great idea unless you have the tiny screw driver handy.

Because it would seem that if you do so, it remains in a state where it can't even boot up enough to turn off the charge light when its unplugged without the yank-battery-plug-in trick.

You can read right thru the warning, but it seems wise to plug in or power down at 2 or 3 %.

Frequent Contributor
Captain_Awesome
0 Kudos

So this afternoon I let it charge completely and it started to work again. This worries me though if the Nook will randomly lose all of its battery power overnight. I definitely had all airplane mode set to ON so there is no reason the battery should have drained overnight. The device will be completely useless if I am not capable of charging it. I hope they come out with a update to fix this problem. Thanks for everyone's responses.

New User
nookiewookie
0 Kudos

Same thing happened to me. My nook went frozen when it was formatting. I couldnt get it to boot up no matter how much I used to the power button (hold for 19sec then press again). Here is what worked:

Get a small screw driver -the kind for eyeglasses you will need it to remove battery...

Take off the back cover (look online at the user guide to do it correctly-it's easy).

Remove the battery with the screwdriver (at this point even with the battery off, the screen still said it was formatting).

Wait a few seconds, put the battery back in, close cover.

Plug the charger into the nook and plug into socket like you are recharging it.

My nook then rebooted itself.

Hope this works for you!

Don't let these lil' bugs get you down..the nook will eventually rule because Android is special!!!!

New User
TTNook
0 Kudos

Just wanted to explain how I got my frozen nook to work again.  Found this solution on this thread, so I'm just saying this worked.

Apparently the battery had drained.  I had aiport mode off, so based on what I've read, it makes sense that it was drained, as I have not used it for a few days.

Screen was just at the screensaver with the "press the power button to turn the nook on" (or whatever) message. 

- Pressed the button - NOTHING

- Pressed and held the button for 20 seconds, then pressed it again - NOTHING

- Took the battery out, put it back in pressed the button - NOTHING

- Took the battery out, put it back in, pressed and held the button for 20 seconds, pressed the button - NOTHING

- Plugged the nook in for 2 hours then (did all of the above) - NOTHING

THIS IS WHAT WORKED:

- Took the battery out

- plugged the nook into the wall charger

- the nook reset itself and came up to a "the nook is starting" screen

- I put the battery back in while it was still plugged in and "starting up"

- It is now ACTUALLY charging and working normally

Seems like there is something about a completely drained battery that causes it to not recognize that the power cord has been plugged in and won't allow it to take a charge.

Kinda weird, but at least this process worked.  Hopefully this will be addressed by a software update and IS NOT a hardware issue.

Gotta say I really like my nook.  This is my first eBook reader purchase and I am pretty happy so far.  Now they need to install a feature that actually creates more time for reading!  :smileyhappy:

Happy Nooking!

Reader
a_frequent_traveler
0 Kudos

Just wanted to say thank you. I've had my nook less than a week and had a couple of issues, this being the newest. I fully charged mine yesterday (showed a full charge), read awhile last night, let it go to sleep and it pulled a sleeping beauty on me, not waking up today/sticking on the screensaver. I tried holding down the button and removing the battery too (which works with every other piece of electronics I've ever had). The only thing that worked was plugging it in while the battery was out, then replacing the battery. Now I see that my battery was basically dead for no reason. :smileysad: Odd this happened after the update yesterday... and yes, I charged it after that.

I've also had it "forget" where I am in a book when I come back later. I was 10 pgs from finishing the book, came back the next day and it was on pg34 - had it in airplane mode once, not the other times so that didn't seem to be the issue. So far, this has been an issue with only one book. Hopefully, that'll be it.

Just hoping they figure out these bugs soon...

New User
Lennington_Carrowell
0 Kudos

Is B&N Going to do anything about these defective Nooks?

Has anyone else noticed that while it is possible to "rate" every other item on the B&N site, it is not possible to WARN other customers about these defective nooks?  Anyone else interested in a class action lawsuit or trying to get B&N to do a total recall of this defective item?  Mine won't work after doing all the tricks posted here, and getting to "customer service" is nearly impossible.  Perhaps if they had waited to sell them until they actually had them in hand, instead of rushing to get them sold for Christmas, they could have been appropriately manufactured and tested?  I think I'm going to look at a Kindle!

Reader
mortisMM
0 Kudos

Re: Is B&N Going to do anything about these defective Nooks?

Anger issues obviously. My nook has been perfect as have everyone I know. Suggesting a recall is a bit dramatic. When my new Ipod didn't work, I sure didn't demand a recall from Apple.  Just take it to a store for a refund and move on. You just got a bad one. It happens!!!

New User
moma333
0 Kudos

This happened to me about a month ago when I tried to reformat my font...

Unlike an iPod, It doesn't work when you plug it into a computer- it remains frozen.

Unlike a cell phone, you can't remove the battery- it remains frozen.

You just need to hold the power button til the nook's screen goes blank.

let it sit for 30 seconds and press it again- it will start up just fine :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Re: Is B&N Going to do anything about these defective Nooks?

[ Edited ]

Lennington_Carrowell wrote:

Anyone else interested in a class action lawsuit or trying to get B&N to do a total recall of this defective item?  Mine won't work.

:smileyvery-happy:  Why, yes.  The total recall because you have a problem nook is an especially nice touch!

New User
tedrick
0 Kudos

Rie: Nook Won't Wake/Frozen

Mine froze so I took it back to B&N. Customer service replaced the battery. That night it froze again. I wrote customer service and they gave me instructions on how to remove the back cover, use a Phillip's head screw driver and remove the battery. Then connect the nook to the wall AC outlet, press and hold the power button until the nook screen "flashes" and has powered on. Once powered on, put battery back in nook and charge it.

They really should recall all Nook's purchased when first introduced. I'm ready for a Sony or Kimball.

New User
dereklicious
0 Kudos

i really hate the nook now. it lags A LOT and likes to freeze A LOT. It has many problems. For example, i added gift card money onto my account in this account, but when i register the nook with the account and try to buy book,s it always say that i need to register a credit card even though i have about $100 of giftcard credit on my accoiunt. I HATE THE NOOK!!!

New User
dereklicious
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

You need a default credit card associated with your nook account regardless of whether you ever plan on using it to purchase books.  The credit card is what creates the DRM encryption that allows the nook to know that you have the right to read the book.  This is a feature, not a bug, and is stated in the user manual.  

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@dereklicious,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Gift Cards/eGift Cards/Online Gift Certificates must be saved to your account before you can redeem them to purchase eBooks, single issue eMagazines, or single issue eNewspapers. Once saved, they will be automatically applied to your eBook purchases.

Any available gift card balance will be redeemed first. Your default credit card will be charged for the remaining balance, if any. A default credit card is still required for eBook purchases, even if the funds on your Gift Cards and/or Online Gift Certificates cover the total amount purchased.

To access your protected purchases, you must have an authorized credit card on record with Barnes & Noble.com. It does not necessarily have to be the credit card you used to purchase your eBook(s).

Try these steps, one at a time to get your NOOK fully functioning again:

1.  Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds and then release.  Then press it again for about 4 seconds to power up your NOOK. 

2.  The battery on your NOOK may be completely drained. Connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.* 

*In some cases, re-charging may require the following steps below:

-Unplug the NOOK.

-Remove the battery (if you don't know how, I have attached a video page on how to remove the battery): 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/NOOK/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=30195#vid3

Once the battery is removed, connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter.  The NOOK should begin to go through its booting process.  Once booted, replace the battery (don't turn the NOOK off or unplug) and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.

Once your NOOK is fully functioning, please verify you have the latest update by going to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.3.0.

If you don't have the latest update you can download it here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
dereklicious
0 Kudos

thank you very much it worked!!! now i dont think i hate the nook that much anymore. but it still lags.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@dereklicious,

When you state "...it still lags..." can you elaborate or be more specific...?

Also, did you confirm that you have the latest software update v1.3...?

Please see download link (below):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
DebeMD
0 Kudos

Same problem, really I´m worry about this because I bought it 3 weeks ago, I´m at page 60 of my first ebook and I got two  freeze...and always happen when you want to read!.

I want to know if B&N is working around this issue

Regards

Marcelo

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 438 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: