Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

Nook as a Magna Reading device?

[ Edited ]

I have heard that Nook supports Manga when its converted from Images to Epubs, I saw this but am still worried that it may make some smaller bubbles of text to small. Does anyone else use this device for manga? If so how is it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/4194686706/in/set-72157622898319997/

That looks fine but what about smaller texts like Love Hina for example...?

I am gonna bring a micro sd with some files on them, will they read from root so I can view them in store on the store model...?

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

Re: Nook as a Magna Reading device?

I've not read Manga on the Nook (though it would be interesting to do so with my kids), so I can't address this. I know others have, so at least some Mangas work well with it.

As for trying out files at B&N, I doubt you'll be able to do this. The SD slot on the Nook isn't exposed. You have to remove the back cover to access it. Somehow I doubt they'll let you do that with the demo in the store, but you certainly could try.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Frequent Contributor
nekowafer
0 Kudos

I currently have some american comics on my Nook. If you're looking at the entire page, the text is pretty small. Then again, american comics are larger than manga. But, I've heard there is another option to make it easier to read.

If you have an image editing program, you can download the manga and turn each page on its side. This way, when you convert the file with Calibre, it will be split so that it will fit on the Nook. Then you will just have to turn the Nook on its side, and the images will all be larger.

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So the nook can zoom? In Epub format or only PDF? I guess thy look ok...I do have very good up close eyes if that matters...People usually ask me to read small type on certain things(Like ads inside of ads..)

So nekowafer what your saying is that even American comic can be read? If thats so...Manga is much smaller...

Contributor
svedwards
0 Kudos

Well I have dabbled in this a little bit, when I found out you could read manga on it I was ecstatic since I happen to be an anime freak but anyway I have not found a way to make the text bigger which is a problem because reading the text as is will be more then a bit straining on the eyes but its still pretty cool.

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

Yeah I figured that out, the sony 600 does but I heard the screen is bad...glare and low contrast...Cant find the perfect device it seems...Been looking and researching for days now.

Anyone have a solution? I know Love Hina will be unreadable...which saddens me.

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

Like this:

This is my worst case, nook+Epub file converted with calibre: http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9840/lovez.jpg

No way...needs zoom.

Contributor
svedwards
0 Kudos

Well I hate to tell you this but that is basically what it will look like but with more defined details, the image and words will look sharper(@ least mine do) but still be that undesired size. Sorry I dont have any solutions for you or myself @ this time but if you find one let me know. Oh and there is no glare or any of the other things you mentioned that would be an issue the words are just really small.

Frequent Contributor
Animebook
0 Kudos

So its a little more readable? I have been told by some people that they read that on there 5 inch ones which I find kinda strange....I can kinda read that image, just hard :-/....

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 315 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: