Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
spector1
0 Kudos

Nook battery "discharging" notice

On my New Nook ST's battery page in settings, the page says that the battery is "discharging". Does this simply mean that the battery is being used because I dont recall seeing that notice there under the battery indicator before. Its kind of odd because for all of yesterday, the battery dropped only 1% and today it has dropped 7% already. Im not sure if this has anything to do with the discharging?
Contributor
Raptor9458
0 Kudos

Re: Nook battery "discharging" notice

The "discharging" status means that it's running off of the internal battery, nothing more.  If you plug in, it will change to "charging"

Keep in mind that with the WiFi radio switched on, the battery will discharge faster.  Even if you're not actively using the connection, it's still constantly looking for a connection.  Mine will actually try to connect to the in-store network, if I simply drive past a B&N.

I love my N2E!
New User
rare_book_chick
0 Kudos

I'm not sure that 'discharging' means that it is running off the battery.  This morning my battery was at 93%. I didn't use my Nook all day but once I did start reading I got a notification that the battery was at 20%.  In the 2 minutes it took me to to plug it in, it had gone down to 18%.  How is it possible that the battery went down that much while it was asleep and with the WiFi turned off?

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

rare_book_chick wrote:

I'm not sure that 'discharging' means that it is running off the battery.  This morning my battery was at 93%. I didn't use my Nook all day but once I did start reading I got a notification that the battery was at 20%.  In the 2 minutes it took me to to plug it in, it had gone down to 18%.  How is it possible that the battery went down that much while it was asleep and with the WiFi turned off?

I do not know where you were, but if you were at the "edge" of reachability of a WiFi site, more power will be used in trying to converse/connect with that site than if you were next to the WiFi device.  WiFi devices manage their radio power levels in order to reduce interference and power draw.  And if you were completely out of range, a good deal more power would be used as it tried to connect to something...anything...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 727 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: