Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
WearCleanDraws
0 Kudos

Nook broke 1 month after warranty expired. CS says: too bad.

[ Edited ]

I have the classic Nook.  I've pampered it, and it has always stated on my bedside table.  Never dropped it or banged it on ANTthing.  I've used it very lightly.  I've read maybe 10 books on it.

A few days, ago (almost exactly 1 month after my warranty expired) I noticed that my Nook had developed the infamous crack under the right-hand page-turn button.  Before calling customer service, I jumped onto the forums and read all of the glowing reviews regarding people's experience with CS resolving these issues for them.  Even for those with expired warranties, they were issued a replacement Nook, because the crack was from a known defect in the earlier Nooks.

For me, however, this was not the case.  I called at night, and was told by the rep. to call back the next day during business hours, and they'd issue me a replacement, even though my warranty had just expired, since it was a known problem.  No problem, I was told.  Well, when I called back the next day (today) they had no record of this conversation, even though I provided them with a call reference number that had been provided me.

On top of that, I was told point blank that an expired warranty = out of luck. Period. End of story.

I shouldn't be surprised, I guess.  A warranty is a warranty.  I guess I just wanted everyone to know that they didn't go out of their way at all to help me, and gave me no option to replace or even fix my Nook.  I loved my Nook, but there's no way I'm buying a new one if this is what passes for customer service at B&N. 

I don't particularly care for the Kindle, since it's tied to Amazon, but that seems to be where I'm headed, as they don't seem to have issues with the dang case cracking, and I'm less than enthused about B&N's response to my problem.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Nook broke 1 month after warranty expired. CS says: too bad.

@ColdLampin

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Sorry to hear about your problem.  I appreciate the reasonable tone of your post, too.

Unfortunately, as you say, the warranty is the warranty.  I'm here every day, and don't recall a case of anyone receiving a replacement for an out-of-warranty Nook, unless they had purchased extended protection.  That doesn't mean that it's never happened, but if it has, it's been unusual.

Most people -- including me -- seem to have found that the crack is mainly cosmetic, and rarely interferes with the operation of your Nook.  Moreover, a skin from DecalGirl will both protect it and obscure it.  You might go to decalgirl.com and look at all the choices available:  it would be hard not to find anything attractive and appealing.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

ColdLampin wrote:

I don't particularly care for the Kindle, since it's tied to Amazon, but that seems to be where I'm headed, as they don't seem to have issues with the dang case cracking, and I'm less than enthused about B&N's response to my problem.

There have been some reports of the same issue with the Kindle, though it doesn't seem to be nearly as frequent as on the nook.

Reader
WearCleanDraws
0 Kudos

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

One of the big issues on the Kindle board since the Kindle 3 came out is that the letters rub off on the Graphite Kindle. I've read posts about cracks appearing in the Kindle frames also.

And freezes and 'can't turn it on' and 'books don't download' and 'books aren't available' and 'there is no back light' and so forth and so.....

An other big complaint is, surprise!, 'ebooks cost too much!'

And get this---'my warranty just ended and my Kindle just broke'.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Your biggest problem would be that you can't read your Nookbooks on a Kindle so don't do anything rash.

My advise is to live with your cracked button. A skin is a logical solution.

Also learning how to do the thumb swipe on the touch screen is a must. There is a video on YouTube. Swiping with a light touch is essential

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4

Like ABthree, I haven't seen anyone get their NOOKs replaced after their warranty expired unless they bought the extended warranty.  While I understand that an expired warranty gives B&N the right to decline to replace a unit that has a cracked button, I believe this is something that should be covered regardless because it has long been a known manufacturing defect.

I'm sorry you're going through this.  I now it probably won't make you feel any better, but the damage is cosmetic and shouldn't affect your NOOK's operation.

Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

As I have posted before, my Nook is 5 weeks old and B&N refuse to rectify something which is definitely a manufacturing defect.  The card gate is defective and falls off constantly.  I was told by 2 people in customer service, on 2 calls that I should have purchased the extended warrantee.  I blew up at that point.  I did not holler at the csr's but let them know that I would take further action.  The unit is well under warrantee and I DO NOT need to purchase extended warrantees for anything at this point.

They disagreed with me.  I am tempted to sell this thing to someone else who has the patience and money to deal with it.  The thing should have worked from the beginning.

I'm sorry, but I'm still heated about this, days later!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

HarryO53 wrote:

As I have posted before, my Nook is 5 weeks old and B&N refuse to rectify something which is definitely a manufacturing defect.  The card gate is defective and falls off constantly.  I was told by 2 people in customer service, on 2 calls that I should have purchased the extended warrantee.  I blew up at that point.  I did not holler at the csr's but let them know that I would take further action.  The unit is well under warrantee and I DO NOT need to purchase extended warrantees for anything at this point.

They disagreed with me.  I am tempted to sell this thing to someone else who has the patience and money to deal with it.  The thing should have worked from the beginning.

I don't know what a card gate is, but have you tried taking it to a Store?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ColdLampin wrote:

Go over to the Kindle forums and search for "crack", there are definitely reports of cracked cases on the Kindle.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

HarryO53--Aren't you the one who keeps fiddling with his "uSD" card? Maybe that's why your "card gate is defective and falls off constantly". You've been messing with it too much. Put a piece of tape on it for goodness sakes.

You might owe a couple of people at Tech Support an apology.

Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

Yes I am.  I am not constantly 'fiddling' with the card.  I haven't touched it  unless I've had to.  As it turns out, that has been about 3 times within the past 20 days.  Too many!

Yesterday, the Nook refused to power up at all.  I attempted to plug the charger alone into a wall socket to see if it responded...no.  I plugged the unit into the computer, no response.  At that point I removed the battery for about 5 minutes, replaced it, and the unit came back up.

I've been working with electronics and computers since the 1970's in just about every aspect.  I've done hardware, software, programming, troubleshooting on minis, mainframes, micros...and associated hardware.  This seems to be a definite hardware issue as far as I can see.

I have not had a chance to get to a store yet, but will, tomorrow as suggested by one of the csr's.  I'll see what happens then.

I had no intention of starting on a bad foot with B&N and this device, but I have been sort of channeled that way.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Wait, you have a Nook Classic? Do you mean the a "card gate" inside the nook behind the back cover?

Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

I do, yes.  If a device is not designed with usage in mind, then the design is improper.  That is another opinion I have based upon experience and in reply to another message in this thread.

The gate seems to be pretty flimsy to accommodate even occasional use.

I don't know if my problem can be rectified aside from the unit being replaced, or at least repaired.  My point is that with a unit well within warrantee....I should not have been told that I should have bought optional coverage.

If a device is meant to be used, it should be designed to be used.  The gate falling off at every change of card should not happen.

As I've posted before, I guess I'm used to well designed and manufactured devices and excellent customer service and support.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

It's not likely built for 'overuse'. I'm sorry, I can't believe anyone would normally have to use that little door so much. I've never even opened the back on my Nook.

I have never heard of anyone on this board having to replace a Nook for that reason. Maybe someone else who has been on here longer would know.'

Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

Understandable that it's not meant for 'overuse'.   The thing is, the gate fell off the first time I went to insert a memory card.  The subsequent opening were done in relation to memory card problems.  Recognition and the like.

It isn't as if I decided to remove it and replace it every day.  Given the fact that even a one gig card holds a lot of content, it wouldn't be necessary to remove it frequently.

If the gate hadn't fell off immediately, I wouldn't have had to fiddle with it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

ColdLampin wrote:

Go over to the Kindle forums and search for "crack", there are definitely reports of cracked cases on the Kindle.

@ColdLampin

Aside from all the other good advice given above, if you are reading less than a book a month, it seems like you barely have need for an eReader at all.  The obvious question is, why would you want to spend money on a second one?  :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
MLBerry

I would just note that companies issue recall notices to repair or replace items that have manufacturing faults all the time.  And they do this regardless of warranty.

I suspect that in about 5 years we will all get notice of a class action suit agains B&N for the cracked bezel.  Of course the only ones to get any money out of this sort of thing are the lawyers who are awarded attorney fees.  The rest of us get a quarter or 3 free e-books.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

HarryO53 wrote:

You have to make sure that you slide it till it locks completely in place. 

New User
sb38
0 Kudos

Nook Custimer Service - the worst I have ever experienced

I bought a Nook at Walmart and was not told of the 15 day return policy - I returned my Nook within 28 days to upgrade/change for a colour version.  The black and white I find a little dark and I have MS which affects my eyesight however, I was told to basically go away we dont care.  Honestly I hope never to have to speak to a rep again - the one was so nasty he said the warranty covers a year - for you madam thats 365 days - errmmm doi I know what a year is - I also know 15 day return policy totally sucks.

My advice - stay well clear from the so called customer service reps - I believe they are training in zoo's.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Custimer Service - the worst I have ever experienced

sb38 wrote:

I bought a Nook at Walmart and was not told of the 15 day return policy - I returned my Nook within 28 days to upgrade/change for a colour version.  The black and white I find a little dark and I have MS which affects my eyesight however, I was told to basically go away we dont care.  Honestly I hope never to have to speak to a rep again - the one was so nasty he said the warranty covers a year - for you madam thats 365 days - errmmm doi I know what a year is - I also know 15 day return policy totally sucks.

My advice - stay well clear from the so called customer service reps - I believe they are training in zoo's.

Are you talking about Walmart or B&N CS? You bought your device at Walmart, so why would B&N take it as a return?

LisaB

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 251 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: