Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Ajikai
0 Kudos

Nook can't display Vietnamese characters.

Since Vietnamese alphabet is very similar to English except some diacritics on the letters, I believe implementing Vietnamese on Nook won't be too complicated. But when I opened a Vietnamese book in epub format on Nook, Nook displayed lots of question marks on the screen. The same thing happened when I opened the book in Adobe Digital Editions. I am not sure whether the book was badly converted. 

I downloaded that Vietnamese book (Thoi Xa Vang) from the site below.

http://ebook.vietnamwebsite.net/read.php?315

It was originally in PRC format. So I used the calibre ebook program to convert it to EPUB format. The interesting thing is that Calibre displays the original ebook correctly with all the Vietnamese letters. When I used Calibre to convert the ebook from PRC to RTF format, I could read the RTF version in Microsoft Word with Times New Roman font too. So I know that the original ebook is in Unicode encoding.

Can you try to download and convert the Vietnamese ebook above? I think Nook is lacking Unicode support or missing a Unicode font. I don't hope for complete Unicode support including CJK characters, but I wish Nook could support all Latin-based characters including Vietnamese. I also wish I could install a TrueType font into Nook and change the ebook font. 

Correspondent
EricTrickster
0 Kudos

Re: Nook can't display Vietnamese characters.

Similar, but not exact. The Nook supports Western European languages.  From the B&N FAQ (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/):

Q. Which languages are supported on nook? Your nook supports eBooks written in most Western European Languages, including French, German, Italian, and Spanish. It does not support characters from non-western alphabets. It also displays PDF documents in different languages and different character sets as long as the font is embedded in the file.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one. ~Chinese Saying
Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

My understanding of the ePub format is that it can have fonts embedded in it as well, but that most likely did not happen when you converted the book. Presumably if you were able to embed a font that includes the Vietnamese unicode range, it would display OK on the nook (but we won't be sure until someone tries it). 

You might want to try Sigil - it's a more complex program that allows you to edit the ePub files, you'll need to have some understanding of CSS (cascading style sheets) and XHTML, and I suppose you'll need a "downloadable" Vietnamese font. You'll have to deal with a bug in Sigil. And after you're all done, it might not work. 

New User
Ajikai
0 Kudos

I think Nook displays the same cryptic output as Adobe Digital Editions because Nook uses Adobe's ebook technology. Anyway, I extracted stylesheet.css from the EPUB file with 7-zip and opened the stylesheet.css in WordPad. I inserted the following lines into the stylesheet.

@font-face {

font-family: "Microsoft Sans Serif";

src: url(http://nrotc.wisc.edu/Templates/fonts/micross.ttf);

}

But I didn't have success in displaying Vietnamese characters. Maybe I should embed the font inside EPUB. I'll keep on trying.

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

Yes, for that to work the nook would have to have web access, which of course it doesn't. Including the font file in the ePub is the way to go. 

I'm very interested in whether this works, please post again if you give it another try.

New User
Ajikai

I finally succeeded in reading a Vietnamese novel on Nook. In short, I embedded Unicode fonts in the EPUB file and edited content.opf and stylesheet.css inside the EPUB ebook. Here's how I did it step-by-step:

1) I used Calibre to convert the original ebook in PRC format to EPUB format.

2) Using 7-zip, add Unicode fonts into the EPUB file. The following Unicode fonts support the Vietnamese language:  MyriadPro-Bold.otf, MyriadPro-It.otf, MyriadPro-Regular.otf. I believe these fonts come with Adobe Reader.

3) Using 7-zip, Extract content.opf and stylesheet.css from the EPUB file.

4) Open content.opf in WordPad and insert the following lines into the manifest section. Save and close WordPad:

<item href="MyriadPro-Bold.otf" id="epub.embedded.font" media-type="font/opentype"/>

<item href="MyriadPro-It.otf" id="epub.embedded.font" media-type="font/opentype"/>

<item href="MyriadPro-Regular.otf" id="epub.embedded.font" media-type="font/opentype"/>

5) Open stylesheet.css in WordPad and append the following contents. Save and Close WordPad:

@font-face {

font-family: "Myriad Pro";

font-weight: normal;

font-style: normal;

src: url(MyriadPro-Regular.otf);

}

@font-face {

font-style: italic;

src: url(MyriadPro-It.otf);

}

@font-face {

font-weight: bold;

src: url(MyriadPro-Bold.otf);

}

em, i {

font-family: "Myriad Pro", sans-serif;

}

strong, b {

}

body {

}

6) Using 7-zip, put content.opf and stylesheet.css back into the EPUB file.

7) Sideload the ebook to Nook and enjoy the book with embedded Unicode fonts.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Wow, that's what I call perseverance!  Congrats on making the thing do what you want.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
New User
Ajikai
0 Kudos

Well, I like to make things work on my own. I was losing my faith in Nook, but now that I've found more use of Nook, I'll use Nook more affectionately.

I forgot to give credit to the blog that helped me embed fonts in my ebook.

how-to-embed-fonts-in-epub-files

One issue to mention about embedding fonts is that some fonts have license that doesn't allow redistribution. I don't know what the license term is with Myriad Pro. I wish Nook could include this font in the next firmware release together with Minion Pro. So I recommend free fonts such as DejaVu or Liberation fonts.

Now that I made Nook work with Vietnamese, I want to play with ebooks in other languages, such as Russian or Korean. I'll probably go to Project Gutenburg and download some foreign classic ebooks.

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

Very cool, thanks for that, and thanks for the link.

New User
kimnguyen
0 Kudos

Hello Ajikai!!!

I just purchased a nook color and have the same problem that u had before( I opened a Vietnamese book in epub format on Nook, Nook displayed lots of question marks on the screen) I try to follow the steps that u show and im stuck at step # 2 , I download 7zip but dont know how to add Unicode fonts into the EPUB file, and Using 7-zip, Extract content.opf and stylesheet.css from the EPUB file. Would u please  show me one more time step by step so i can use my nook to read viet epub. My email is vietusa2003@yahoo.com Thanks for your time.

Reader
bouncingstar
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks to Ajikai, I was able to read VNese fonts in my nook.!

kimnguyen,

you can easily add the unicode fonts into the epub using 7z. First open the epub using 7z; 7z will list all the files that are archived in this epub. Next, simply drag and drop the three .otf font files into the 7z window. Remember, these .otf files should reside in the same location as the content.opf file.

Then, follow the rest of Ajikai's instructions. You don't have to edit the mentioned files using wordpad. You can use the edit function of 7z to do that. It's simpler that way.

Hope this helps.

PS: I recommend those who have the need to read unicode books often to NOT buy the nook. I made a mistake of getting a nook and learned it the hard way. I read that the Kindle opens ebooks with Vietnamese fonts just fine. It's a shame that the Nook can't do the same. I may want to try the Kindle in the future if I am too tired of having to do this to every single ebook. :smileysad:

New User
kimnguyen
0 Kudos

Hi Bouncingstar!

IThank you for your time to reply my post. I gave up on Nook so i sold it already. I just got the kindle and have to say LOVE LOVE LOVE it. The Kindle opens ebooks with Vietnamese fonts just fine. Happy holidays to you and your family.

New User
sapynguyen
0 Kudos

Hi my friends,

My NOOK supports Unicode when after I copied some Unicode fonts into it. I used Calibre to convert HTML files into ePub, the format NOOK supports. You can convert DOC to HTML (with filter) before import into Calibre to convert to ePub format. Calibre is FREE.

Please do as following.

1. connect your NOOK to your computer via USB port. My NOOK show-up (E:smileyhappy: media.

2. create a folder in the internal sdcard. Name that folder myfonts. So, it would be: 

/media/myfonts.

My windows showed E:\myfonts

3. copy 4 ttf files from your Windows into that folder:

times.ttf

timesi.ttf

timesbd.ttf

timesbi.ttf

These are True Type Fonts of Time New Roman, owned by Microsoft. You can find these in your Windows, under c:\windows\fonts folder. You also can use Arial, Palatino, Tahoma, Venada to read Vietnamese.

4. Import HTML into Calibre. Get a picture for the cover and fix the Title and Author.

5. Click Convert, then click Look & Feel. Add follow lines into the Extra CSS box:

@font-face {
font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
src: url('res:///media/myfonts/times.ttf');
}

@font-face {
src: url('res:///media/myfonts/timesi.ttf');
}

@font-face {
src: url('res:///media/myfonts/timesbd.ttf');
}

@font-face {
src: url('res:///media/myfonts/timesbi.ttf');
}

em, i {
}

strong, b {
}

body {
}

6. Click OK and wait for the converting process to complete.

7. Copy the xxxxx.epub to your NOOK

8. Disconnect the NOOK from your computer (carefully eject from the USB port) and enjoy reading.

From now on, your NOOK is having the Times New Roman true type font in it. You only need to convert HTML to ePub and good to go.

Happy Holidays!

sapynguyen

(NOOK lover)

New User
huymn
0 Kudos

Not work - can not read Vietnamese. Need help. Thanks

New User
sapynguyen
0 Kudos

Please give details. What did you do?

cheers,

sapy

New User
sapynguyen
0 Kudos

Hi huymn,

Let me explain one more time. Nook will not know MS stuffs. In Windows, unicode fonts are "Times New Roman", Arial,... But in the other OS, Unicode fonts named different, like Times, Helvetica,... or serif and sans-serif,... Nook has it own font name.

Here, we use MS True Type Font, which is readable to all OS (include Nook), such as

times.ttf (normal)

timesbd.ttf (bold)

timesi.ttf (italic)

timesbi.ttf (bold-italic)

You can find these files in fold c:\windows\fonts, or you can download from Microsoft site.

Copy those fonts into Nook, then you always have Unicode fonts in your Nook. Nook know how to encode UTF-8, so Nook will read Vietnamese fine.

To get into the Nook's inside card, you need to connect your Nook to your computer using provided cable via USB port. Read my previous post for more detail. If you use Cabire to convert HTML to epub then just enter some setting in the extra CSS box (indicated in the previous post). You can use other software to create epub file, but need to modify the stylesheet.css in the epub. You can put Unicode fonts on your external SDCARD, too.

In that case, the url should be

src: url('res:///sdcard/myfonts/times.ttf');

instead of:

src: url('res:///media/myfonts/times.ttf');

Nice day,

sapy

New User
phanquochuy
0 Kudos

[SOLVED] Use my Calibre Plugin to modify your EPUB file !

I wrote a Plug-in for Calibre that change the fonts used inside EPUB files. It works 100% with both Nook , and Nook Touch STR. Check it out in my personal pag. Happy Nooking !!

http://phanquochuy.me/?p=114

New User
tctu
0 Kudos

Could you explain in more details how "Using 7-zip, add Unicode fonts into the EPUB file" and "Extract content.opf and stylesheet.css"?  I have 7-zip but was not sure how to follow these steps.  Thanks?

New User
skoobydoo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the Nook Simple Touch, firmware 1.1.0.  I got into the same problem as most of you of not realizing that Nook can't support unicode fonts to read Vietnamese (truyen chuong stuffs).  Did apply all the suggestions in the above posts and none of them worked.  But finally I solved the problem.  The general ideas in the above posts worked but the devil is in the detail.  I found this particular thread for the Sony reader:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153778

(look for jackie_w post #11).  He gave an downloadable example of embedded fonts to read Vietnamese that solved my problem.  He used GenBasR fonts but I've tried with Times New Roman. Here are a few details to keep in mind:

1.  Use Calibre 0.8.33.  You can edit epub directly without 7-zip (right click on an epub book, in Calibre library, and choose 'tweak epub', use notepad to edit .css and .opf files, remember to rebuild epub once you're done editing)

2. Use his .css file (download is epub example and use Calibre to copy his .css).  Change the font names to your own [ex. src: url(Times-Regular.ttf) etc.].  Remeber in copy/embed the font files (four types: regular, bold, italic, bolditalic) to the directory that contains the .opf file!

3.  Test your epub out with Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) to see if the mods work before load into Nook.  Calibre has unicode font support so it always displays the fonts correctly.

4.  When read in Nook, select "publisher defaults" in "Aa" settings.

I wish B&N allow me to paste a file so you can see the mods that I made.  Anyway, try jackie_w's method out and see if that would work for your epub.  Good luck!

Contributor
livramax
0 Kudos

Re: Nook ST can't display Vietnamese characters.

I tried the suggested solutions -- both the manual process described by Ajikai and the Calibre automated conversion with plug-in by phanquochuy -- without success!!!  My Nook Simple Touch (FW v1.1.0) still displays characters such as "u+" or "e^" as a boxed questionmark symbol.

I would appreciate if someone would be willing take a look at my resulting epub and tell me what's wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 696 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: