Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Nook does not charge

Hi,

I am currently out of the US, and I got my nook with me. Before getting off the plane, I switched it off and keep it in my bag. It lay there for around a week, and now when I try to switch it on, it does not turn on. I thought that the battery must have been discharged, so I connected it to a wall outlet to charge. It's been a few hours now, and there's no yellow led light or anything. It still does not start up. I am still out of the country, and don't know if I can call BN support to help out on this.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Nook does not charge

[ Edited ]

First, plug it in for at least half an hour.  If the battery is very low, it will not even turn on the charge light for a while.  You already did that.  But double check that the outlet works, and is not switched. (try a lamp in that outlet).

If that does not work:
Remove back (little tab by power cord)
Remove battery
Plug into wall outlet with battery still OUT
Nook reboots. Wait..... don't unplug, don't put in battery.

After reboot, reinsert battery with nook still plugged in.
Charge nook completely.

The above, if done in EXACTLY that sequence will reboot any operational nook.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

One additional note: if the battery was discharged to begin with, it's possible that in the intervening week it has self-discharged to the point that a safety circuit in the battery has 'commited suicide' because recharging the battery from such a low state could cause an explosion.

It that's the case, you'll need a new battery.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

One additional note: if the battery was discharged to begin with, it's possible that in the intervening week it has self-discharged to the point that a safety circuit in the battery has 'commited suicide' because recharging the battery from such a low state could cause an explosion.

I've never hear that theory before.

There is always a protection circuit inside of a Li-Ion battery but low-discharge suicide is not one of them:

Inside a Li-Ion pack there is always a safety circuit that consists of four main sections:

1. The controller IC that monitors each cell (or parallel cells) voltage and prevents the cells to overcharge or overdischarge controlling accordingly the cutoff switches. Also the voltage across the switches is monitors in order to prevent  over current.
2. The control switches that usually comprises FET structures that cutoff the charge or discharge depending on the control signals of the controller IC.
3. The temperature fuse that cutoff the current if the control switches experience abnormal heating. This fuse is not recoverable.
4. The thermistor (usually PTC) that measure the battery temperature inside the pack. It's terminals are connected to the charger so it can sense the temperature of the pack and control the charge current until the battery it's full charged.

However, I've never heard of a suicide circuit triggered by anything other than overheating (a simple fuse). And explosion is always due to overcharge, never under charge.

See Safety Requirements section of this article.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@icebike,

I'm not a battery expert, but I have heard that a LI-Ion battery that becomes to deeply discharged can not be safely charged and the charging circuit in the battery will prevent charging (suicide basically).

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Per Battery University:

Some lithium-ion batteries fail due to excessive low discharge. If discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, the internal safety circuit opens and the battery appears dead. A charge with the original charger is no longer possible. Some battery analyzers (Cadex) feature a boost function that reactivates the protection circuit of a failed battery and enables a recharge. However, if the cell voltage has fallen below 1.5V/cell and has remained in that state for a few months, a recharge should be avoided because of safety concerns. To prevent failure, never store the battery fully discharged. Apply some charge before storage, and then charge fully before use.

Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Hi icebike,

I tried with the nook plugged in for 6 hours...No charge....

Then, I removed the battery like you suggested and directly connected the nook to the wall outlet...But, my nook doesn't start up...Nothing....Only a blank white screen...

It cannot be the wall outlet as I connected it to the same point that I connect my laptop charger to.

I am in a country with 220V supply, and the wall charger says 110-240V, so voltage should not be a problem....

It was working perfectly fine in the US and on the plane too...It has been just around 10 days since I came here...And my nook had around 80% charge left when I switched it off before I left the plane...I don't think the battery can get discharged that completely within 10 days so as to render it useless...

I am really sad about the whole situation...I got the nook just before I left the US, so that I can read it when I am out of the country....But, the damn thing does not want to start up :-(

Any help would be highly appreciated...

Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Try plugging it into your computer.
Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Tried that...still a blank screen...:smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
jdbakermn
0 Kudos

1. Pull battery

2. Replace Battery

3. Without touching the power button, plug into wall charger.

4. Charge for 3-4 hours.

Note that the orange light seems to only go on when it is fast charging.  If the battery is extra-dead, it'll trickle charge for a while until the battery is in a state where it is safe to fast charge.  The light will come on at that point. 

If you plug into a wall and *then* press the power button, you'll end up disrupting the charging sequence and the device will discontinue charging while plugged in at that point. 

Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Hi jdbakermn,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried what you mentioned, but, it does not seem to help.

Mentalic

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Mentalic wrote:

Hi jdbakermn,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried what you mentioned, but, it does not seem to help.

Mentalic

If you remove battery completely, and THEN plug it in and wait (it takes a while, not 5 minutes, but more than one minute) does it power on?

If the nook is operational at all, it should boot up when using ONLY wall power, or ONLY USB power from your computer with the battery totally out.  

If not check for damaged USB cable pins, or damage to the nook's usb port.  The actual connections on the nook's USB port are on a very delicate center prong, which if broken, means the nook needs to be replaced.

Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Hi icebike,

I tried your suggestion...but it didn't work ...I checked out the USB ports, and they seem to be fine...I had a replacement USB cable...Tried it with that too...but nothing....

I finally called BN support and they tried a few things, but they were unable to bring my nook to life. They told me it could be a battery issue and they are shipping me a replacement battery.

Hopefully, this will work out fine...

I must say, talking to BN support has been one of my best customer service experiences...Spoke to a couple of reps...and both of them were pretty helpful...

Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Not to take away any credit from this board....this forum has been pretty helpful too with a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people around to answer my questions...

I am guessing BN is doing something good here...Hopefully, it will continue to do so in the future too....

Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Just an update.... I got my replacement battery yesterday, and I put it in the nook and left it to charge for more than 10 hours....There was no yellow light at the bottom during the whole process, and my nook still does not start up...Nothing happens when I press the power button...

I am really tired and frustrated trying to get to use my nook...

Anyone has any ideas?

Any help is highly appreciated...

Thanks

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ Mentalic,

Sounds like you've done everything you could except replace the nook.  That may be your next step.

Good luck.  You should not be "tired and frustrated" and, if you ask me, you've been that way long enough.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Mentalic,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

Then confirm that you have v1.4 update by going to Settings.  If you don't have the update, 

NOOK v1.4 software is now available via manual download at www.nook.com/update

with additional information and easy-to-follow directions. NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi will receive an automatic NOOK v1.4 update upon syncing over the next week.

This update offers complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi Access and a Go To Page feature (one of the most frequent enhancements requested by NOOK users).

If this issue continues and there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.

Otherwise, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

New User
budndeb
0 Kudos

Forget it my nook does same thing which is nothing Tried new batteries and every thing under the sun and still nothing. Even tested my charger on cell phone and it charged my phone so I wish they would quit sending me new batteries and new charger that's not the problem

Reader
acoba
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the same problem...the nook seems to be died.

The charge led did not light. I put off the battery and plug the ebook to the wal...nothing happens

I live in Spain so I cant take the book to the shop...

Has anyone fixed it?

Thanks.

New User
sassyjone12
0 Kudos

Check your charger port, my nook charger port is broken and i cannot charge it anymore. Also, does anyone know where to take it to get fixed? Or can it get fixed?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 277 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: