Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
estephania2182
0 Kudos

Nook drive not showing up on my home or work computer

When I plug my nook into the computer it says that the device driver was installed successfully, yet when I go to my computer it has a removable drive there but I can't access it. It doesn't say nook drive or anything like that. I'm assuming the problem is with my nook if it isn't showing me the drive on either computer but I just wanted to get some feedback here. Oh I am using Windows vista on both computers...and also wanted to point out that it will charge the nook while plugged into the computer, but just won't let me access the drive.

Thanks!

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Re: Nook drive not showing up on my home or work computer

Have you plugged in other usb devices to verify that the usb ports work? and not blocked at work? As some businesses block usb devices to protect people from downloading documents and such.

Have you tried the usb ports on the back of desktop? As sometimes the front ports are flaky and don't operate as expected.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
New User
estephania2182
0 Kudos

I have three usb ports on my laptop and all of them say the same thing. I also tried the two on the desktop computer at work and they keep saying the same thing. The hardware is successfully installed but the removable drive shows up as removable drive E and when I click on it it says to insert disk into removable disk.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Typically another drive letter will show up on vista.  If you have explorer open at the time you plug it in, you can even watch this happening.

But first reboot windows, because enough plugging and unplugging will confuse vista to the point it will just lose the drive all together.

Then before plugging in, go to control panel.

Look for Auto Play.  (not all versions of Vista had this), and see what it has for devices (near the bottom). Maybe its decided to Ignore it.

Then open explorer, and colapse the tree-view (left side) of the C:\ disk so you can see all the other disks at once.  

Watching that, plug in the nook.  You should see one of the removable drives names change or another one added.

Reader
MickeyJayyy
0 Kudos

Mine does the same thing but I'm using Windows 7. It tells me that the one of the USB devices has malfuntioned and Windows does not recognize it. It says to reconnect, and if that doesn't work I need to replace it. I've been having some computer issues, so maybe it's just my computer. However, it isn't recognized at all in my second USB port. Weird stuff going on. Where can I get updated drivers for the nook? Thanks!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

MickeyJayyy wrote:

Mine does the same thing but I'm using Windows 7. It tells me that the one of the USB devices has malfuntioned and Windows does not recognize it. It says to reconnect, and if that doesn't work I need to replace it. I've been having some computer issues, so maybe it's just my computer. However, it isn't recognized at all in my second USB port. Weird stuff going on. Where can I get updated drivers for the nook? Thanks!

I don't believe there are specific drivers for the Nook, it should just treat it as an external hard drive.  I don't have this problem with my Nook, but I have it all the time with my iPod Touch. 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@MickeyJayyy,

If someone is having trouble with their device being recognized, they should do the following to troubleshoot:

1. Reboot PC, and reboot nook (power down, then back up).

2. When both are finished booting, plug in nook.

You can also try plugging the nook into different USB ports.  Specifically, sometimes the ports in the back are better than the ones in the front because they are “powered.”  Also, you can see if you are connecting via a USB hub and if so, take the USB hub out of the equation.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 780 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: