Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
b00kl0ver
0 Kudos

Nook e-reader with Touch Screen -Freezing issue

I had a kindle and as my sister reads even more than me I decided to get her the newest which would be the nook with touchscreen

After it arrived we charged it as requested for 2-3 hours and had no issues

But already couple of days later it started freezing.

While doing nothing, navigating through menues, reading the screen grays out a bit -sometime more sometimes less- and the nook is not responding to any command neither touchscreen or tab

Than only option is to make soft reset - hold 20 sec  than press for 2 seconds.

After she told me I checked it and within 1 hour simply reading or switching menus I had to reset it up to 7-8 times.

It is not always that bad sometimes hours pass before the issue comes up.

The software version is 1.0.0 and I will try updating it today to 1.0.1.

The wify is off and the battery is 97% full.

I really hope there is a solution since returning it to the US will be hard.

New User
BN2908
0 Kudos

Re: Nook e-reader with Touch Screen -Freezing issue

It sounds like your Nook needs a software update! Occasionally, and especially when the devices are very new, they discover something about them that can be improved. The combination of whatever you are doing/reading is making your Nook act up, and I bet that the 1.01 update will remedy that. Here's how to do it: (first, make sure your nook is unfrozen long enough to do this)

Go to BN.com and drag your mouse over to the word "Nook". A larger menu will appear that offers the types of Nooks they sell as well as some suubcategories within the Nook style. Click up "Support" underneath "Nook". If you scroll all the way down this page, there will be a link for software updates. Download the 1.01 update to your computer.

Next, plug your Nook into the computer and wait for your computer to recognize it. Open up the Nook drive, but do not open any subfolders for this procedure. Drag and drop or copy/paste the update into the blank space of the Nook window. (Drop it anywhere, just not within one of the folders). The file will copy onto your Nook.

Eject the Nook and unplug it from the computer. Here's the hardest part: wait 1-3 minutes for the update to take. In the meantime, if you try playing with your Nook it will probably be sluggish and since it's prone to freezing already, better to leave it alone. The nook will power itself off, install the update, then restart.

This should bring your Nook up to speed with some of the repairs made since its release. Freezing was a big one! These updates will come out every few months or so, so if you are having issues like that, check for a new update.

Good Luck!

Reader
b00kl0ver
0 Kudos

I was already in the process of making it when i wrote the it and now 20 hours later I have to say

No it did not help :smileysad:

I checked the steps from the pdf did them updated to 1.0.1 and the frezzing issue continued.

I am not sure I can explain it right but when it happens the screen gets a bit greyd out I am not sure how this would help to idetify the problem.

In most cases the issue happened when doing through the menues.

If any has any ideas please tell me because if this continues I will have to search for a way to returne it and wait again 1 month to get a replacment.

and let me tell you shipping it outside the the US and Canada sucks.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

What are you reading when this happens?  Does this happen on all books on the device?

I note that you said that returning it to the US would be a problem, so I'm (going out on a limb and) assuming that you are sideloading books to the device.  If it is only certian books, I would wonder if they are properly formatted.  Just having the proper file extension is not enough as there could be errors embedded in the file.

Reader
b00kl0ver
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Both it is PDF documents and Epub which were PDF before formating it with Calibre.

But issue is not only when reading books but also when I simply browse thourgh the menues (actually then it happens more often)

And no its not one text document.

Wish it would be something like that.

Still a good thought just not the case here

P.S. checked it out - loaded an old Manual I had in PDF and was clicking thorugh the pages when it froze up

Inspired Correspondent
spider731
0 Kudos

I had this issue a few times and only seems to happen after I sideload books with Calibre. However lately, immediately after I sideload a book(s), I restart the device before doing anything.This seems to have helped considerably. Just something to try.

Reader
b00kl0ver
0 Kudos

It may be connected but I doubt it since the issue began before I had any books at all on the Nook.

Maybe it happens more often but even when I deleted all the books from it it still had the same issue.

What ever it is they should fix it soon because this is not acceptable behaviour realy

It makes me wish I had bought an other E-reader for her.

ly2
New User
ly2
0 Kudos

I got a Nook Simple Touch for Christmas.  Screen froze while on vacation....real pain!

Went to BN store when I returned and walked out with a replacement.  Unforturnately it was NOT a new Nook but a "refurbished" Nook.  Now it is May and it is freezing again!!!   I plan to return #2 to the store and DEMAND a NEW Nook.  I love it, WHEN it works but this is beyond crazy.  Clearly they have a product flaw. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

ly2 wrote:

I got a Nook Simple Touch for Christmas.  Screen froze while on vacation....real pain!

Went to BN store when I returned and walked out with a replacement.  Unforturnately it was NOT a new Nook but a "refurbished" Nook.  Now it is May and it is freezing again!!!   I plan to return #2 to the store and DEMAND a NEW Nook.  I love it, WHEN it works but this is beyond crazy.  Clearly they have a product flaw. 

Have you tried running a Q-Tip all around the edges of the screen a few times?

The "touch screen" isn't a "touch" screen at all.  Rather, it is an IR screen - when you break the plane of the beams, it responds; you don't need to touch the screen at all.  

If there's even the smallest amount of debris in those edges (pet hair, dust, pollen, skin cells) the screen can become unresponsive.

A search of the forums will confirm that this solution works for many who report "unresponsive" touch screens.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Also make sure your NST is at least running firmware version 1.1.1.

That version solved the freezing screen problem of the earlier version.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 242 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: