Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
hgarrett
0 Kudos

Nook freezes

My Nook freezes.  How can I unfreeze it?

New User
Windfury
0 Kudos

Re: Nook freezes

I have the exact same problem...

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@hgarrett

@Windfury

Welcome!

See this post by Michael_V, the Board Administrator -- it should help:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Frozen-on-Wallpaper/m-p/554540#M19851

Good luck. :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
Windfury
0 Kudos

ABthree~ Appreciate the link, but it does not work? I got a "Forbidden" error message.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Windfury

Try this one:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Frozen-on-Wallpaper/m-p/554540#M19851

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

To unfreeze a "frozen nook"
Hold down power for 20 seconds (count 'em, 20)
Let up, then tap again.
Nook should reboot.

If that does not work:
Remove back (little tab by power cord)
Remove battery
Plug into wall outlet with battery still OUT
Nook reboots. Wait.....
After reboot, reinsert battery with nook still plugged in.
Charge nook completely.

New User
akfjbnas
0 Kudos

you are a life saver!

i was so frustrated it was frozen the FIRST DAY i got it.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

If its going to freeze its going to happen when its new.

In part because the battery charge level can't be believed right out of the box and is likely lower than what it says.

Also its hard for new nook owners to distinguish between frozen and simply out of battery on any e-ink display, which does not erase the image when its out of power.  Like ink on paper, images on e-ink stay there when the battery runs out.

When its new, people play with it and experiment and surf the store and the web and keep the touch screen on way longer than will normally happen when reading.

Add to that, dancing on the touch pad and buttons faster than the nook responds, improper plugging and unplugging, struggling with WIFI settings, and failure to charge fully.

Almost all frozen nook reports seen on these boards are from new users.  Luckily the learning curve is short, and they are soon reading away happily.

Reader 2
LJHarper
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

If its going to freeze its going to happen when its new.

In part because the battery charge level can't be believed right out of the box and is likely lower than what it says.

Also its hard for new nook owners to distinguish between frozen and simply out of battery on any e-ink display, which does not erase the image when its out of power.  Like ink on paper, images on e-ink stay there when the battery runs out.

When its new, people play with it and experiment and surf the store and the web and keep the touch screen on way longer than will normally happen when reading.

Add to that, dancing on the touch pad and buttons faster than the nook responds, improper plugging and unplugging, struggling with WIFI settings, and failure to charge fully.

Almost all frozen nook reports seen on these boards are from new users.  Luckily the learning curve is short, and they are soon reading away happily.

I've seen several people experiencing this issue. However, I've had my nook a little over a month, and I have experienced several freezes simply in the middle of reading. It is sporadic, maybe 2 or 3 times a week at least. I will be reading for a while, and when I click to turn the page it simply does nothing. I give it a couple minutes just to see if it's "thinking", but the page never turns. Then I will tap the Home button to turn on the touchscreen, but it will not come on either. The only option is to hold down the power button to reboot.

I have learned not to "overtax" the device by clicking a bunch of stuff too quickly - but this isn't the case here. This happens during a normal reading session with the touchscreen off. Nothing being pressed except the page forward button.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

LJHarper wrote:

I've seen several people experiencing this issue. However, I've had my nook a little over a month, and I have experienced several freezes simply in the middle of reading. It is sporadic, maybe 2 or 3 times a week at least. I will be reading for a while, and when I click to turn the page it simply does nothing. I give it a couple minutes just to see if it's "thinking", but the page never turns. Then I will tap the Home button to turn on the touchscreen, but it will not come on either. The only option is to hold down the power button to reboot.

Then yours is a non-typical nook, and you should probably call CS and get it replaced.

Two or three freezes a week is not normal.  I've not had a freeze while reading EVER, and I've had a nook since the first week of December.  (I've induced a freeze while re-plugging USB too fast).

Reader 2
LJHarper
0 Kudos

Thanks icebike, that is good to know actually. I was hoping this wasn't something I just had to live with. Nothing more frustrating that going to turn the page in the middle of a sentence and having to wait several minutes to reboot and get back to where I was.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

What icebike said. My wife and I have had NOOKs for almost four months now, and neither of us has ever experienced a 'freeze'.

We keep them charged up and we don't go click/tap crazy, and our NOOKs just keep chugging along.

If you're experiencing regular freezes that can't be attributed to power failure or overloading the poor thing with clicks and taps, and you've already tried a full reboot (hold power button for 20 seconds to shut it all the way down, then turn back on), it's time to call Customer Service. 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support.

Contributor
icephoenix
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll have to try it.  My NOOK froze when I first got it... now, it keeps freezing while I am adding books to the external drive.  It's driving me crazy!!!

New User
camomom
0 Kudos

I thought my nook has been freezing since I downloaded version 1.4. (Only froze once since I got it in February.)  Nothing happens when I hold the power button (screensaver stays on, it doesn't shut down.)  I've since realized it's not going into sleep mode & draining the battery super fast.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@camomom,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

Then go to Settings and confirm that you have v1.4 update.  If not, NOOK v1.4 software is now available via manual download at www.nook.com/update

with additional information and easy-to-follow directions. NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi will receive an automatic NOOK v1.4 update upon syncing over the next week.

This update offers complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi Access and a Go To Page feature (one of the most frequent enhancements requested by NOOK users).

If this issue continues and there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.

New User
camomom
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help.  I was able to get my nook up & running again.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@camomom,

You're welcome!

New User
Kuntur
0 Kudos

My 2 cents to the dicussion: my Nook Color freezed a couple of times, I think is due the house where I live, it's pretty cold inside, I found the screen with humidity, I tried putting the NookColor for a few minutes under the sun (with the back facing the sun) and it worked. I know this is not the kind of solution you (me) expect but after that the NookColor began working very smooth.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 212 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: