Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mgoslak
0 Kudos

Nook frozen on screensaver

Got this for Fathers Day.  Downloaded one 99 cent book to test it out.  Was reading the book, set it down and came back to it.  It is frozen on a screensaver of Walt Whitman.  I tried to hold in the power button for 20 seconds, then press it again.  Tried taking out the battery then holding in power button then plugging it in w/ battery out.  I've read the user manual and boards.  

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Nook frozen on screensaver

mgoslak wrote:

Got this for Fathers Day.  Downloaded one 99 cent book to test it out.  Was reading the book, set it down and came back to it.  It is frozen on a screensaver of Walt Whitman.  I tried to hold in the power button for 20 seconds, then press it again.  Tried taking out the battery then holding in power button then plugging it in w/ battery out.  I've read the user manual and boards.  

When was the last time you charged it?  If you plug it in, does the amber charging light come on?

Reader
txaggieKR
0 Kudos

Found this board about the frozen screensaver. I'm having the same issue as mgoslak!  I tried taking the battery out, plugging it in without the battery, holding down the power button... nothing works.  When I plug it in, the amber light does come on.  What does this mean?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

I've had mine since mid-February and for some reason it has frozen for the past two days.  

The first night I had put it down, planning on getting back to it, reading for a bit and then charging the battery as it was showing a bit low.  But when I picked it back up, I couldn't access it.  I tried holding the power button and that didn't work.  Thinking possibly the charge was lower than I thought, I plugged it in, but the power light didn't come on.  Left it plugged in for about an hour even though the light wasn't on, then tried the power button again and it powered up.  I then plugged it back in to charge and the light came on.

Last night, I know the charge was fine, but when I picked it back up after leaving it for about a half hour, the same thing happened again.  This time I was able to power it off and it came back up.

Not sure why it's happening, though.

Contributor
surfah
0 Kudos

Out of curiosity, have you updated to 1.4?

I've never had this problem before, but since the update...my battery completely depletes whenever the charge goes below 50% and my nook becomes "frozen" on the screensaver.

Some people have suggested that it's not the update, but offer no other explanation...especially since nothing has changed (nook settings nor reading habits) EXCEPT for the update.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

surfah wrote:

Out of curiosity, have you updated to 1.4?

I've never had this problem before, but since the update...my battery completely depletes whenever the charge goes below 50% and my nook becomes "frozen" on the screensaver.

Some people have suggested that it's not the update, but offer no other explanation...especially since nothing has changed (nook settings nor reading habits) EXCEPT for the update.

Not sure who you were aiming this at.  Between 14 February and the 1.4 update, my nook froze twice - one was definitely user error, overwhelming the nook with too many commands. 

I've now had 1.4 for a couple of weeks, but have had it freeze twice in the last two days.  The first night, the battery was showing low, the second night it was fully charged.  Like you said, no change in settings or reading habits.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

@Josienjoe,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

If this issue continues and there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.

Also, you can contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

New User
Electrohead
0 Kudos

i've had this problem for a few hours, and i was wondering: i took the battery out, and the screen stays on. will this effect the whole plugging into the wall and waiting 4 hours thing? also, i have the warranty, but whenever i called, it never went through. any suggestions?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Electrohead wrote:

i took the battery out, and the screen stays on.

The screen is not on.

See item #2 in this posting: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Didn-t-read-the-manual-A-list-of-thin...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 550 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: