Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
tiniree
0 Kudos

Nook getting stuck in ADE while "verifying documents"!

I hope this is the right place to post this.  My husband & I are going nuts over this. 

I have had my Nook for over a month now.  When I first got it, I downloaded ADE so I could "borrow" library books.  I happily downloaded several with no problems.

Last week several were "returned" and so I went online to check out some more.  This is where the problems began.  I check out the book, click download with Nook plugged into the computer.  The ADE black library screen comes up and then shows the book in the list with the downloads computer screen behind the ADE smaller black screen.  The computer tells me the download is finished.

I then go the "click and drag" the title over to the left side to my Nook and this is where the problem is:  As soon as I do this, a smaller box appears in the center of the ADE box telling me its "verifying document".  IT NEVER GOES PAST THIS POINT!!! It just stays there! 

I am able to download books from Kobo and other sites using the download method. 

I have attempted to contact Adobe.  But the person in India I am speaking to has no idea what I am talking about.  They keep insisting I downloaded a "free sample program".  Of course for $39 they will pass me over to tech support! 

I am hoping SOMEONE has had this problem and has been able to correct it??  My husband tried deleting the ADE program and then re-installing it.  Nothing we have tried has helped. 

Marie

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Nook getting stuck in ADE while "verifying documents"!

[ Edited ]

Are you trying to download in the evening? There have been reports that OverDrive seems to be getting swamped in the evenings, giving all sorts of error conditions. Trying again the next morning usually seems to work.

Just by the way, Adobe doesn't offer phone support for ADE, which is why you're not getting very far there. ADE is supported exclusively by online trouble tickets. Go to the "Adobe Digital Editions" home page, click the "Support Center" link on the right-hand side, then click "Submit a web case" on the right-hand side.

Since it's still working at Kobo, the problem is more likely at OverDrive. You might want to contact them by email at support@overdrive.com to see if they can help.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@tiniree,

Please let us know if your issue was resolved.

Frequent Contributor
tiniree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

:smileywink: Just a head's up!  My husband worked on the problem for about an hour last night.  He  figured out that the problem doesn't appear if:

1. You download the book from the library to ADE FIRST
  2. THEN when download is complete and title shows up on the ADE screen you,
  3. Plug your Nook into the USB port and you,
  4. CLICK & DRAG the title over to your Nook!

I was initially plugging my Nook into the USB first when I got on the library site.  But for some reason, waiting to plug it in until the download is completely on ADE works without the "verifying document" problem.  We have no idea why this makes a difference.  But I was able to download successfully 5 titles from my library over to my Nook.  All titles are in the ADE library correctly showing check out date and when its due.  :smileyvery-happy:

Marie 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 574 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: