Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
Mike358
0 Kudos

Nook has been freezing up

My nook recently became unresponsive, so I followed the instructions I read here - remove battery, wait, put back together, plug in and charge.  It worked that afternoon, and the following day.  

Then it happened again.  I thought it might have been from the cold; I had just carried it outside for somewhere around 10 minutes.  I didn't think it would have run out of charge, since I had charged it overnight and was just using it 10 minutes earlier.  So I let it rest overnight, hoping that it would warm up and start working the following day.  

But it didn't.  So I removed the battery again, waited, popped it back together and charged again.  When it comes to, the top screen says "Installing Software Update," "do not turn off," etc., and the bottom says "Restoring to Factory Fallback," black screen with white letters.  So I wait, let it do its thing overnight.  

The following morning (today), I wake up to find it in the exact same position.  The white bar beneath "Restoring to Factory Fallback" has not moved.  Also, the little orange "charging" light has gone off.  I've tried searching the discussions here, but I wasn't able to find anything similar.  

So, does anyone know what's going on here?  Is there a way to end this waiting game and return to my reading?  

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Re: Nook has been freezing up

Perhaps your battery can no longer hold a charge. My N1E battery is only good for about a day of reading now. Even when turned off it will maintain its charge for less than a week. If I wait too long to recharge it is a bit difficult to get it going again.
Reader 2
Mike358
0 Kudos

It looked like it had 3/4 charge before it died, so I'm not sure if that's the problem.  Even if it is, I'm fine with charging it every night, as long as I can use it.  

Contributor
SoozeSC
0 Kudos

Ihave been having similar problems, mosly the Nook 1st Ed running out of battery charge very quickly

. Does BN still sell the replacement battery for Nook 1st edition? if so, doyou have a product numbr? thanks! 

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

BN no longer sells N1E batteries. You can find some third party ones on Amazon.