Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Jerry_and_Harry
0 Kudos

Nook in Canada?

Barnes & Noble tell me that the Nook cannot be shipped to Canada. (Why, I ask, but that's another question...)

If I drive to the US and purchase a Nook, can I activate it in the store, then use it in Canada? Do I need a US address to activate it?

I'm not particularly interested in "daily" feeds, nor do I need to purchase and download directly to the unit. I'm quite happy to be able to purchase books on my computer and then load them on the reader via a USB cable.

Are there any issues in using the Nook in Canada? It should work fine, I imagine, except that I may not be able to use wireless or internet on it. However, if I connect to my wifi router at home, I should be able to surf the web? I would also think that I could buy content on the Nook this way and download directly to it, but I don't really know enought about how the Nook wifi is set up.

Thanks for your help!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Nook in Canada?

@Jerry_and_Harry,

Although we are not selling NOOK in Canada (or anywhere outside of the United States) at this time, if you are using NOOK in Canada you will be able to sync to your B&N eBooks library and access our eBook store via Wi-Fi (not 3G).

Having a Canadian billing address and CC would not preclude a customer from placing an eBook order.  When you create an account on BN.com you can input a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address and save them as your defaults.

If you are living in or visiting Canada you can shop our eBook store and download eBooks to your B&N eReader supported devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Mac and PC. This also includes the NOOK.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
Jerry_and_Harry
0 Kudos

Thanks, Michael, you answered my question!

You really should consider shipping outside of the US. The Kindle 2 ships internationally, and I think you would have a lot of sales if you opened up to Canada, among other countries.

Reader
SDunfield
0 Kudos

Hi there, I am new to the Nook (as of last weekend!) when I go one in the States.  I love it, because I have many many PDB ebooks as I have been reading on a Palm based unit for 10 years or so, and Nook will open them.  However, when I try to order new ebooks through the Nook or online, I get a message saying:

"International Billing Address:  You must have  a billing address in the United States, U.S. territories or Canada for B&N.com to process your order."

Well my address IS in Canada, so why can't I purchase books?  Can you tell me what I am missing?

Michael-V wrote:

Having a Canadian billing address and CC would not preclude a customer from placing an eBook order.  When you create an account on BN.com you can input a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address and save them as your defaults.

If you are living in or visiting Canada you can shop our eBook store and download eBooks to your B&N eReader supported devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Mac and PC. This also includes the NOOK.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

SDunfield wrote:

Well my address IS in Canada, so why can't I purchase books?  Can you tell me what I am missing?

I'd suggest you call B&N Customer Service. Their international number is 1-201-559-3882.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@SDunfield

Welcome!  I hope you enjoy your Nook as much as I do  :smileyhappy:

While you can buy books in Canada from the B&N online store, unfortunately not all books are available in Canada (haven't these publishers heard of NAFTA!?!?!?!).  You may be simply hitting some of the titles that don't go cross-border.

You might try "buying" a free title that you know is public domain or a B&N Classic to see whether this is the problem, or if you're really unable to buy any book at all. 

A call to Customer Service is definitely in order, but the more data you have, the more likely they'll be to be able to help you.

Good luck.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Reader
SDunfield
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice!  I will try customer service. So far every book I have tried to buy has failed to go through, even free ones.  I am loving the Nook otherwise!!:smileyhappy:  and am certainly able to get books from other sources.  It just seems some are priced better on B&N's site, even if they are in US Dollars. 

New User
Jaekw
0 Kudos

Okay, now I'm confused.  I live in Canada, but I bought a nook in NYC in April 2010 because I was told that I could use it in Canada.  However, even while I was still in the US, I found that I could not purchase any eBooks.  My orders were consistently refused.  I finally called the help line and was told that because my credit card had a Canadian address, I could NOT make eBook purchases.  By the time I learned this, I was in Texas.  I found a very nice lady in a Barnes & Noble near Galveston who accepted my returned nook and refunded my money.  Now are you saying that my nook should have been able to make eBook purchases and download them?

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Jaekw:

It's hard to say, since I don't know what the situation was at the time.

The current documentation for the NOOK makes no distinction between US and Canadian billing addresses. However, the documentation notes that "Some items are not available for purchase in Canada" where "some" is a fairly large percentage. It's quite possible that in order to buy US-only e-books, you have to both be in the US and have a US billing address, but I have no way of knowing that for a fact.

Inspired Contributor
altreco
0 Kudos

I was in Canada a couple of weeks ago.  Of course I could log in to bn.com, but I could never open my "mybn.com" page.  WiFi on my Nook would not work either.  I did however read several books while enjoying a local brews and Cuban agricultral imports! Also made several trips to Harveys and drank a couple of gallons of Timmy's best, one double-doulbe at a time.  Nice vacation all the way around!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Jaekw:

The current documentation for the NOOK makes no distinction between US and Canadian billing addresses. However, the documentation notes that "Some items are not available for purchase in Canada" where "some" is a fairly large percentage. It's quite possible that in order to buy US-only e-books, you have to both be in the US and have a US billing address, but I have no way of knowing that for a fact.

I think you are correct about the US billing address thing.  Determining where you are physically located is way too much work and unreliable.  I can't see B&N wanting to even try that with all the available proxy services, VPNs, etc.

I did note that the most recent nook models have IC (Industry Canada) certification (equivalent to FCC).  (Even the 3G models with a -1 at the end of the FCC-ID.) So perhaps there is some intent to sell into Canada, perhaps with a Canadian version of the online-shop.

Given B&N's internal turmoil, I can see why this might be delayed.

This Ancient Post suggests this should have been fixed last year, but apparently not as far as nooks are concerned.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

It's widely reported that B&N is doing IP-based geographic screening, although I get the impression from the reports that it's not distinguishing between US and Canada IP addresses. If that's the case, the billing address on the credit card would be the likely determining factor.

Six of B&N's "top 100 bestsellers" (at the moment) are available to Canadians. There's an obvious pattern in the publishers involved:

• #9 The Red Queen, Philippa Gregory, Simon & Schuster
  • #31 Under the Dome, Stephen King, Simon & Schuster
  • #39 Scarlet Nights, Jude Deveraux, Simon & Schuster
  • #66 Foreign Influence, Brad Thor, Simon & Schuster
  • #83 Long Hard Ride, Lorelei James, Samhain
  • #85 The Glass Rainbow, James Lee Burke, Simon & Schuster

Oddly, the "B&N Classics" series, which are published by Barnes & Noble, aren't available to Canadians.

New User
kcmccann
0 Kudos

I am presently researching e-book readers and have been steering toward the Nook. I too live in Canada. While I have purchased several printed books from B&N in the past, the fact that so many of you are reporting limitations in purchasing eBooks is a real turn off. I want a reader that can also receive library books in the Adobe ePub format, so a Kindle and iPad are automatically ruled out.  Finally, I want something that is legible in outdoorn daylight.

Your thoughts?

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

The obvious alternative is Kobo. I don't know what the prices are in the Great White North, but hereabouts the NOOK Wi-Fi is only $10 (US) more than the Kobo, and does more. You can still read all of the Kobo e-books and library e-books on NOOK, plus you can read eReader format e-books, plus you've got the (limited) B&N access, plus the games (if you care), plus the web browser such as it is, plus the MP3 player such as it is.

On the other hand, you can't buy a NOOK in Canada, and I believe that the Kobo has better PDF support right now.

New User
kcmccann
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks Doug. I thought the LCD screen on the Kobo would be hard to read outside?

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

kcmccann wrote:

Thanks Doug. I thought the LCD screen on the Kobo would be hard to read outside?

The Kobo has an e-ink screen

New User
smartee
0 Kudos

The B&N website won't allow you to even put in a Canadian address to obtain ebooks. It says you must have an American address....??  WT?  I am headed to the Statres tomorrow in hopes of purchasing a Nook and will get back with what I find out.

I checked out the Kobo today at the local Chapters and  the screen is hard to read.  It says that it is eink but it also says "pear" eink-whatever that means.  The Kobo was not very clear due to the pearl eink.  It doesn't look like eink, it looks somewhat backlit.  Also, if you need larger than 10 pt type the Kobo is not the ereader for you. 

New User
chaffec
0 Kudos

I concur!!!

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

chaffec: You might write to your MP and complain about the Investment Canada Act, which Canada uses to restrict foreign (*cough* American *cough*) bookstores from doing business in Canada. Amazon spent a decade trying to get into Canada before finding that sending $20 million to the right places and making vague promises about promoting Canadian authors worldwide would convince the Honourable James Moore to grant them an exception (to the great outrage of Canadian bookstores and book distributors).

Apple simply ignored the Investment Canada Act when it set up its iBookstore, got investigated, and was permitted to continue selling e-books in Canada anyway. Hachette ignored the Act by distributing printed books in Canada from its American warehouse, drove the largest Canadian book distributor (H. B. Fenn) out of business, and the Canadian government declined to even investigate.

Maybe B&N should do what the others have done: violate the law and see if they get away with it. So far B&N has seen fit to obey the law.

New User
RufflesHC
0 Kudos

I recently purchased a Noon in Minot, North Dakota  and took it home to Canada.  I registered it with my Canadian address and credit card and all was well.  Order books all summer with no problem.  Till we came south to Yuma for winter.  Now we can not order any books as a box pops up and says we need a us address.  I have tried putting in our us address but no use.  What can we do to right the situation. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 249 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: