Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
TrillianLali
0 Kudos

Nook is Stuck in USB Drive Mode

I plugged my nook into the computer, but for one reason or another it didn't take on the computer's end. The nook changed to USB Drive Mode, putting up the appropriate screen, but my computer gave me a notification that the drive malfunctioned and suggested I reconnect. Obviously, I was unable to Eject the nook as the computer didn't recognize it was plugged in.

Eventually I unplugged the nook from the computer, but it is frozen on the USB Drive Mode screen. I held the power button for ten seconds in an effort to reboot, but no luck; it's still stuck on the same screen.

I can't use the Nook, and I can't get the computer to recognize it. Help?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is Stuck in USB Drive Mode

It sounds like your battery went dead. Try plugging it in to charge. It could take half an hour or so before the yellow "charging" light comes on and the unit becomes responsive.

New User
TrillianLali
0 Kudos

The battery is still over half full, but I'll try plugging it in and just waiting to see what happens.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Another thing to try is holding the power button down for 20 seconds to cause a full shutdown. You may need to tap the power button again to get it to go to "white screen". Then turn it back on.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@TrillianLali,

Has your issue been resolved?

New User
Jeffersong
0 Kudos

I was able to get mine unstuck by unplugging the usb and holding down the power button for about 20 seconds. Thanks!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Jeffersong wrote:

I was able to get mine unstuck by unplugging the usb and holding down the power button for about 20 seconds. Thanks!

Hi there and welcome to the nook forums. Looks like you were having some problems and got it worked out. Glad to hear it.

Often powering all the way off, waiting a few seconds, and then powering back on solves a lot of little quirks. It's like rebooting your computer. Sometimes these electronic devices just need a fresh start.

Happy reading.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
New User
jotribbiani
0 Kudos

I am currently experiencing the same problem. I plugged my Nook into my computer, and my computer said that it did not recognize the device. I unplugged it, and my nook as been on USB Drive Mode ever since (over 14 hours). I have held down the power button for a full minute, taken out the battery, plugged it into the wall, left it alone etc., all to no avail.

Any suggestions?? I'm going to take it to the store tomorrow, but I'd love to read tonight (although I suppose I could choose one of those "books" from my shelf).

Thanks!

New User
JillianSydney
0 Kudos

I just turned my nook on for the first time and it is already stuck in usb drive. If it's brand new and the instructions say I can use it while it's charging, what's the problem?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

JillianSydney wrote:

I just turned my nook on for the first time and it is already stuck in usb drive. If it's brand new and the instructions say I can use it while it's charging, what's the problem?

Do you have it plugged into the computer to charge?  If so, open  Windows Explorer.  Find the Nook Drive, right mouse click and select eject, but don't disconnect the Nook from the computer.  This will force the computer not to recognize the Nook and let you use it while plugged in. 

If you have it plugged into the wall, I'm not sure why it would do that.  Also, which Nook do you have?

Reader 4
lkwstewart
0 Kudos

I'm having the exact same issue - did you get any response from the store?

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

lkwstewart wrote:

I'm having the exact same issue - did you get any response from the store?

With a Nook First Edition or the newer Simple Touch?

With most digital electronics if you can't get it to work properly you should try shutting it down and restarting it. With the Nook First Edition that involves holding the power button down until the display goes blank. You shouold inquire in one of the other forums on this site if you have another model.

Note that with normal desktop or laptop computers you should use the operating systems normal shutdown procedure instead of the reset button or power switch if possible.

New User
ColeLG
0 Kudos

I would like to download music but when I plug the USB in I cant do anything with the nook

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

ColeLG wrote:

I would like to download music but when I plug the USB in I cant do anything with the nook

1. Which model (you are in a group for the First Edition: e-Ink display with a small color LCD panel below it)?
  2. What does "cant do anything" mean, really?

The first edition, in USB mode, locks out the Nook itself, but should present on the computer as one or two flash memory devices (two if you have an SD card inserted). You should be able to open those "drives" and drag&drop files into directories on the device. Then "Eject" hardware to ensure that all I/O is flushed to the device, the "drives" are removed from the computer, and the Nook should start responding to the touch-pad again.

The new HD/HD+ models remain usable when connected to USB but they don't present as "drives" -- they require a different protocol (when appearing as a drive, the Nook is basically acting as a simple "card reader" device, and the computer is directly commanding the memory); WinXP doesn't have that protocol unless you've installed WMP-11 (and even then it doesn't appear to some user-mode software, only to the "MyComputer" listing).

Baron Wulfraed
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 303 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: