Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
sbro

Nook is not charging

My nook isn't charging.  I tried charging both ways but it isn't working.  This isn't the first time I have charged the nook but this time it doesn't seem to have a good connection.  What should I do?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Nook is not charging

Wordsmith
Michael-V

@sbro,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Try these steps, one at a time to get your NOOK fully functioning again:

1.  Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds and then release.  Then press it again for about 4 seconds to power up your NOOK. 

2.  The battery on your NOOK may be completely drained. Connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.* 

*In some cases, re-charging may require the following steps below:

-Unplug the NOOK.

-Remove the battery (if you don't know how, I have attached a video page on how to remove the battery): 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/NOOK/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=30195#vid3

Once the battery is removed, connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter.  The NOOK should begin to go through its booting process.  Once booted, replace the battery (don't turn the NOOK off or unplug) and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.

Once your NOOK is fully functioning, please verify you have the latest update by going to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.3.0.

If you don't have the latest update you can download it here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

The nook's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the nook is fully charged; also restricting the power source. 

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life.  *Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your nook when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

* Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your nook for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your nook off for storage. If you are going to store your nook for
more that a week, turn it off. 

You can also contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
Toothgnome
0 Kudos

I've had my nook for a week now and the charge on the battery is not what was advertised.  I bought it on Sat. then fully charged the battery using the AC adapter.  By Wed, the charge was down to 27% and the nook told me to recharge (which I did).

Yesterday, the charge was again down to @ 25% , so I went to charge it.  It refused to charge!  I tried the AC adapter and direct with the USB cable.  I did the hard reset several times, but it still refused to charge.

I was limping along in the airplane mode until I remembered this forum.

A little searching and I saw the post about removing the battery and then trying to charge.  Lo and behold it is working!:manhappy:

I think this resolved the immediate problem of not charging, but what is causing this?  Is it a hardware or software issue?   I would hate to have to return my nook for something this simple, but I don't want to have to go through these gyrations every time it needs to be charged!

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There's been a lot of discussion on this issue.

1.  The battery should go through a few charge cycles (down to 5-10%) in order to calibrate it properly.

2.  If you're not in airplane mode, you shouldn't expect the battery to last more than 2 days.  The wireless antennas (wifi and 3G) use the battery more than just "reading" (couldn't tell from your post if you had been in airplane mode the whole time or just turned it on at the final point)

3.  the touchscreen also uses the battery more than reading - in settings, turn the brightness to the lowest point that's still comfortable, and set the timeout for 10 seconds.  If you're reading things like newspapers and magazines that make use of the touchscreen for navigation, you're going to run through the battery faster than just reading a book.

4.  Page turns use the battery.  If you're using a larger font, thereby turning pages more often, you can run the battery down faster than if you're using a smaller font that allows more text per page.  

5.  10 days IS misleading.  It's based on "average" reading habits with all of the above "rules" being followed.  B&N uses a calculation that the average reader reads 15 minutes a day.  Which may technically be true when you count all the people who don't read at all, but is obviously not true for those people who would bother getting a nook in the first place.  If you're reading several hours a day, you will run the battery down faster.

This may not be feasible for everyone, but I, personally, bought a second charger and keep it next to my bed on my nightstand.  I plug my nook in when I'm ready to go to sleep at night and can then use it all day without any of the "energy-saving" features I've listed above.  But I recharge it every night so that it's fully charged when I wake up.  

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just recently bought a second nook for my significant other( received on Wednesday) and could not get a full charge with the adapter.The adapter started to charge, but quit at 87%, and would not go above.I switched adapters (from my nook), and was able to get the second nook fully charged. When I tried the new adapter on my nook, no light, nothing. After more trial and error, I was able to determine both usb cords were fine, but the plug on the second adapter had mafunctioned. I've noticed at least two other posts indicating their nook would not charge above 87%. I'm wondering if the most recent batch of adapters has a manufacturing problem. 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
New User
Toothgnome
0 Kudos

Well, it didn't work!  The light came on to indicate that it was charging and it had the little plus sign in the battery icon to show it was charging, but I left it on the charger for 5 hrs and the power level dropped to 9%! :smileymad:

Anyway, I've only had it a week, so I just took it back to Best Buy and exchanged it for a new one.  Hopefully that will be the end of those problems.

(side note:  when I went to the exchange counter, there was another man there exchanging his Nook!  He said his would not come out of the sleep mode and that he had had his for 8 days!  I hope B & N get to the bottom of this with their supplier!)

Reader 4
lmsred
0 Kudos

I also had this problem and at the store they exchanged the AC adaptor. Now its not charging again and I will try taking the battery out and resetting.

Reader 4
lmsred
0 Kudos

Having the same problem, will try this. Thank you!

Reader 2
NooksterWD
0 Kudos

How can I tell when my Nook is totally charged before I discannect it from the Cable?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

NooksterWD wrote:

How can I tell when my Nook is totally charged before I discannect it from the Cable?

The orange LED light next to the USB port on the nook will go out. 

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader 4
lmsred
0 Kudos

I've had the same problem, exchanged the USB cable and AC adapter and still have the problem. Out of frustration I tried my micro sub phone charger and that works well even the car charger works well. The reader works fine.

New User
bauerms04
0 Kudos

My Nook isn't charing now. I've had it for a month and have hardly used it. Did you figure out a way to get yours to charge?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

bauerms04 wrote:

My Nook isn't charing now. I've had it for a month and have hardly used it. Did you figure out a way to get yours to charge?

If you had it for a month and hardly used it then your battery is probably dead.  Leave it plugged into the wall outlet overnight and see what happens. 

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
CarolaNH
0 Kudos

I checked out your link on how to remove the battery.  Those directions are for the Nook, and I have the Nook Color.  I clicked on the Nook Color tab, but there are no directions there on battery removal.  I've had mine for about 6 weeks - charged it several times over the course of those 6 weeks with no problem.  This morning when I noticed that the battery indicator on the screen was red, I plugged it in - but the Nook light that usually comes on did not.  I tried shutting it down and rebooting - same result.  There is a gray tab on the bottom right hand side of the Nook - not sure if that is how I would get to the battery.  The B&N pages says "The rechargeable battery in your NOOKcolor can only be accessed and replaced by authorized service professionals."  Is returning it my only option at this point?  I'd appreciate any insight.  Thanks.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

CarolaNH wrote:

I checked out your link on how to remove the battery.  Those directions are for the Nook, and I have the Nook Color.  I clicked on the Nook Color tab, but there are no directions there on battery removal.  I've had mine for about 6 weeks - charged it several times over the course of those 6 weeks with no problem.  This morning when I noticed that the battery indicator on the screen was red, I plugged it in - but the Nook light that usually comes on did not.  I tried shutting it down and rebooting - same result.  There is a gray tab on the bottom right hand side of the Nook - not sure if that is how I would get to the battery.  The B&N pages says "The rechargeable battery in your NOOKcolor can only be accessed and replaced by authorized service professionals."  Is returning it my only option at this point?  I'd appreciate any insight.  Thanks.

This is the nook board, not NookColor - that's why there's a link on how to remove a battery.  The NC battery is not user removable.

Your best bet is to post your questions on one of the NookColor boards -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

New User
nchokkan
0 Kudos

I have a similar problem, and tried the tips given here, it works 50% :smileyhappy: :smileysad:

This is what I observe:

1. I charge Nook to full

2. Start reading

3. After couple of hours, I switch it off

4. Not able to switch on, Not able to charge (Both wall charger / PC, USB Charger don't work)

5. I remove the battery, keep it away for couple of hours, fix it again

6. Now I am able to charge full 100%

7. Go to step #1 and repeat :smileysad:

This means, I have to keep my Nook switched on all the time, Or remove the battery and rest it for few hours, Not sure how to solve this problem!

As I am in India (Got this Nook as a gift from a friend in US), I won't be able to replace the battery if it is found problematic, Is there any other way?

Naga C

New User
Otaku88
0 Kudos

Re: Nook(Color) is not charging

My nook color doesn't charge very well. It only charges if the cord is in a certain position. I really don't know what the problem is, and it is currently completely dead. Hopefully, the charge will hold. If you have any advice, please help! Anything is welcome!

Reader 2
ihearttoread
0 Kudos

My nook is not charging.  I have read the posts and clicked on the provided video but was unable to find anything telling me how to disconnect the battery? I've tried restarting it and everything else and nothing has worked.  Any suggestions? Thanks.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Please specify which model of Nook you have.  1st Edition (black and white screen), Color, or 2nd Edition (Simple Touch with black and white screen). 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 693 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: