Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

Nook not updating to 1.5

I'm connected to wifi, tried restarting, went to "check for new B&N content," checked the Daily, turned airplane mode off and back on. Tried just about everything, but I can't get the update. Is mine just in the qeue behind a bunch of other nooks and I have to wait? or is there some malfunction on my end?

My usb cable got bungled up and it doesn't dock the nook to my laptop, so I can't update to 1.5 manually until my replacement usb cable shows up in another day or two :smileysad:

Any thoughts?

Reader 4
SnoodlesLaRue
0 Kudos

Re: Nook not updating to 1.5

I am having the same problems. I keep getting an Error Downloading Update message on the lower right hand side of my screen. I have tried checking for new content, I have totally shut my Nook down and it shows a WIFI signal but it will not download the update. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Reader 4
SnoodlesLaRue
0 Kudos

OH, sorry, and when it try to update using my computer it does not know what program to use to open the update. This could not be much more frustrating!!!

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

BTW, when I go to "check for new B&N content," I get a notice that says "unable to complete" and a prompt to call 1800thebook. I'm hoping it will fix itself and I won't have to call in.

New User
babsnook
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem-Error downloading update.  What should I do?

Inspired Contributor
Paginate
0 Kudos

Same problem here.  Has anyone who initially had an error message gotten it to eventually work? 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

[ Edited ]

SnoodlesLaRue wrote:

OH, sorry, and when it try to update using my computer it does not know what program to use to open the update. This could not be much more frustrating!!!

Don't use ANY program to open it.

Right click this link:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/presources/download/nook/v.1.5.0/signed_bravo_update.dat

And select SAVE AS, and save it to someplace on your computer.

Right Click means use the Right mouse button, or Control-Click if using a mac.

Then hook your nook up to your computer and copy signed_bravo_update.dat to the root of the nook drive.  (not in any folder, just onto the drive).

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

babsnook wrote:

I am having the same problem-Error downloading update.  What should I do?

Download it with your computer and copy it to the nook.  Make sure what you copy is named exactly "signed_bravo_update.dat"  Nothing more, nothing less.

Right click this link:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/presources/download/nook/v.1.5.0/signed_bravo_update.dat

and select SAVE-AS.

See: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp#vid10

Reader 4
SnoodlesLaRue
0 Kudos

OK, it took me totally shutting down my Nook about 5 times and finally it downloaded the software. Keep trying cuz it is worth it BIG TIME!  I love the faster page turning and especially the shelves option.

Frequent Contributor
El_Viejo
0 Kudos

Well, I got the error downloading update 2 or 3 times, but just kept trying.  The next time, it downloaded slow, but OK and all else seems to have updated OK.  It took longer to start up than I've noted previously...probably having more things to do.  I'm guessing that next time will be quicker.  Really like the faster page turns.

Frequent Contributor
polishnookguy
0 Kudos

Looks like I'll be doing a manual update.   

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

Thanks, Icebike, much appreciate your help. This worked just fine (and fast).

Now to see what's new.....

Contributor
Quiverful
0 Kudos

I had errors when attempting to download, too.  I went to the site and manually downloaded it to my computer and then saved it to my Nook.  It said it worked fine but I could not find it anywhere on my Nook.

Finally, the WiFi download worked and it updated the update.  However, I still have no idea where the one that I downloaded went to...LOL

But, the Shelves feature is not working.  Stinks because this seems like a cool way to organize my Library.

Contributor
Ritat_
0 Kudos

Not updating with WiFi and I tried manually.  A message says the destination and originating forlder are the same and aborts.  Something tells me the download started and created a folder on my Nook so it won't accept the manual download.  Frustrating.  I'll keep trying with Wifi

New User
kekyko
0 Kudos

Just updated mine.  had to do it manually.  You may have to completely turn off and try again.  I had all of the above problems.  But have patience it will work.

Frequent Contributor
DLCrouch
0 Kudos

@icebike

thanks for the tip -worked like a charm!

Frequent Contributor
DrOsler
0 Kudos

I suspect that a lot of the problems with the automatic update are related to some very busy servers.

As was suggested elsewhere in the thread, the better solution right now may be to manually update.

When I did the manual update and copied the update file to the nook drive on my computer I noticed that there was a zero length file orphaned by the prior attempts to do the automatic update.  I deleted that file, copied the manually downloaded file, disconnected the USB and the nook took over from there.  So far everything is working OK.

Contributor
Nook_DIVAAJ
0 Kudos

I kept getting the error message also and logged on here to see how to do a manual.....I went back to check for B&N updates and what ya know............it downloaded........still in the process! So excited. Cant wait to enjoy over the holidays!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Reading is Fundamental
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

DrOsler wrote:

I suspect that a lot of the problems with the automatic update are related to some very busy servers.

As was suggested elsewhere in the thread, the better solution right now may be to manually update.

I would suspect that would be part of the problem.  Especially considering that all us West Coasters have just gotten home from work and everyone is firing up the WiFi and attempting to download the updated.  I tried a couple of times, it didn't download the update, so I updated manually, not having any problems, happily adding shelves to my library now.

Contributor
pebb2
0 Kudos

I had the same problem.   I had to call tech support to find out that the server is busy and that it may take a little bit.  Mine finally updated after 30 mins.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 239 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: