Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
DMorehead
0 Kudos

Nook not working

I have a Nook 1st edition wi-fi, and I am having problems with my nook, and none of the tech support has been able to resolve the problem.  Last night my nook screen froze.  These are the steps I have taken:

Unplugged all cords

Removed the battery

Held down the power button for 60 seconds

Left the battery out for 30 minutes

Screen still frozen

After 30 minutes re-inserted the battery

Put nook on charger for 4 hours

No change, screen still frozen

Called tech support, explained what I had tried to do.  Tech support says they are sending a new charger.  Explained to tech support that I don't believe it is the charger, as I have tried a different one and it doesn't change anything.

So this morning, I decide I am going to try and play with it.  I remove the battery, hold the power button down and the nook goes to the white screen.  I get excited, thinking I am making progress. But the nook won't do anything from the white screen, just sits there. I plug the nook into the USB on my laptop, get the "device is starting" screen.  Following the instructions on the forms, I insert the battery as the device is loading. Nook starts to load up, gets to a certain point, and freezes.  Tried unplugging the nook, holding down the power button, nothing works.  Back to where I was last night.  Remove the battery, etc.  Decide to try using the wall charger.  With the battery removed, I plug into AC adapter, nook comes on.  Loads up, goes to home screen, everything seems to be ok.  Then find out my wi-fi is not working.  Go through trouble shooting on my router for that (didn't change anything on the nook), go to restart my nook.  Will not power on at all with battery in.  Remove the battery, plug into wall charger; nook starts to load up and gets to the screen with the "n" and freezes.  The only way I can get it to "un-freeze" is to put the battery back into the nook and plug the nook into the USB until I get a white screen, then remove the battery.  With the battery out and the nook plugged into the USB, now my nook is in an endless cycle of re-boot.  It shows the "device is starting up" screen, flashes to the "home" screen, the backlight on the touch portion comes on, and it goes back to the "device is starting up" screen.  It is an endless cycle.  The laptop isn't recognizing the nook as plugged into the USB, and I have tried all ports.  I have plugged other devices into the USB and they are working fine. 

So I try the wall charger trick again, thinking maybe I'll get lucky.  If I can get it to boot up as before I am going to do a factory reset - no such luck.  When plugged into the wall charger it goes to "device is starting" page, and then I get a 3/4 black screen with a white stripe at the bottom and a dark black stripe down the left side.  And it is frozen here.  The only way to get it un-frozen is to start over, put the battery in, plug it back into the USB port, wait for the white screen, remove the battery, and I get the endless start up cycle again

I am at my wits end, I have never had so much problem with a device or so little option for troubleshooting.  I am stuck at a point where I have to wait five days for a new charger to come, then prove that it doesn't work, call tech support back, and then what?  Send it in for warranty?  Replace it?  I am going to be without my nook for a few weeks it sounds like, and that doesn't make me very happy.  What is the point in having a device that is as good as a paperweight?  I am seriously contemplating going and looking at the Kindles, and feel the nook is the biggest waste of money. 

If anyone has any last advice before I throw this thing away I would appreciate it.  I have read about 2 dozen different forums and tried all the advice, and once I can finally get it unfrozen, the best I can do is an endless boot up cycle while plugged into USB.  Maybe I am missing a trick, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: Nook not working

I know at one point BN troubleshooting included removing the battery and pluging it in but that changed some time ago and the last I heard they advised against that proceedure. They still advise removing the battery for half hour but not plugging it in without the battery installed.

If it won't charge or come on when plugging it into the computer a new power adapater (charger) wont help. It could be the USB cable itself though.

If there is a BN close by I would take it there and ask to try one of their batteries and or cables.

If it comes on but goes into a constant reboot you will have to perform a factory fallback to determine if the unit is hosed or if the software install became hosed from the battery failure or through your efforts to get it to charge.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

You don't say how long you've had it, but I assume it is less than a year, since you mention warranty.  I read through your post a couple of times.  Have you tried replacing the battery.  It seems from what you've said, you could get it working without the battery, but putting the battery in caused problems.  If you are close to a B&N or a Best Buy, I would call and see if they have any batteries in stock, and try that, as it seems you've tried everything else.  And as the PP suggested, if you can take it to the store, maybe they can help.

Reader
DMorehead
0 Kudos

The nook is just shy of two years old, and I have the 2 year warranty through B&N, which convienently expires in December. 

I have not tried a new battery as I don't have a spare laying around to use.  I have tried both the wall charger and the USB that came with it, plus the wall charger and USB that came with my smart phone, and it doesn't change anything. 

I would LOVE to do a factory reset of the device but I can't get it to boot to the home screen to get that far.  With the battery in, it freezes the screen.  With the battery out, and plugged into the wall charger, it boots to the "device is starting" screen and then flashes to to the home screen and then freezes to a white/black striped screen.  With the battery out and connected to USB it goes into a never ending loop of re-boot .  It comes on, just either freezes or continually cycles through.  I am pretty sure it is not the cables.  I'm not sure how it could be the battery either, since I still have problems with the battery out and the unit plugged into AC or USB. 

"If it comes on but goes into a constant reboot you will have to perform a factory fallback to determine if the unit is hosed or if the software install became hosed from the battery failure or through your efforts to get it to charge." - Is there any way to do a factory fallback if it won't boot past the "device is starting" page?

I don't know if it's charging or not, since I can't seem to get to the screen that shows my battery indicator.  The yellow charging light comes on, goes off, comes on, goes off, so I have no idea what it is doing.  The nook comes on when plugged into AC or USB but won't let me get to my home screen.  When it gets past the start up page, it either completely freezes up on AC or cycles continually on USB.  I really don't think it is the USB cable or AC charger. 

Reader
DMorehead
0 Kudos

And just to clarify - it will not work with or without the battery, or on AC or USB.  With the battery IN, using either cable or by itself, it freezes up to a striped screen.  With the battery OUT and on AC adapter, it goes through device is starting and freezes up on a striped screen.  With the battery OUT and on USB it continually cycles through device is starting.  So it will turn on, on both AC and USB, but either freezes up or just cycles.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

So I take it you do not live near a Barnes and Noble store?

The charger for your smartphone may or may not work it depends on how it's wired. For example the cable and charger for the Nook and Nook Color are not the same even though they look like.

Reader
DMorehead
0 Kudos

No, I live in a very rural area and it is about a 90 minute drive one way to the nearest B&N store.  Thus why I had purchased the reader, so I could enjoy books when they are released.

When I plug the charger in from the smart phone it repeats the same cycle as with the nook charger, thus why it leads me to believe it is not the charger cord.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 246 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: