Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
kritter217
0 Kudos

Nook on a Plane

I did read all the instructions that came with the Nook regarding operating the Nook on an airplane.  What I would like to hear is real life experiences from people who have traveled with their Nook.  Did you have any issues with security or inflight use?  Any suggestions?  Anything I should be aware of? 

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Fellowship of the Ring
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Re: Nook on a Plane

Officially, there is no need to pass the NOOK separately through security. You can leave it in whatever bag it's sitting in. Your experience may vary depending on the personnel involved.

You will have to completely power your NOOK off (white screen) for taxi, takeoff, and landing. During that time you'll be stuck reading in-flight magazines or other paper material. If you're at an airport with long delays at the departure end of the runway, this can be annoying. :smileyindifferent:

Don't forget your NOOK when you get off the plane. At least one person here has reported accidentally leaving it in the seatback pocket and it wasn't turned in.

I had no NOOK-related problems on a recent vacation in Mexico.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

I've flown quite a bit with my Nook now, both domestically and internationally.  There's been no problem with leaving it in my carry-on and sending it through the x-ray.  It does have to be powered down ("white screen") as Doug said, for takeoff and landing.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
belladog
0 Kudos

I thought this topic was referring to the sequel to "Snakes on a Plane". :smileywink:

Nook Touch, iPad 1
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

The biggest issue I had when flying with my Nook was waiting to be able to turn it on after we took off and then having to turn it off when landing.

Since all of my in-flight "entertainment" involves either my iPod or my Nook those times are REALLY bad for me.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ kritter217,

I travel frequently.  Rather than deal with a someone who has no idea what that thing is in my bag, and run the risk of unnecessary secondary screening, I take it out and send it through separately, with the screen exposed.

Flight crew do request nook be off and put away during take-off and landing.  It is a pain, but I try to bring a magazine or paperback to keep me occupied until I can use my nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

@ kritter217,

I travel frequently.  Rather than deal with a someone who has no idea what that thing is in my bag, and run the risk of unnecessary secondary screening, I take it out and send it through separately, with the screen exposed.

Showing it is just as likely to trigger a clueless secondary screening.

Nooks and Kindle's and tablets were explicitly mentioned in a Homeland Security

bulletin as not requiring separate screening and they prefer you to leave it in your

carry on so as to speed up screening. 

http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/tsa-tablets-and-netbooks-need-not-be-taken-out-their-cases-be-sc...

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/04/traveling-with-e-readers-netbooks-and.html

Frequent Contributor
Bamrz
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Nooks and Kindle's and tablets were explicitly mentioned in a Homeland Security

bulletin as not requiring separate screening and they prefer you to leave it in your

carry on so as to speed up screening. 

I guess the screeners don't all read their memos, they made me take mine out of the case. I vote for just doing what they tell you.

Other than the confusion (only in one airport) during the screening, I had no problems with my nook while traveling. Just make sure you have it fully charged, so you aren't caught on the plane and get the dreaded 20% warning (low battery alert)

Sue.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - what a ride!!!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I'm curious.  How are they going to know if you powered it completely down or just put it to sleep if you stow for landing?  I never really thought about sleep mode vs powering down on the plane, since I never turn it off.  I haven't traveled with it yet.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I'm curious.  How are they going to know if you powered it completely down or just put it to sleep if you stow for landing?

The same way they know if you shut your cell phone off. They don't; they have to trust you.

On the way back from my recent trip to Mexico, during the approach to landing someone's cell phone rang. The guy apologized to the flight attendant, and then answered it and talked to the caller! :smileytongue:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Yeah, I figured as much.  But, if it is in airplane mode asleep is there much difference?  Like I said, I don't know if someone hadn't mentioned it here, I would have even thought about it.  

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Off = white screen. Sleeping = screen save. Do you actually have a nook?
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@bklvr896

You'd think about it soon enough on the plane:  the flight attendants now know that there are such things as "eReaders", and list them among the things that they specifically ask you to turn off for takeoff and landing.

Whether you want to comply or prefer to short out the navigation system and send yourself and everyone else on the plane screaming into a fiery death is of course up to you; they don't check seat by seat, so if you're not too obvious, you can probably get away with leaving it on.  :smileytongue:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
smcsk8
0 Kudos

I only put my nook to sleep.  My cell phone too.  The entire purpose of power them off is to prevent you from being distracted in case of an emergency.  So I just airplane mode things and put them away.  Sometimes I even read the nook during landing and take off, if they don't catch me.  I'm not going to waste battery life by powering it all the way down and all the way up twice in a day.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

Off = white screen. Sleeping = screen save. Do you actually have a nook?

He wrote:  "But, if it is in airplane mode asleep is there much difference?", presumably to ask, "would it matter which one you picked on the plane?" I'd think that it wouldn't matter.

In standby mode (screensaver), since the power is off (no power is used if the  touchscreen is off and the e-ink display is static - presumably why the battery life is so long in these readers), it is no different from smartphones (even better in fact). When we turn off smartphones, all we do (in most cases) is turn off  the phone application. The instrument itself is on permanent standby and can never (again, in most cases) be turned off entirely unless you pull out the battery (one example is my Palm Centro).I don't see anyone pulling out batteries by the armload so I assume that's not expected from passengers :smileytongue:.

So, his/her observation seems accurate. Switch to airplane mode, put it on standby (screensaver mode, not off with the white screen showing) and that should be good enough - especially with the cover closed (out of sight, out of mind - I am usually in no mood to explain the subtleties of electronic appliances to sometimes ignorant [and if you're unlucky - a bit power-mad] flight attendants). Unless you wave it around, it's not going to matter.

That's what I'll be doing this summer. I'll let you folks know if that causes any problems but I doubt it.

The cake is a lie.
Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

smcsk8 wrote:

The entire purpose of power them off is to prevent you from being distracted in case of an emergency.

No, the primary purpose is to assure that the electromagnetic radiation from the operating electronics doesn't interfere with any of the airplane's systems. Bear in mind that many modern airliners are "fly by wire", with electronics operating the flight controls (as well as being used for communications and navigation).

As far as I know, there's never been a known incident of consumer electronics interfering with airliner operation, but the FAA has a "better safe than sorry" attitude.

Inspired Contributor
MBenner
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

smcsk8 wrote:

The entire purpose of power them off is to prevent you from being distracted in case of an emergency.

No, the primary purpose is to assure that the electromagnetic radiation from the operating electronics doesn't interfere with any of the airplane's systems. Bear in mind that many modern airliners are "fly by wire", with electronics operating the flight controls (as well as being used for communications and navigation).

As far as I know, there's never been a known incident of consumer electronics interfering with airliner operation, but the FAA has a "better safe than sorry" attitude.

so its ok for the electomagnetic radiation to interfere with electronics the rest of the flight??

To read is to know the Nook, and to read the Nook is to know...Quiet what you know depends upon your Nook. - Darkkin
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

MBenner wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

smcsk8 wrote:

so its ok for the electomagnetic radiation to interfere with electronics the rest of the flight??

Yup.  

First, if the plane makes a slight unplanned bank at 30 thousand feet, its no problem.  Pilots are there for a reason.  An unscheduled turn on take off is a totally different matter.

Second: This is an OLD rule, and as mentioned there has never been a documented case of interference.   Pilots have suspected it, and have even found the suspect device (game boys mostly).  Boeing immediately sends someone to buy that device from the owner and puts it thru testing, in other aircraft and the original aircraft and every single time they have never been able to reproduce this.

For all practical purposes this does not happen.  Nor will cell phones ignite gasoline vapors when you are fueling your car.   Doesn't happen.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
MBenner wrote:

IF something should happen, which as far as I know it never has, there would be time and altitude to deal with the problem. When you're "low, slow, and dirty" and things start to go pear-shaped, the options are limited. Few such instances will turn out as well as "The Miracle on the Hudson" did.

The FAA higher-ups love "safety theater". They're less concerned with actual safety considerations than with looking like they're doing something. (The worker bees at the FAA are overall pretty good folks, trying to make the skies safe while keeping the planes flying in spite of the efforts of upper management.)

I seriously doubt that consumer electronics are going to cause an airliner any grief, especially when the aircraft is stopped on concrete #23 in line for departure, or holding for another flight to push back from the gate that they're supposed to arrive at. But ya know, the FAA doesn't really care what I think. :smileytongue:

Personally, during actual takeoff and landing, I'm paying close attention, with no sharp objects in my pocket, and ready to go into brace position if needed. There's somewhere astonishingly close to zero likelihood that it'll ever matter, but I figure I really don't have anything better to do right then. I love flying, but a decade of flying light planes gave me a certain respect for just how fast things can happen when you're really close to the ground.

(When I'm flying, I also know exactly how many rows of seats it is to the nearest exit. Yeah, that's me reading the safety card from the seat pocket, learning how each of the emergency doors operates, with and without the slide. Not scared, just prepared.)

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ icebike,

Unfortunately, as Bamrz commented, screeners do not always keep up with those memos, and there's no way I'm going to let them know they've missed one :smileysurprised:  I've seen numerous occasions where screeners insist people take their computers out of their TSA-friendly computer cases.  

If a screener is nearby, I'll ask if they need my reader pulled out, but I keep my nook close to my small plastic bag of allowed liquids and it's easy to pull them both out.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 645 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: