Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
CarrieDelena
0 Kudos

Nook plugged in 11 hours but only charged to 85% how long does it take to get it to 100%

Hi,

I had two problems my first/second day of using the Nook.  I have a battery problem that I mention below but I first posted about my Sudoku not working properly because I didn't want to mix the two problems together and of course the game comes first.

My battery problem may be the same thing as in the other person's post but I'm not sure because I didn't know there was a charging light, I didn't see one.  The very first time I used my Nook then plugged it in overnight (I've always plugged cell phones, camera batteries, etc overnight) to recharge I left it in for 11 hours.  After being used down to approximately 50% and then charged 11 hours it was only charged up to 85%.  Last night (only the second time I've charged it) it charged up to 100% after leaving it plugged in much longer than 11 hours to try to get it to 100%.   Is it normal for the batteries not to charge to 100 % when you first start using the Nook?  Will it be an intermittent problem as someone else said they had?  That would be a bummer if I needed it at 100% because I'm traveling that day or doing something else where I'll need it for a long time and I couldn't use it long for lack of recharging.

Thank you in advance for your help.  Carrie

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Re: Nook plugged in 11 hours but only charged to 85% how long does it take to get it to 100%

I haven't seen this problem described in the forums before so this is shooting in the dark.  But I would go ahead and unplug the NOOK and use it until the battery warning comes on, then plug it in again and leave it alone for a few hours.

Check it after three hours on the second charge and see if it is charged up to or close to 100%.

Two things to consider:

Turn off wifi and leave it off while charging so that the nook doesn't "wake up" and try to update.  (I am convince that wifi caused a lot of the "freezes"  and some other problems described in other posts.  Turning it off takes that out of the loop.)

If the light does not come on -- remember, it can take up to 15 minutes to come on if the battery is completely depleted -- or is not on while plugged in and it isn't at 100%, tap the power button (not hold it down) and see if the light goes on.  (One time, I plugged in my NOOK and the charge light did not come on after the obligatory 15 minutes.  I tapped the power button and the light came on.  It then charged normally.)

Sorry, no help on the Sudoku.  But do let us know if your charging problems resolve.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Re: Nook plugged in 11 hours but only charged to 85% how long does it take to get it to 100%

[ Edited ]

It can take the battery meter a few charges up to full, and drained almost completely before it even becomes close to accurate in its measure of the % charged. 

Contributor
CarrieDelena
0 Kudos

Thank you for  your answers!  I will let it die before I plug it in again.

Carrie

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

CarrieDelena wrote:

Thank you for  your answers!  I will let it die before I plug it in again.

Carrie

2 to 5 % is close enough, no need to go all the way to battery shutdown.

Some people have problems when they run it totally down to nothing.  

And the nook can also display an image on the e-ink screen with no power at all so don't be fooled by that.

Then charge to 100%.

Contributor
CarrieDelena
0 Kudos

I am so glad you told me that.  I was depending on the screen fading to know the power was out.  You saved me some heartache possibly.  Thank you!

New User
Zipalena
0 Kudos

Please return your nook to the Barnes and noble store they will help you there

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 652 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: