Reader 2
DouglasP
0 Kudos

Re: Nook power issues since 1.4

100kg- you can't select the wifi (although it is on) since the option is grayed out. It doesn't show the wifi logo just the airplane mode logo but page one of settings shows the wifi as connecting/connected. I don't have an easy way to make a video but if I recall the steps to see the problem were: turn on wifi ,then turn on airplane mode and then just check the settings page, but I can check again when I get home tonight.

Cheers

Doug

Reader 4
Condorcet
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Could power consumption increase if the Nook is set down upside down when not in use (to reduce the dust that settles on its screen)?  Could being upside down put weight on the touch-sensitive home button or touchscreen that continually triggers a process that consumes significant power?

My Nook (Wifi+3G) seems to be one of those that drains much faster than advertised.:smileysad:  I ordered it online from Best Buy (which offers a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, longer than B&N's), have had it a week, fully charged it before first use, and updated it to 1.4 (from 1.3) the first day.  I noticed how fast the battery estimate was dropping, found these message threads, read about the "need" to calibrate the battery's zero point in order to make the estimate accurate, drained the battery all the way to shutdown (0%) by playing audio books, and recharged the Nook.  According to its battery estimate, it still drains much faster than advertised: about 1.5% per hour while in sleep mode with wifi disabled (airplane mode: On).  When not in sleep mode, all I've done during this latest charge was some reading of a .pdf file in My Documents and occasionally looking at the battery estimate in the Settings page.  I haven't manually put it into sleep mode; I just let it sit. (Sometimes upside down.)

By the way, the battery estimate didn't seem to be inaccurate before I calibrated it. Here's why I think that: During that discharging down to 0%, the speed that the estimate was dropping didn't appear to slow down when it approached 0%. In other words, the time it took to drop from 1% to 0% was about the same as from 2% to 1%, from 3% to 2%, etc. If the estimate had been overly pessimistic, wouldn't the Nook have lingered at 1% much longer?

Another reason I question the advice to periodically discharge all the way down to zero is that, based on what I've been reading, that shortens the battery's lifetime somewhat. (Increasing replacement costs and not very green.)  Having a more accurate estimate of remaining power doesn't seem very important. Is there some other, more significant advantage?

Wishlist item: It would be nice if the Nook allowed the user to choose between maximizing the hours per charge and maximizing the battery's lifetime. I presume B&N has the battery management configured to accept a full charge each time the battery is recharged, in order to minimize user complaints about having to recharge too frequently, but I'd like to have the option of not charging fully, which, according to the Battery University webpage, would extend the battery's lifetime.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

The NOOK's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the NOOK is fully charged; also restricting the power source. 

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life.  *Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your NOOK when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

* Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your NOOK off for storage. If you are going to store your NOOK for
more that a week, turn it off. 

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.

Initial conditions:  Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure. 

Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.

1)      Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery.  To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed.  A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2)      Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3)      Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4)      Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds.  This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5)      After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

New User
DisgustedRS
0 Kudos

Nook power issue

I am totally disgusted with Nook and Barnes & Noble Customer Service.  My daughter's Nook lasted less than a year of USEAGE and because the warrantee expired by a month and a half, they refuse to fix the gray screen with lines on the bottom.  This Nook was well taken care of and NEVER abused.  Their answer was to buy another one....who the Hell would buy another one when this is clearly a manufacturer's defect.  I've looked at several FAQ sessions and Blogs....all with similar problems!!!!  Basically falls into the lemon law....DEFECTIVE PRODUCT!!!!  DO NOT BUY NOOK!!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

Rant Re: Some people's attitudes

DisgustedRS wrote:

I am totally disgusted with Nook and Barnes & Noble Customer Service.  My daughter's Nook lasted less than a year of USEAGE and because the warrantee expired by a month and a half, they refuse to fix the gray screen with lines on the bottom.  This Nook was well taken care of and NEVER abused.  Their answer was to buy another one....who the Hell would buy another one when this is clearly a manufacturer's defect.  I've looked at several FAQ sessions and Blogs....all with similar problems!!!!  Basically falls into the lemon law....DEFECTIVE PRODUCT!!!!  DO NOT BUY NOOK!!!

<rant>

Look, Disgusted, I'm sorry you've got your cranky pants on, but if you registered just to post the same assertion that "the NOOK sucks" and not actually participate in this community and its discussions, then please do us all a favor and go the h**l away.

The 1-year warranty (for which you apparently did not purchase the extended coverage) is one year from purchase, not for one year of usage, however you might measure that. That B&N chose not to extend any consideration beyond that point is within their rights and probably more due to the attitude you give off.

In my case, I had issues with my N1E eight months after my warranty lapsed. I politely went into my local store and nicely asked if there was anything they could possibly do to help me. You know what? They replaced it on the spot, in less than 5 minutes, with a brand new, in the box N1E. Guess it pays to be nice. :smileywink:

</rant>

Everyone has to rant it get it off their chests sometimes. (See above.) But if that's all you're hear to do, then just try keeping it bottled up.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 249 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: