Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Re: Nook power issues since 1.4

I knew that would get you out Michael... LOL

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
BNDavid
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thank you for posting.  Any and all information is appreciated.  From what I've read it would seem as if the device was waking/sleeping.  For the battery to drain this fast it would seem that folks would be able to see the problem occurring.  (waking up from sleep mode once an hour would hardly drain your battery this drastically)

Questions for folks that have seen this problem:

1)  Had you been previously browsing?

2)  Had you been previously playing a game (sudoku, chess)

3)  Had you been syncing your device via My Library and then exited?

4)  Is your nook in a case?  Is there anything in the case that might press against a page button?

I'm curious to understand what other processes might be in play in order to help drill down on this issue.  From what I've read, people were reading and let their device fall asleep.  Please respond either to the thread or to me personally through pm.

Thank you again for your support as we strive to improve your reading experience!

Best Regards,

David

New User
Red-lioness
0 Kudos

I have experienced my nook being awake when I take it out of its sleeve, I just thought that I was pressing it accidentally.  I take my nook everywhere with me, so I know that I always have the airplane mode on.  This morning it had a battery charge of about 60% when I put it to sleep, left for 10min to get my daughter breakfast, when I came back I could not get it to awake.  I tried turning it off, charging it and then had to take the battery out and then charge.  I know a charge can not go down in about 10 minutes.  But taking everyone's advice, I finally got it working again, Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
Fraktal
0 Kudos

BNDavid wrote:

Hi All,

4)  Is your nook in a case?  Is there anything in the case that might press against a page button?

1) If you mean browsing the web, nope.

2) Nope, never played a game yet on the Nook.

3) Yes, I bought a book, and it didn't show up right away, so I did a sync. it still didn't show up, so If figured there was some delay and put the Nook to sleep. Perhaps it kept waking up trying to D/L the book? That's an interesting thought. I'll try to remember to buy when I start using the Nook next time instead of when done using it.

4) It's in a case I got from B^N. The case has a cover, which rests against the Nook. I suppose it's conceivable that this counts as a 'button press'? If so why is B&N selling these covers or at least not warning us about them?

Hope this helps.

Contributor
genierenae
0 Kudos

To BNDavid:

I too am having all of the problems listed in previous replies.  No browsing, or game playing, side loading or syncing.  Just reading, put it to sleep and then no waking up.  Its really frustrating.  I hope you find a fix soon.

thanks!

Reader 2
daveknight
0 Kudos

1. browsing, no.

2. playing a game, no, never tried.

3. syncing, no.

4. case, yes, except the two times I noticed the nook come out of sleep I had left the cover open and none of the buttons had been touched or pressed.

airplane mode was ON. I've only seen this happen twice; as I said before I saw the nook go to sleep, then about 30 seconds or so later it came, by itself, out of sleep to the last page I was reading and just sat there. It didn't go back to sleep. So I manually put it back to sleep.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is a huge mystery when the nook falls asleep by itself.

But in the case of user putting it to sleep you can reproduce this behavior fairly easily.

If touch screen is on:  Double Tap the sleep button.  Nook goes to sleep, re-awakens.

Why would anyone double tap you ask?

Well, when the touch screen is off, you have to double tap to get it to sleep.  First tap wakes the touch screen, second tap puts it to sleep.  But if touch screen is on, a habitual double tap lets you fall into this sleep-re-awake issue.

Triple tap while reading with a dark touch screen does the same thing. 

Not saying this is what anyone has done, just pointing out this can happen by user error.

When its fallen asleep by itself, with airplane mode ON, its totally unreasonable for it to wake up and go back to reading now.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

This is a huge mystery when the nook falls asleep by itself.

But in the case of user putting it to sleep you can reproduce this behavior fairly easily.

If touch screen is on:  Double Tap the sleep button.  Nook goes to sleep, re-awakens.

Why would anyone double tap you ask?

Well, when the touch screen is off, you have to double tap to get it to sleep.  First tap wakes the touch screen, second tap puts it to sleep.  But if touch screen is on, a habitual double tap lets you fall into this sleep-re-awake issue.

Triple tap while reading with a dark touch screen does the same thing. 

Not saying this is what anyone has done, just pointing out this can happen by user error.

When its fallen asleep by itself, with airplane mode ON, its totally unreasonable for it to wake up and go back to reading now.

That would be the expected response from the nook.    First tap (with touch screen on) puts it to sleep.   The 2nd tap wakes it up again.    It should then go into auto-sleep after the normal inactivity timeout (mine is set at 10 minutes).

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
luminessence
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Last night I was reading on my Nook, with the battery indicator about half-full; I put it to sleep, and about an hour later tried to wake it up, but it wouldn't wake up. Holding the power button down to restart it didn't work. This morning I hooked it up to the wall charger, and the charge light wouldn't come on, but when I checked on it again about 45 minutes later, the charge light was on and the Nook would turn on again.
I searched for info about this problem and kept finding links to this thread, so I'm guessing this is a similar or related problem. But could the battery really have gone from half-full to completely drained in an hour? It had just been charged the night before, and besides, the battery meter on mine is generally pretty accurate. Wi-fi was on (I forgot to turn it off after buying a book a few days ago), but even so, that seems... excessive. Also, wi-fi was on for several days, and the Nook's battery hadn't drained abnormally before last night.
Something similar happened a few days ago, but that time the Nook restarted itself after a few minutes of trying to get the power button to work. The battery indicator was at about half when it turned back on. This may or may not be related to what happened to it last night.

BNDavid wrote:

I haven't used the browser in weeks and haven't synced in several days, and I haven't ever played games on my Nook. The Nook is in a case, but the case doesn't press against the power button or the page buttons. Plus, after I got it to turn on again, it was on the page where I had stopped reading last night.

Edit: Apparently I posted too soon :smileytongue: My Nook is comatose again, after being disconnected from the charger with 100% battery charge about half an hour ago (and with Airplane Mode on this time).

Frequent Contributor
luminessence
0 Kudos

My Nook managed to turn itself on again without being hooked up to the charger, and the battery charge was at 98%. So right now I'm guessing that the problem I'm experiencing isn't the battery depletion issue it looked like at first, but a strange variant of the frozen-Nook problem.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

@luminessence:

When you held the power button down to reboot your nook did you count off 20 full seconds? 

Also in your prior message edit, where you reported your nook  comatose again, was that just after powering on from sleep mode?

Do you have a lot of side loaded content?

The pattern I see developing is there is a bug coming out of sleep mode for some nooks.   

Frequent Contributor
luminessence
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

@luminessence:

When you held the power button down to reboot your nook did you count off 20 full seconds? 

Also in your prior message edit, where you reported your nook  comatose again, was that just after powering on from sleep mode?

Do you have a lot of side loaded content?

The pattern I see developing is there is a bug coming out of sleep mode for some nooks.   

I held the power button down for the full twenty seconds. Nothing happened - but the next time I tried, it worked fine.

When I reported it comatose again, I had tried to power it on from sleep mode, but it stayed asleep.

And yes, at least half my content is sideloaded. My Nook isn't very full, though; I'm only using about 5% of its total storage capacity right now. I just went and checked (since the Nook seems to be working right now); my Nook has 35 sideloaded books and 26 B&N books on it.

Contributor
DFen911
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well I must chime in as well.

Today my nook was "frozen" on the screensaver. When I put it away this morning before work I was at 91% battery. I came home from work (airplane mode is always on unless I'm in the store) and my battery was totally drained. I now have had it plugged in for 2 hours and the image that tells you your battery charge is too low and must plug it in is still displayed.

So to answer your questions -

1 - No I was just reading.

2  - Have never played the games (actually wish I could delete them)

3 - No was not syncing. I had downloaded a book 4 days prior.

4 - No not in a case and nothing is never near the power button.

I feel the heat near the bottom of the unit as it's charging, but the battery is still cool which I find odd after 2 hours of being plugged in.

I have notice that since 1.4 batch my battery gets drained quite fast. I used to go 4-5 days between charges. Now if I don't charge every day it drops dramatically.

Something is not right with the new patch. :smileysad:

Is there a way to go back to 1.3 until they find out the problem with 1.4?

BTW after charging 2 hours it should have enough battery life to turn on I would think. I tried holding down the power button for 20 seconds and turning it back on, but nothing works. I'm so frustrated :smileysad:

Contributor
AruMich
0 Kudos

Just bought my Nook yesterday. :smileyhappy:

Fully charged it, downloaded a couple of books, did some reading and did not put it in airplane mode. 

When I went to bed last night the battery was at about 70% so I decided to fully charge it again. 

After a 7 hr charge I turned it on this morning and the battery was only 98%.  

Checked what was new and put it on airplane mode. 

Then I sideloaded the 1.4 upgrade. 

I have now read my Nook for 1 hour the battery is at 85%.  

Should it really drain this quickly??

Is there a way to reset the Nook and get rid of the 1.4 upgrade for now and go back to 1.3 until these issues are fixed??

My favorite location is on a beach with a good book.
Frequent Contributor
El_Viejo
0 Kudos

My Nook has failed to wake 3 times since the 1.4 release.  I fully charged it yesterday afternoon, taking it off the charger at approximately 6:00pm.  Around 7:30pm I woke it up and read a couple of short chapters in the current book that I am reading.  Just prior to 8:00pm, i closed the cover (B&N cover) and laid the Nook down, assuming it would go to sleep.  This morning, I attempted to wake it up, but it would not.  After messing with the power button and holding it down for a long time, nothing happened.  Then, I just pressed and released the power button and the Nook started up.  After startup, my battery reading was at 51%.  Airplane mode was off.  Again, this is the 3rd time happening since upgrading to 1.4.

Contributor
AruMich
0 Kudos

Airplane mode should be ON to reduce battery usage.  If it is OFF your nook is either using WiFi or 3G to stay connected to the B&N system and that drains the battery. 

My favorite location is on a beach with a good book.
New User
Donna-Pilar
0 Kudos

I too am a new Nook owner. I've had mine for about two-plus weeks. The first time I charged it, I got only about a three day "run" before I got the low power warning. But, being a novice, I had spent that weekend upgrading to v.1.4, browsed, searched and purchased some books and looked around at all the features. I had also had the WiFi on and airplane mode off. Soooo, to my surprise, the charge did not last for the 10 days it was advertised to last. The second time, I got just about 7 days. I learned to shut the WiFi off and set airplane mode on. I just had to charge it again last night... 5 days. I'm a little disappointed at the battery charge life and feel B&N misrepresented this feature, but I am happy with the Nook overall. I would like to know how B&N Nook developers can get a 10day charge out of this device. I haven't had an of the "glitches" that some have complained about tho. I don't seem to have a problem with the screensaver and it not going to or coming out of sleep mode. I also get the leather "book" style case for my Nook, and it doesn't appear to be interfering with the unit's touchscreen or power button. I'd still like to know why it doesn't and how I can get 10 days out of a charge tho.

New User
thomshep2242
0 Kudos

Let me add my voice to others on this thread.

I bought my Nook 2 weeks ago after returning a defective Sony eReader. I loved the design of the Nook and had absolutely no problems with it until during my vacation last week, at which point I experienced one freeze after another, sometimes in the middle of a page turn and sometimes even before a screen-saver could kick in, leaving the screen looking like a negative. Sometimes when I powered it down to a white screen after one of these crashes, it would restart itself. These restarts varied from less than a minute to several minutes.

Yet even with these freezes, my battery did not indicate it was even close to empty.

Just before leaving for my vacation -- I upgraded to 1.4 and bought a leather holder (admittedly not a B&N model) and also added a few PDFs of my own documents, and a couple dozen audio files. Thinking the problem might be related to the audio files taking up too much space, I removed them all, but continued to experience the freezing.

I wonder if the problem is related with having mutiple documents bookmarked. Currently, reading an ebook I purchased from B&N is presently no problems, but during vacation I was hopping between several documents and books, as well as music (I haven't even looked at the games yet).

If the Nook was a PC, I'd say it was displaying symptoms of not having enough RAM.

To echo other voices on this thread, can we downgrade back to 1.3?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

thomshep2242 wrote:

To echo other voices on this thread, can we downgrade back to 1.3?

You probably can, if you upgraded from something earlier.

Six consecutive 20-second power offs in a row (with a power on between each, obviously) will trigger a reload of your original OS from a backup emergency copy tucked away on the nook somewhere you can't see it.  People who have tried this (directed to do so by CS) say that no content is lost in the process.

If the version original version was 1.3 you are good to go.  

If it was something earlier then you have to upgrade to 1.3.  

Presumably you still have 1.3 on your computer from the previous upgrade (and if you don't let this be a lesson to you).  

There are places to get 1.3 if you don't have it.  Be aware that the file size on 1.3 is 64.7 MB (67,888,337 bytes)  (reported by windows as 66298KB)  Accept no substitutes as there are bogus hacked copies laying around. PM me.

Reader 4
LindaGreff
0 Kudos

I have had 1.4 since June 22 (it downloaded automatically when I accidentally activated Wi-Fi in Sydney airport), and hadn't had any problems until today.  I'm in an area with no Wi-Fi, and no ATT, so have been on Airplane mode for ten days.   I've had to do only two recharges since the update, and everything seemed to be working.  My Nook required recharging after about 9 days, so I recharged it yesterday.  I have never experienced the freezing that other people have mentioned, but I did have an odd screen flash shortly after yesterday's charging, but only the once. 

Today I had the Cityscape screen of death.  I tried the hard reset (the 20 second power button hold), removing the battery, all the mentioned fixes, to no avail.  Tried plugging it into the computer, and it wasn't recognized.  Plugged it into the wall, and left it for an hour.  After an hour my Nook is now functioning.  The battery charge showed 94% after the hour, but only had increased to 96% in 45 minutes.  Suddenly power jumped to 100%, but I left it plugged in for several minutes more to be sure; within ten minutes of unplugging power is down to 98%.  Seems rather rapid, but we'll see about the rest of the charge.

The one thing that I had changed after the charging was the screensaver.  I had been on Nature, and yesterday changed it to Cityscape.  Is it that most problems occur with the Cityscape screensaver?  I don't remember anybody mentioning Nature or Authors, but the last batch of people just said screensaver, not which one.  Could there be some odd problem with 1.4 and Cityscape?  Or just Cityscape itself?

General info:  sleep timer is set to 15 minutes; touchscreen brightness to 38%, touchscreen timer at 30 seconds.  Prior to today, these settings didn't cause any problems.

It was not a fun thing to think that my Nook had died!  I love my Nook, and am slowly working my way through the Free Friday books, which I also really appreciate.  I'm only providing info in the hopes that this problem is resolved.

Linda

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 939 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: