Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
MDShakespeare
0 Kudos

Nook's Dictionary is completely, totally and absolutely useless.

Hello, Any chance of a fix or upgrade on the dictionary?

If not I may return the Nook. I LOVE everything else about the Nook but that darn Dictionary (Which seems to work so well on other ereaders), The Nooks dictionary is completely, totally and absolutely useless for any book over a third grade reading level, to the point that Barnes and Noble's should be ashamed to even mention it in their advertisement.

I didn't realize the dictionary issue until after the purchase, and in my quest to find a fix I have found hundreds of mentions, and no solutions. I really hope there's an answer out there, and that I can find it within the return period. I really love everything else about the Nook, but a working dictionary is a requirement (And what we were promised in the advertisements).

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Nook's Dictionary is completely, totally and absolutely useless.

As you may know, a major update to the nook software has been announced by B&N and is expected within the next few days. This update is said to fix many problems, speed up page turning, increase battery life, and add some new features. I suppose world peace might be too much to ask.

Let's wait until after the update to see what the situation is.

Reader 2
LDavCA
0 Kudos

I must admit I'm kinda surprised at how much time and energy folks are spending on the dictionary question on these boards. The dictionary was way down on the priority list when I decided to buy the nook. For my own experience, I have tried the dictionary on the nook a few times and have gotten the information I needed every time. I must admit that in my pre-ebooks life I never sat around with a dictionary in hand while reading a book.

Needless to say, my experience with the nook so far is all positive.

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

Now that you mention, I never looked up words before.  Generally you can get the gist just by the usage.  I have looked up a few now that I have the nook and mostly they have the word, sometimes not.  If the word isn't there I just shrug and move on.

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Reader 2
MDShakespeare
0 Kudos

LDavCA wrote:

I must admit I'm kinda surprised at how much time and energy folks are spending on the dictionary question on these boards. The dictionary was way down on the priority list

But the Dictionary must have been on the list of many thousands of people, to the point where hundreds (or more) are disappointed enough to vocalise this issue on this and other boards.

The thought of instant access to a dictionary for a book lover like me makes the Nook awesome. And this is one of those advertised features that convinced me not to go with the Nook. Without the Dictionary I would have looked elsewhere.

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

MDShakespeare wrote:

The thought of instant access to a dictionary for a book lover like me makes the Nook awesome. And this is one of those advertised features that convinced me not to go with the Nook. Without the Dictionary I would have looked elsewhere.

I have to agree.  I don't use the dictionary much, but i have used it a few times with about a 50% hit rate.  With new words that i did not know, i'd infer based on the context.  I like the idea of being able to look up a new word quickly, even if i'm away from my library.  Of course every word i've tried to look up is at the bottom of the page and it takes me a while to get it highlighted with the sucky navigation buttons. :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
VelocipedeCowboy
0 Kudos

I'll fully agree with the original poster.  I thought the process of selecting the word was terrible, and it didn't find the word I was looking for.

Pretty much any time I'm going to look up a word, it's going to be an uncommon one.  So if they only have a basic dictionary, it's going to fail more often than not.

I can think of at least three better schemes for word selection just sitting here.

1. Search as you type - as you type on the keyboard (after say the first two characters) start displaying a word choice list as you go).

2. Two sets of buttons - not just line up/down and word back/forward.  Maybe add a second set that does five at a time.

3. Alphabetic list of all words on page, as you type, it narrows down.

Almost anything would be better than what they have now.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

The dictionary interface is improved in 1.3. Succcessfully find some root words.  Still can miss some words.  But it now has a keyboard option to look up a word.

Reader 4
chris10
0 Kudos

Agree with the subject line.  The interface has improved with the update and now it actually finds some words but I find most words still return the error of no definition found.  The Nook team should remember this is a reader first and get the basic reader concepts working before expanding to games / browsing etc...

Contributor
jintoku
0 Kudos

Even with the 1.4 upgrade the dictionary underlying the resource is part of the problem. It simply doesn't have many of the words needed.

I also have the Sony Reader Touch, and the dictionary supplied with it is heads and shoulders above that in the Nook. I was able to fine "oriel" on the Sony, but the B&NB was stumped.

I do hope a new underlying version of the dictionary itself can be provided in the next update.

“I am not the part of the universe I completely control, but the whole of the universe I influence in part.” — Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
New User
skiblue
0 Kudos

I too am considering returning the Nook... after all the trouble of finding reasons to keep the Nook after hrs of comparison, now I run into crappy dictionary, (not to mention Amazon has better "sample book" which goes straight into Ch1 instead of B&N only shows you table of content? very disappointing)

I bought Amazon Kindle which uses New Oxford American Dictionary which has far simpler understandable definition than the archaic incomprehensible long definition from old school Merriam Webster dictionary personally sucks, it's content irrelevant. PLEASE make it as an upgrade soon to New Oxford American Dictionary! This is seriously a big let down.

Contributor
RossTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Not happy about the dictionary either.

Contributor
escape-reader
0 Kudos

I'm not fond of it, and the navigation to words really stink. I prefer eink to backlit for long stints of reading. However, I much prefer the lookup ability on the nook app for my toshiba thrive tablet over the native dictionary on the nook, hands down.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 203 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: